2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

2 minutes ago, WM Hall said:

I'd imagine Richard Hawley will headline Garden. Wouldn't be surprised if Whitney or Aldous Harding did too

Whitney and Aldous both strike me more as Woods bands. I think if it is Richard Hawley and Bright Eyes then the third Garden headliner probably needs to be someone a bit different stylistically to those two.

I imagine they'd have to have something significant like a Garden headliner or two to hold back for the second announcement. I can't help thinking Hawley might be on Woods as a kind of thank you given he was there right at the start (and the fact that unless I'm missing one, last time he played EOTR there wasn't a Woods stage)

I've gotta say that part of the early excitement around EOTR has gone for me, because the ways in which they book bands becomes more and more obvious. If you pay attention to the 'indie' media or the various EOTR pages across the year, you get a decent idea of who is playing. For example, Angel Olsen and Big Thief were never not going to play - lets be real - two of the biggest and best received indie artists of 2019 and therefore compulsory bookings. BC,NR, Squid, Jerkcurb, Katy J Pearson were always going to play, as the EOTR crew are clearly fans of the lot (the xmas show gives some hint). Simon's posted about King Krule on his Instagram for years, so it was only a matter of time before that happened. Little Simz was briefly on the poster last year before being removed, so it's not surprise that she's back. Girl Ray, Girl Band, Richard Dawson, Aldous Harding all had albums out last year - Andy Shauf and Whitney, who I think have both played the festival before, have new albums out this year. Bright Eyes was going to happen someday, and Richard Hawley doesn't take much imagination.

The only real curveball is Pixies, which is cool, but for the most part it's fairly predictable. That's not to say those aren't great bands - I'd very happily see most of those - but it just doesn't have that excitement anymore. 

Part of the reason I love the other festival I go to annually - Le Guess Who in Utrecht - is because I have absolutely no clue who might be playing each year

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, WM Hall said:

I've gotta say that part of the early excitement around EOTR has gone for me, because the ways in which they book bands becomes more and more obvious. If you pay attention to the 'indie' media or the various EOTR pages across the year, you get a decent idea of who is playing. For example, Angel Olsen and Big Thief were never not going to play - lets be real - two of the biggest and best received indie artists of 2019 and therefore compulsory bookings. BC,NR, Squid, Jerkcurb, Katy J Pearson were always going to play, as the EOTR crew are clearly fans of the lot (the xmas show gives some hint). Simon's posted about King Krule on his Instagram for years, so it was only a matter of time before that happened. Little Simz was briefly on the poster last year before being removed, so it's not surprise that she's back. Girl Ray, Girl Band, Richard Dawson, Aldous Harding all had albums out last year - Andy Shauf and Whitney, who I think have both played the festival before, have new albums out this year. Bright Eyes was going to happen someday, and Richard Hawley doesn't take much imagination.

The only real curveball is Pixies, which is cool, but for the most part it's fairly predictable. That's not to say those aren't great bands - I'd very happily see most of those - but it just doesn't have that excitement anymore. 

Part of the reason I love the other festival I go to annually - Le Guess Who in Utrecht - is because I have absolutely no clue who might be playing each year

Le guess who looks such a interesting festival. Would like to go one day. Any festival that books Sunn O))) is looking the right way. 

23 minutes ago, WM Hall said:

Tbf last years headliners were surprising. Just not in a good way...

Just now, SweepingTheNation said:

Some artists use the first date of the festival in their tour dates before they know exactly when they're playing, but also being the fourth named of the headliners on the poster and blurb might mean they're in the fourth priority headline slot.

Absolutely. Buck Meek is playing solo too so guess they’ll be hanging around on there Friday if it’s correct. 

8 hours ago, RustySpanner said:

Interested in people’s thoughts on Pinegrove playing. I guess it means Simon is convinced enough that Evan deserves another chance. What do others think?

(Actually really like the new album from a musical point of view)

7 hours ago, RustySpanner said:

I wasn't aware of this, and I guess there has to be a bit of concern. And words are wind and need to be backed up by actions - nonetheless if saying the right words (and acknowledging some understanding of the issues) is a necessary and first step to redemption then he has at least come a million times closer to saying the right things than Ryan Adams has.

I'd be interested in a female perspective though. I'm also curious whether Simon will have sounded out other artists as to their willingness to share a bill with them.

