Power to the People....did Glastonbury turn you into a Leftie?

parsonjack

7 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Not how I saw it or him. I was always deeply unimpressed by his style of 6th form politics. 

Edit: Anyway he’s gone now, so no need to worry about that anymore, don’t need this to become a JC debate. Apols. 

Indeed he has. 

I look forward to Keir Starmer on the Pyramid 2020 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Indeed he has. 

I look forward to Keir Starmer on the Pyramid 2020 😀

Oh Sir Keeee aaaar. Starma  

Doesn’t have the same ring to it , football style chants and politics don’t mix. 

one long bailey, there’s only one long bailey

we love you Jess o yes we do, Jess Phillips  we love you 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Oh Sir Keeee aaaar. Starma  

Doesn’t have the same ring to it , football style chants and politics don’t mix. 

one long bailey, there’s only one long bailey

we love you Jess o yes we do, Jess Phillips  we love you 

My god. We really dodged a bullet with the Corbyn stuff, these are awful 

43 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

I would have happily gone and voted BNP or something just to shut them up. 

Really?

I was taken to the Durham Miners Gala every year as a kids by my Dad so there was only going to be my politics was heading.

Only recently joined the Labour Party for the first time. Not sure who to vote for yet, they’re not a particularly inspiring bunch by any measure, I think it’s going to be a long 5 years.

Glastonbury can be a chance to feel the world as you'd like it to be.  By that I don't mean party politically but in terms of values: compassion, concern, sharing.  Hopefully some of that rubs off and people will go home wanting to that bit more for the world, whether it's getting involved with charities like Wateraid, Greenpeace of Oxfam or helping out by doing a bit of voluntary work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I really dislike labels, be they political, cultural or otherwise as they can be divisive and manipulative but that's just my opinion. Smarter people than me will give me a hundred reasons why they're important. I'd say that the attitude of the majority of people in attendance has influenced and educated me far more than specific areas like Leftfield or Greenpeace. I tend to use the five days at the festival as the barometer to how we should treat each other, in the main. The reality of how the real world is come Monday is always the factor that gives me the Glasto blues.

Inclusivity, tolerance, kindness, togetherness, equality. Just a few of the positive things that Glastonbury has exposed me to over the years. More important than the music, the politics, the headliners, the weather, all of it.

The thing is your post suggests that politics can be divorced from certain social dynamics; it can’t. You take issue with the idea of ‘labels’, and this point is in itself almost becoming cliched. Labels are just adjectives and we should use them to describe our position on things. Granted, they often act as shorthand and can be used to virtue signal, but what’s wrong with someone broadly describing them self as left wing rather than list their individual position on a range of different policies? 

Furthermore, the adjectives you then go on to use as being important to you, are intrinsically linked to the left, and completely at odds with what right wing parties and ideology values. 

Having 5 days in some fields with time to wander and contemplate is a nice refresher for me.  I'll spent varying amounts of time between none and quite a bit at the leftfield tent in any given year, depending on my mood, the state of the nation, the weather, the lineup and whether it fills a nice half hour as I'm passing with no particular destination.

I've seen some sights that would certainly turn non-lefties off there, a bit too much earnestness from some, over the top playing to the crowd from others and a few really good gigs besides.  When an act you love plays there it can be quite special (Akala, Alison Moyet and Enter Shikari stand out for me in recent years).

1 hour ago, lukethekid said:

3A2B1D5A-2DEE-441D-9477-ABE9FB48AA8C.jpeg

I've only ever come across two scousers in my life. One turned out to be as sound as a pound, and the other one hit only very marginally below that level. The difference, to me was the 'type' of humour between the two. One was as self effacing as a person and as somebody who enjoyed using and exploiting the language that they grew up with. If I said it was de-constructed, would you mind killing me? What does it mean? Please tell me that it actually is akin to a The Emperors New Clothes' parable?  Would it be a parable? Or even a Pruble? If you think it's a parable please now hook yourselves up to the National Grid. Would everybody else please stay still. Oh FFS please put the gun down, put the gun down. It's not big, it's not clever, and if we're not careful, it'll have somebody's eyes out. You know what I mean - ennit?

12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've only ever come across two scousers in my life. One turned out to be as sound as a pound, and the other one hit only very marginally below that level. The difference, to me was the 'type' of humour between the two. One was as self effacing as a person and as somebody who enjoyed using and exploiting the language that they grew up with. If I said it was de-constructed, would you mind killing me? What does it mean? Please tell me that it actually is akin to a The Emperors New Clothes' parable?  Would it be a parable? Or even a Pruble? If you think it's a parable please now hook yourselves up to the National Grid. Would everybody else please stay still. Oh FFS please put the gun down, put the gun down. It's not big, it's not clever, and if we're not careful, it'll have somebody's eyes out. You know what I mean - ennit?

You had me at hello 

Real life had already turned me into a bit of leftie, (long story. I'd started to type my political social economic awakening history, but you don't want that do you).

How Glastonbury has turned me over the years possibly?:

Convinced me that there are way better things to spend money on than Trident. (CND).

Made me wonder why so many people on this planet still don't have decent water access? (I mean really? The Romans had worked out plumbing hadn't they?) (Water Aid).

Why the fuck are there so many more homeless people 'round my way recently? (Shelter).

Plastic = bad for planet. Farming for meat = bad for planet. Everyone going vegan would do a lot to save the planet. (But we'd have to eat the locusts to save the vegetables wouldn't we? (Joke (:o). (Greenpeace).

