2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

1 hour ago, robith said:

So I'm working through the line up - any electronica kind of vibes beyond WH Lung anywhere? I liked the odd bleep to break stuff up ya know

it is a step back from the more electronic, experimental and ""world"" line-ups of the last two years

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WM Hall said:

it is a step back from the more electronic, experimental and ""world"" line-ups of the last two years

True, although it is nice to see them booking hip hop acts. Hopefully there will be a few more experimental acts announced though. 

I think I'm correct in saying that this year's first announcement contains far less names than 2019's did so there's lots still to be announced. 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:33 PM, robith said:

So I'm working through the line up - any electronica kind of vibes beyond WH Lung anywhere? I liked the odd bleep to break stuff up ya know

Give Romero a listen...also possibly Little Simz and Arlo Parks on a slightly more hip hop vibe...

oh god...I said vibe...

Edited by gigs

On 1/24/2020 at 8:12 PM, Guy Incognito said:

True, although it is nice to see them booking hip hop acts. Hopefully there will be a few more experimental acts announced though. 

I think I'm correct in saying that this year's first announcement contains far less names than 2019's did so there's lots still to be announced. 

Was around 2 weeks earlier than last year. May be a reason 

Help please! I'm a newbie here, normally we go to Glastonbury and camp out at the Park Stage or John peel tent. Alas, no tickets, so booked EOTR based on reviews and previous lineups.
I'm trying to get excited about this lineup however struggling. My big dislike is arty, portentous music and rap. (Anna Calvi would be my worst nightmare) Many artists who've played here before seemed perfect;
17 - Father Jon Misty, Band of Horses, Parquet Courts, TY Segal
18 - Vampire Weekend, Gruff Rhys, Jeff Tweedy, Idles, Amen Dunes, White Denim
19 - Michael Kiwanuka, Metronomy, Courtney Barnett, Cass Mccombs, Fontaines D.C
Unfortunately, I seem to have stumbled on a year when I know less about who's playing, I've previously seen The Pixies, Richard Hawley and Bright Eyes.
Those apart I'm struggling. Angel Olsen, King Krule, Big Thief, Aldous Harding all seem to be bordering on the arty side of things? (Whitney do sound interesting) .
Can anyone suggest something decent to invest time with.Will there be any other announcements or are all the main acts announced? Many thanks and apologies for the long posting! :}

33 minutes ago, KevRP said:

Help please! I'm a newbie here, normally we go to Glastonbury and camp out at the Park Stage or John peel tent. Alas, no tickets, so booked EOTR based on reviews and previous lineups.
I'm trying to get excited about this lineup however struggling. My big dislike is arty, portentous music and rap. (Anna Calvi would be my worst nightmare) Many artists who've played here before seemed perfect;
Unfortunately, I seem to have stumbled on a year when I know less about who's playing, I've previously seen The Pixies, Richard Hawley and Bright Eyes.
Those apart I'm struggling. Angel Olsen, King Krule, Big Thief, Aldous Harding all seem to be bordering on the arty side of things? (Whitney do sound interesting) .
Can anyone suggest something decent to invest time with.Will there be any other announcements or are all the main acts announced? Many thanks and apologies for the long posting! :}

Probably about half the acts announced so far.  You could start by checking out Squid, WH Lung, Dry Cleaning, Warmduscher, Black Country New Road, Big Joanie all of whom are excellent live.

22 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

Probably about half the acts announced so far.  You could start by checking out Squid, WH Lung, Dry Cleaning, Warmduscher, Black Country New Road, Big Joanie all of whom are excellent live.

Black Country New Road are definitely arty and portentous :)

On 1/26/2020 at 9:43 PM, KevRP said:

Really struggling at the idea that Angel Olson and Big Thief are arty but Misty and white denim arent!

Theres a few playlists about, when I last went in 2018 I found putting them on shuffle while I played FIFA was a great way to get under the skin of what I wanted to check out

I suppose its what you know. Angel Olsen (10) and Big Thief (19) both feature in Q magazine top albums of 2019. Hopefully I'll be a convert after seeing them in September (certainly wouldn't be the first time I've misjudged someone) - the beauty of festivals after all. 

how Father John Misty isn't in the "portentous" category is utterly mindblowing... easily one of the most pretentious men around. and if you dislike "arty" music, why are you going to a festival that has always featured predominantly "arty" music? seems entirely counterintuitive...it would be like getting a ticket to Download and then saying "hey guys I really dislike metal, is there anything on the bill for me?"

Google 'portentous', it has two spellings. I certainly didn't come on here to upset the locals, just find out some some solid bands to listen to. As for Father John, I entirely agree he is way up his own backside. His famously awkward interview with RadMac on 6 Music is legendary. Saying that, his Park Stage set gyrating on the floor to Smiling and Astride was quite epic (particularly to my good lady who swoons over him) 

LTTP sharing my thoughts on the lineup but it's ticking enough boxes for me to justify paying off the rest of the balance on the ticket.

Little Simz is the highlight for me and a name I was not expecting to be there. Also happy to see Big Thief, Richard Hawley, Whitney, Bright Eyes, The Comet Is Coming, Pixies, Penelope Isles, Dry Cleaning.

It's enough names for me to be excited about with plenty of the unfamiliar to discover and that's just how I like my festival line-ups.

21 hours ago, KevRP said:

(And for the avoidance of doubt as I'm being vilified, portentous in this context means solemn. I guess it was pretentious of me to use it!) 

"vilified'

it was some exceptionally mild ribbing alongside providing you with some tips and recommendations

• Like 1