50th book / 50th festival crossover?

assorted

Just got the Glastonbury 50th book and very much enjoying it. 

Was wondering people’s thoughts on the people who volunteered words for the book and how likely you think they will play or show up as a guest at the 50th festival? Do you think the festival is making special efforts to host/invite the below people in the book for the 50th festival?

Here is a list of people who wrote words:

Melanie 
Chris Difford - Squeeze
Peter Hook - New Order
Billy Bragg
Suzanne Vega
John Cooper Clarke
Jarvis Cocker
Noel Gallagher
Skin - Skunk Anansie
Ed Simons - Chemical Brothers
Banksy
Chris Martin - Coldplay
Jay-Z
Ed O’Brien - Radiohead
Guy Garvey - Elbow
Dolly Parton
Lars Ulrich - Metallica
Adele

From the above I’d say I’d be most excited about Peter Hook’s band that’s doing Joy Division songs (which seems like a lock for Sunday looking at their current tour dates), I would be excited as a goofy foreign tourist if Banksy did something on site,  and Suzanne Vega. Though if Vega was a headliner that might be a tough choice for me with something else.

I would be curious how Skin from Skunk Anansie would appear - solo or with the band. I quite liked that band when they were active (I’m old)  and I see they’ve reformed and still play occasionally? 

Guessing the most unlikely from the above would be Jay-Z, Dolly Parton & Lars Ulrich. I can definitely see Adele as a guest spot but don’t know for who... 

I know Chris Martin said he wasn’t playing but... I mean, c’mon. 

Ed O’Brien claims to have a solo album finished and will be touring this year... and we know Thom Yorke is likely playing...

I think Melanie would be a very nice surprise and Wikipedia says she is still active.

Chemical Brothers - I realize they seem unlikely because of last year but if Noel Gallagher is returning couldn’t they in some way? 

Curious everyone else’s thoughts about this? 

2 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

Pretty sure he does something on site every year (Stormzy's vest, the stuffed animals in the truck etc)

Cool and lovely! As this is my first year attending I will be searching twitter i bet to figure out what and where he is up to this year.

It’s funny he was in NYC where I live for a month but I never sought out his work that month (but I did follow & enjoy the news articles and photos of the work and stunts as they happened). It just seems like a very appropriate thing to do if visiting England for the first time, like I am - “see a live Banksy.” 

1 minute ago, assorted said:

Cool and lovely! As this is my first year attending I will be searching twitter i bet to figure out what and where he is up to this year.

It’s funny he was in NYC where I live for a month but I never sought out his work that month (but I did follow & enjoy the news articles and photos of the work and stunts as they happened). It just seems like a very appropriate thing to do if visiting England for the first time, like I am - “see a live Banksy.” 

Im sure he will have bits and pieces around the site, but tbh there is so much art around (especially in some of the later night areas / shangri-la) that you probably wont know you've seen a banksy till you get home and see it on a forum / news article. 

You never know tho! Best of luck finding one! 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

Im sure he will have bits and pieces around the site, but tbh there is so much art around (especially in some of the later night areas / shangri-la) that you probably wont know you've seen a banksy till you get home and see it on a forum / news article. 

This brings me to my Banksy story ... apologies to those who may have seen this one already. Back in 2007 we were quite drunk in Shangri la   and in the early hours of the morning my friend was spray painted by someone who said they were Banksy ... off they vanished into the night ... we will never know if it was actually him .... but he was round and about the festival and is usually ....my friend washed it off in the end ... :( 

glasto07 039.jpeg

Edited by crazyfool1

46 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

those banksy di-face notes seem to be found by people most years judging by art forum posts ive seen - (would be a good find, seen a gallery selling them for about $900 each!)

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Might go round spray-painting people and telling them I'm Banksy. Seems to work.

Just the situation I guess ... I’m not sure it was ... in fact I’m probably more sure it wasn’t ... but it’s a quite a nice thought nevertheless:) in the small chance it might have been him 

2 hours ago, assorted said:

I would be curious how Skin from Skunk Anansie would appear - solo or with the band. I quite liked that band when they were active (I’m old)  and I see they’ve reformed and still play occasionally? 

Saw them at Beautiful Days last year and they killed it. Would defo go and see them if they played the 50th

3 hours ago, assorted said:

Just got the Glastonbury 50th book and very much enjoying it. 

Was wondering people’s thoughts on the people who volunteered words for the book and how likely you think they will play or show up as a guest at the 50th festival? Do you think the festival is making special efforts to host/invite the below people in the book for the 50th festival?

Here is a list of people who wrote words:

Melanie 
Chris Difford - Squeeze
Peter Hook - New Order
Billy Bragg
Suzanne Vega
John Cooper Clarke
Jarvis Cocker
Noel Gallagher
Skin - Skunk Anansie
Ed Simons - Chemical Brothers
Banksy
Chris Martin - Coldplay
Jay-Z
Ed O’Brien - Radiohead
Guy Garvey - Elbow
Dolly Parton
Lars Ulrich - Metallica
Adele

From the above I’d say I’d be most excited about Peter Hook’s band that’s doing Joy Division songs (which seems like a lock for Sunday looking at their current tour dates), I would be excited as a goofy foreign tourist if Banksy did something on site,  and Suzanne Vega. Though if Vega was a headliner that might be a tough choice for me with something else.

Guessing the most unlikely from the above would be Jay-Z, Dolly Parton & Lars Ulrich. I can definitely see Adele as a guest spot but don’t know for who... 

I know Chris Martin said he wasn’t playing but... I mean, c’mon. 

Ed O’Brien claims to have a solo album finished and will be touring this year... and we know Thom Yorke is likely playing...

I think Melanie would be a very nice surprise and Wikipedia says she is still active.

Chemical Brothers - I realize they seem unlikely because of last year but if Noel Gallagher is returning couldn’t they in some way? 

Curious everyone else’s thoughts about this? 

Could see The Chemical Brothers potentially doing a DJ set somewhere more than likely Pangea. Would be Sat or Sun though because they’re playing in Finland on the Friday. Ed O’Brien will be there and if Thom Yorke’s there then they’ll surely be doing something together. Be nice if Pulp were to pop up, don’t know how likely that’d be though. 

I saw Peter Hook and the Light do unknown pleasures at Hop Farm 2012 the same year as Peter Gabriel and Bob Dylan

They were awesome and it was a great weekend it was to be the last one at Hop Farm I think which is a real shame as that was a gem of a festival. This is where I first heard The Jezabels live and they were excellent.

In some other threads there was some discussion ruling out or including Hall & Oates based on their USA tour dates which have a Glasto sized hole in them.

Following my above hypothesis about people in the book showing up for the 50th maybe it’s a Squeeze sized hole, their tour mates, not Hall & Oates? 

2 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

Just reading the book! For some reason its making me cry! Tht place brings out so many emotions! The family insights are so heart warming! Was thinking how many previous entertainers will return and how many of the original crew are still around! I just love tht farm!  

A great summary of the book! Since I got it I’ve read through it twice and pick it up almost daily to read bits of it.  The photographs  are so evocative and the book captures the essence of the festival. Can’t wait to be back!