2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The "updates on band bookings over coming months" from that post 6 months ago never really materialised, did they?

there's not really much point in announcing stuff as it doesn't really drive any ticket sales at the mo.

So it's probably better to try and hold announcements back in the hope that things will look more positive so that people then buy tickets.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there's not really much point in announcing stuff as it doesn't really drive any ticket sales at the mo.

So it's probably better to try and hold announcements back in the hope that things will look more positive so that people then buy tickets.

Fair enough but End of the Road sells out every year (if I'm not mistaken) so can relax on the sales front more than most. And they're already on the final ticket tier.

And after no festivals for 12-15 months, there's likely to be even more pent-up demand than normal surely.

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

Fair enough but End of the Road sells out every year (if I'm not mistaken) so can relax on the sales front more than most. And they're already on the final ticket tier.

And after no festivals for 12-15 months, there's likely to be even more pent-up demand than normal surely.

yep, but any festival still needs to get people's attention with announcements to help sell the tickets - and most festivals can't afford to not sell the tickets.

So why risk it? Tickets will sell much much better when there's a positive view of actually going ahead, and where announcements can be used to help drive those sales.

Festivals have just had a disastrous year. They need to ensure it's not repeated, so I expect festivals to take the best approach/least cost & risk/most beneficial they can to every aspect of trying to put on a festival next summer.

Yep, prepared for EOTR to wait it out. Whilst more line-up news would be welcome to those of us who already have tickets, there is simply no point in promoting it right now.

I mean, I'm already eyeing up one day of that Black Deer Festival, but there is no way I'm even going to consider buying a ticket this year. Let's see what the outlook appears to be in the new year and take it from there. Summer festivals are now starting to look a little more feasible with the vaccine news, but there's a long way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ichacu said:

I noticed EOTR are following Phoebe Bridgers but she's never played the festival, maybe shes playing next year? There are also rumours shes dating Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes which would increase the likelihood of this

I don’t think promoters book their artists in for shows based on who is dating who.

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

I don’t think promoters book their artists in for shows based on who is dating who.

It can be a factor if they're travelling/touring together.

There's probably better examples but at EOTR last year, Hannah Cohen almost certainly wouldn't have played a (fantastic) Piano Stage set if she'd not been at the festival anyway with Sam Evian.

2 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

This has made me think of something to put to the forum - if Angel Olsen, the only one of the top six names that EOTR didn't confirm in their postponement announcement, isn't returning for 2021 would you prefer Bright Eyes to be promoted into headliner or someone else to be brought in?

Personally, someone else. Not that fussed about Bright Eyes. Will watch them if no-one else that takes my fancy is on at the same time, but I'd prefer an alternative to Bright Eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

They also shared their favourite records of 2020. I wonder if any of them will be playing next year?🤞

Would they really sneak out an announcement before the vast majority of other, earlier summer festivals, at a time when they're surely not expecting to sell extra tickets because of both Christmas and uncertainty (the latter of course being the reason for the lack of announcements, especially amid things like Parklife moving from mid-June to September out of caution), and only trailed as an afterthought to their end of year lists?

2 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Would they really sneak out an announcement before the vast majority of other, earlier summer festivals, at a time when they're surely not expecting to sell extra tickets because of both Christmas and uncertainty (the latter of course being the reason for the lack of announcements, especially amid things like Parklife moving from mid-June to September out of caution), and only trailed as an afterthought to their end of year lists?

On the otherhand, it being in September may make people feel more confident about it actually happening. So announcing more acts before christmas in an attempt to boost ticket sales isn't that crazy. As for it being an "afterthought to their end of year lists", I don't think that's relevant at all. Some festivals tease announcements, others just suddenly announce stuff with no warning.

Sure it might not be the lineup, but can't rule it out yet

8 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

On the otherhand, it being in September may make people feel more confident about it actually happening. So announcing more acts before christmas in an attempt to boost ticket sales isn't that crazy. As for it being an "afterthought to their end of year lists", I don't think that's relevant at all. Some festivals tease announcements, others just suddenly announce stuff with no warning.

Sure it might not be the lineup, but can't rule it out yet

They have a style, however. It's usually something like "we have some news on Thursday" a few days before and then the night before there's a teaser with some song lyrics. Trailing an announcement on a "P.S." about their favourite movies would be unusual for EOTR.

Edit: just seen they did say "we have some news on Thursday" as part of their AOTY list as well as the film of the year list thing. Still, I think they'd be making more of a song and dance about an act announcement, as they usually do.

Edited by dentalplan