38 minutes ago, WM Hall said:

While I agree, I heard several people last year state that LGW? was getting predictable /starting to overlap too much with Unsound/Rewire. 

Also heard one group saying they could get a similar experience at Primavera (which I think is nonsense but anyway..) which overlaps quite a bit with EoTR so we come full circle. 

Somebody with more knowledge than me could most likely explain the live music networks that have led to this but it does feel like we are now in an era of very many very good line ups but few unique ones, whatever your tastes. So probably we need to reset expectations a bit with these announcements. 

5 hours ago, Damon said:

What are peoples experiences of this festival? Is it all woodland/forest etc? Sounds like a really nice environment for a semi chilled festival, have people done green man? Which is better in your opinions? 

OK, here goes, a quick personal EOTR/GM comparison as someone who goes to both festivals. 

• Surroundings, outside of the site itself. Both great, but Green Man wins here. The mountains and the town of Crickhowell within walking distance.
  • The site itself. EOTR wins here for the Garden Stage and the Woods alone.
  • Food. Score draw.
  • Beer. Both excellent, but EOTR wins here purely because the good stuff is more spread out across the site not just in one place. The queues at The Courtyard at GM can be off-putting.
  • Main Stage: The Mountain Stage at GM wins here.
  • Second Stage: No competition. The Garden Stage at EOTR is magnificent.
  • Tented Stage: Green Man wins here for open sides.
  • Camping: Score draw.
  • Car Parking: The walk from Orange Car Park at GM is grim, so EOTR gets the points.
  • People: Similar but different. Green Man has more families. So the points depend on your attitude to that.
  • Comedy and Literature: Much more a thing at Green Man.
  • Local community involvement: Easy win for Green Man.
  • Music: Look at the lineup and decide for yourself. It's a personal thing.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, raikeswood said:

OK, here goes, a quick personal EOTR/GM comparison as someone who goes to both festivals. 

• Surroundings, outside of the site itself. Both great, but Green Man wins here. The mountains and the town of Crickhowell within walking distance.
  • Food. Score draw.
  • Beer. Both excellent, but EOTR wins here purely because the good stuff is more spread out across the site not just in one place. The queues at The Courtyard at GM can be off-putting.
  • Car Parking: The walk from Orange Car Park at GM is grim, so EOTR gets the points.
  • People: Similar but different. Green Man has more families. So the points depend on your attitude to that.

Thanks! I can see you put some time in to that!

The site comparison is really drawing me in, and the fact it's less family orientated as we would attend as a couple. Can't think of anything better than stumbling around some pretty woods after a night of great music!

I'm more for the music, but heard EOTR had a cinema section, I love film so would be interested in that also!

The line up looks great and I'm also attending Prima this year, so would give me a chance to see people I'd otherwise miss!

14 hours ago, raikeswood said:

• Food. Score draw.

Another thanks for this. Considering both this year. Have done EOTR a few times and LOVE it but the weekend/school thing is a small (not unsurmountable) problem, so may give GM a go, line up dependent.

Love the EOTR line up this year though. 

Pixies - 2m Facebook likes - last London gig Ally Pally 10,400 cap.

King Krule - 249k Facebook likes - two nights at Brixton Academy c. 10,000 cap.

Angel Olsen - 122k Facebook likes - one night at Eventim Apollo c. 3500-5000 cap.

Big Thief - 49k Facebook likes - one night at Eventim Apollo c. 3500-5000 cap.

King Krule is without a doubt the second biggest headliner. Perhaps not as popular among the EOTR crowd as Angel Olsen and Big Thief, but certainly a bigger 'get'. Big Thief on the Thursday makes lots of sense.

1 hour ago, WM Hall said:

Pixies - 2m Facebook likes - last London gig Ally Pally 10,400 cap.

King Krule - 249k Facebook likes - two nights at Brixton Academy c. 10,000 cap.

Angel Olsen - 122k Facebook likes - one night at Eventim Apollo c. 3500-5000 cap.

Big Thief - 49k Facebook likes - one night at Eventim Apollo c. 3500-5000 cap.

King Krule is without a doubt the second biggest headliner. Perhaps not as popular among the EOTR crowd as Angel Olsen and Big Thief, but certainly a bigger 'get'. Big Thief on the Thursday makes lots of sense.

Isn't King Krule quite big in the US? I know Pitchfork are big fans