2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

20 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yeah. Supply either way. Its just not going to be there.

You can pretty much turn this on its head and say that because of the potential pressure on indoor and fixed venues, or the inherent risk of a lack of them in the future, then outdoor festivals might offer the best alternatives. On the other hand, of course, overseas bands are unlikely to come over without the structure of a full tour, which would inevitably involve indoor theatres. I would assume arena-size acts would be another ballgame and this would not be relevant to them, but then, they're not the acts that EOTR would be looking at anyway.

1 hour ago, RedRockRick said:

You can pretty much turn this on its head and say that because of the potential pressure on indoor and fixed venues, or the inherent risk of a lack of them in the future, then outdoor festivals might offer the best alternatives. On the other hand, of course, overseas bands are unlikely to come over without the structure of a full tour, which would inevitably involve indoor theatres. I would assume arena-size acts would be another ballgame and this would not be relevant to them, but then, they're not the acts that EOTR would be looking at anyway.

Not necessarily, a lot of acts this year (including Pixies) were coming over for long stretches of European festivals with maybe the odd gig in between. But then, to bang this drum again, the situation with travel costs, long haul travel willingness, booking fees, Europe-to-UK ease etc is going to be very different from (assuming the summer goes ahead) 2021 onwards.

On the back of talking about independent festivals' struggle earlier the AIF has released details of how the shutdown will affect the sector: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/13/uk-live-music-festivals-sector-at-risk-coronavirus

This, I imagine, doesn't even begin to cover the issues festivals will have, especially when I keep seeing "hope they keep the lineup for 2021/at least there's something to look forward to next year" posted on here.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 1

yeah...its worrying.....best thing, I guess, is to keep tickets for next year (so no need for tickets refunds), whilst having a bit of understanding when line ups arnt QUITE as 'great' and there isnt as much other offerings as they used to be for a few years while they recover costs etc.

We (me and clan) dont think we can make it next year, due to child starting school. IF it was just a start of a new school year in the same school, we would be there in an instant. But.....new school.....its different, innit.

Bloody kids.

I'll certainly be rolling my ticket over.

EotR has become a thing that's worth a lot more to me than the ticket price, meet a group of friends there every year some of whom I only see the once a year, and I've long since written off this year's money anyway. If the festival is struggling and I had to pay some additional bit extra next year or if they were inviting a bit of crowdfunding to ensure we still had a festival then I'd do so without an issue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

We will have to check to see. It depends on term times for our kid's first school year. If it was just a normal end of summer break, we would take her out of school to go. First school year?!? She will have to go, wont she?

If we cant go next year, I wonder if we can 'rollover' our tickets till 2022....IF not, we will use that refund and invest in Green Man or another independent festival.

Gutting.

Unfortunately steeling myself for the inevitable. Will I be rolling over my ticket for next year? Absolutely. EOTR has become a big part of my year, and a weekend away with my 2 lads for great music, great people and great beers. Would I donate to a crowdfund? See previous answer...

78F1C45B-D90F-4B0C-90FC-4F3EFF947AC5.jpeg

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

When do you reckon we'll get a confirmation of cancellation? Surely gotta be within the next few weeks?

Surprised we haven't got it already. Maybe they're just sorting out their insurances etc before they confirm.

Its defo not happening though!

I think it's inevitable it will be cancelled, but if the impossible happened, would you be happy to attend albeit with a much less popular line up? Personally, I'd be happy if they could muster up a UK only based festival of whoever they can find. I'd be happy to go regardless, I'm sure it would still be lovely.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, staffop said:

I think it's inevitable it will be cancelled, but if the impossible happened, would you be happy to attend albeit with a much less popular line up? Personally, I'd be happy if they could muster up a UK only based festival of whoever they can find. I'd be happy to go regardless, I'm sure it would still be lovely.

It's a moot point of course but I wouldn't go.

Not because I wouldn't want to (sure I would have a good time) but because close gatherings of several thousand people risk a series of deadly infections.

15 hours ago, staffop said:

I would go, if I didnt have a child considered to be 'at risk'.