Leave No Trace. I was brought up not to litter and I hate it even more now.

I am still crap at at all of the above mind and have just realised that the above sounds like "virtue signalling".

But? No!

Just a slightly more aware hypocrite.

49 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

You had me at hello 

I'm really unsure if I've managed to upset you, or not? Now I don't know if you are thinking that my post was anti-scouser? I can see how it could, possibly, be taken that way. However, the intent behind my post does not lie in that direction. In fact, it actually, to my eyes, indicates the opposite ie. that I've only had two serious interactions with scousers over time, and both of them passed with flying colours. 

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, this;

9 hours ago, monosabio said:

I thought the Corbyn adulation in 2017 was over the top, although, to be fair, I was watching Busted on the Avalon at the time. I have ventured into Leftfield a few times over the years but never stayed too long. The defining spirit of Glastonbury is to be found in the Green Fields.

Mass hysteria. 

As long as I have been able to understand politics I have been "left" but I also find the labels diminishing.

Glastonbury and the like has made me a better person. Who knows, I may have gotten there on my own, and my parents had something to do with it I'm sure, but they would probably shit their pants if they realized how 'left' I truly am. 

I find myself more and more going out of my way to be helpful to strangers, and I know that's the Glastonbury spirit that's got me. 

As long as I can remember I've been 'left'. As I've grown older I have realised I don't fully agree with everything a party has to offer, of course I agree with more policies than others but I would say these days I agree with multiple parties policies and that is probably the biggest issue Labour have had since they were in power. I would say I agree with a large amount of Labour and then I also agree with the Lib Dems and I also agree with the Green's. So it makes it tough, I did vote labour in a very Labour orientated seat  (which meant nowt this election if you look at Blyth etc) but I'd say the best way to describe me is a Green, Left leaning, Liberal Democrat.

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm really unsure if I've managed to upset you, or not? Now I don't know if you are thinking that my post was anti-scouser? I can see how it could, possibly, be taken that way. However, the intent behind my post does not lie in that direction. In fact, it actually, to my eyes, indicates the opposite ie. that I've only had two serious interactions with scousers over time, and both of them passed with flying colours. 

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, this;

Don’t be daft, it was just a joke because it seemed like your message started really normal and then you just went off a bit a tangent. It’s mad that you’ve only ever came across two scousers especially as a Glasto attendee, the place is full of them, but no I wasn’t upset sorry for potentially upsetting you because you thought you’d upset me. 

10 hours ago, glastofun said:

The thing is your post suggests that politics can be divorced from certain social dynamics; it can’t. You take issue with the idea of ‘labels’, and this point is in itself almost becoming cliched. Labels are just adjectives and we should use them to describe our position on things. Granted, they often act as shorthand and can be used to virtue signal, but what’s wrong with someone broadly describing them self as left wing rather than list their individual position on a range of different policies? 

Furthermore, the adjectives you then go on to use as being important to you, are intrinsically linked to the left, and completely at odds with what right wing parties and ideology values. 

Thank you for your eloquent response, you echo the sentiments of my former university lecturer and I do appreciate what you're saying. As I suggested, someone far more intelligent than myself could offer a hundred reasons why such adjectives are important. However, people were treating each other with compassion and empathy long before the terms "left" and "right" found their way into the modern vernacular. You may choose to associate my attitude to a particular ideology but I believe that labels (for want of a less cliche term), although they are important for some to define their specific principals or lifestyle choices, are constructs, unfortunately manipulated by those who seek to divide us based upon those very beliefs. That's what makes me uncomfortable.

And in response to the question posed in the OP, I believe that Glastonbury Festival in the main, breaks down the majority of those social barriers, simply by people behaving in a unifying, non-judgmental, inclusive manner. Just as life should be. 

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

And in response to the question posed in the OP, I believe that Glastonbury Festival in the main, breaks down the majority of those social barriers, simply by people behaving in a unifying, non-judgmental, inclusive manner. Just as life should be. 

Because we've all turned into lefties! ;)

26 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Don’t be daft, it was just a joke because it seemed like your message started really normal and then you just went off a bit a tangent. It’s mad that you’ve only ever came across two scousers especially as a Glasto attendee, the place is full of them, but no I wasn’t upset sorry for potentially upsetting you because you thought you’d upset me. 

Never more than 10 meters away from a scouser at Glastonbury. 

10 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Real life had already turned me into a bit of leftie, (long story. I'd started to type my political social economic awakening history, but you don't want that do you).

How Glastonbury has turned me over the years possibly?:

Convinced me that there are way better things to spend money on than Trident. (CND).

Made me wonder why so many people on this planet still don't have decent water access? (I mean really? The Romans had worked out plumbing hadn't they?) (Water Aid).

Why the fuck are there so many more homeless people 'round my way recently? (Shelter).

Plastic = bad for planet. Farming for meat = bad for planet. Everyone going vegan would do a lot to save the planet. (But we'd have to eat the locusts to save the vegetables wouldn't we? (Joke (:o). (Greenpeace).

Leave No Trace. I was brought up not to litter and I hate it even more now.

I am still crap at at all of the above mind and have just realised that the above sounds like "virtue signalling".

But? No!

Just a slightly more aware hypocrite.

This is it for me, more awareness of the importance of Glastonbury related Charity issues. Which some political parties give more importance to than others.

was left leaning before and still am.

glastonbury gives me hope that not all people and organisations are just out for more and more money and some care wider.