2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

I'm resigned to the fact that it probably won't go ahead, but still clinging on to some hope of something to look forward to. They're generally on site around two weeks before the event, but working remotely as a team right now probably isn't especially efficient.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, xxialac said:

On the other hand there are a tonne of European bands that haven’t earned over the Summer and could surely fill in. 

Very doubtful it goes ahead all the same. A music festival is not going to high on the list of government priorities to sanction. Sad times...

Yeah, who knows? Deposit payment date is July, so I think thatll be when theyll say one way or the other. Band payments wont be due until a month beforehand.

I don't know, it's only a couple of weeks since we were being told large gatherings may not return for up to six months (which I saw quoted as a fresh scientific estimate in a sports news item over the weekend), so adding another year to that feels like alarmism for quotability - not to mention that if it does take another eighteen months there won't be concert venues or festival grounds to return to.

52 minutes ago, xxialac said:

One small silver lining is that EOTR is so late in the calendar.

Vaccines are far more likely to be available in time for EOTR 2021, whereas the Spring and early Summer festivals in 2021 are already in jeopardy.

13 hours ago, xxialac said:

Hope is gone sadly.

They’ve just cancelled the later in the calendar Oktoberfest in less infected Germany and that even with a proposal to ban overseas attendees.

Different governments are approaching this in different ways. Germany’s done a hard and fast cancellation of summer with extra cancellations just to be sure, while the USA is ready to party thru the pandemic. When larger late-August UK festivals get pulled then  it’s time to properly chew your nails but there are July ones still standing at the moment.

Edited by dentalplan

49 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Different governments are approaching this in different ways. Germany’s done a hard and fast cancellation of summer with extra cancellations just to be sure, while the USA is ready to party thru the pandemic. When larger late-August UK festivals get pulled then  it’s time to properly chew your nails but there are July ones still standing at the moment.

The UK is already way behind Germany. Nonetheless it's impossible to make a large event of 15,000 people like this safe.  The modelling suggests you can just about add the opening of schools and allowing young people to work to keep the infection rate stable. But no more than that. 

The USA is all Trump bravado. No way are they partying on and shrugging their shoulders as their death rate goes up. Coachella - even in October - has practically no chance.

It's not that the UK government is allowing festivals in August they just haven't got round to letting the hammer fall yet. There's nothing to be won for them by allowing them to go ahead and everything to lose. I desperately wish this weren't the case.

Still at least EOTR are allowing refunds for those that need it. I hope for the festival's survival's sake not many people take up that option...

I dunno....I read all the reports and analysis, and it all seems certain that nowt is going on this summer. And yet....and yet.....

Well......our lives have changed completely in such a short space of time. In 6 weeks, society has turned on its head. Why can't something drastic happen in a short space of time again? And, in 6 weeks time, everything might possibly return to some sort of normal, where festival's can happen again?!? 

I realise that this is HIGHLY unlikely. And with this rotten government in charge, I won't be surprised if it's like this for a few years yet (or worse, if all our medical staff die off because those in charge are incapable of buying anything to protect them. Etc.). However......I'm trying to have a glimmer of optimism. You know?!?

Expect the worst but hope for the best. X

1 hour ago, retromoz said:

I dunno....I read all the reports and analysis, and it all seems certain that nowt is going on this summer. And yet....and yet.....

Well......our lives have changed completely in such a short space of time. In 6 weeks, society has turned on its head. Why can't something drastic happen in a short space of time again? And, in 6 weeks time, everything might possibly return to some sort of normal, where festival's can happen again?!? 

I realise that this is HIGHLY unlikely. And with this rotten government in charge, I won't be surprised if it's like this for a few years yet (or worse, if all our medical staff die off because those in charge are incapable of buying anything to protect them. Etc.). However......I'm trying to have a glimmer of optimism. You know?!?

Expect the worst but hope for the best. X

I’m a big optimist myself but what potential drastic change could allow it to go ahead? There doesn’t seem to be anything possible that fits the ‘bail us all out’ category. Sorry for being a crap optimist...

21 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I’m a big optimist myself but what potential drastic change could allow it to go ahead? There doesn’t seem to be anything possible that fits the ‘bail us all out’ category. Sorry for being a crap optimist...

I don't have the answer either. Maybe....this trial for a vaccine goes super well and our manufacturing capabilities are suitable enough to vaccinate at least those most vunerable, so we can be let out to play etc.

Looking at the evidence, I obviously don't think that WILL happen (it requires a belief in anything Matt Hancock spews out of his lying mouth which borders on the insane). But.....again, the way this thing escalated was so quick that.....I just wonder..... could it be reversed just as quick, for an as yet undefined reason?

I figure not. But....I need SOMETHING to look forward to, lest my brain explodes from frustration and worry etc...