Emily Eavis to be named Godlike Genius at NME awards 2020

UEF

24 minutes ago, swede said:

In all seriousness The 1975 are closing the awards, hopefully Kendrick hasn’t fell through and those clowns don’t get announced as the final headliner 

Ah fantastic, a nice thread about an award for someone has done lots for a festival we love. Followed by a post throwing shade at a band that'll probably not even be playing.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Ah fantastic, a nice thread about an award for someone has done lots for a festival we love. Followed by a post throwing shade at a band that'll probably not even be playing.

We should probably bring Foals and James Arthur into the debate for good measure. 

37 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Interesting the article says the full lineup will be released in March, so we think they know something or just guessing?

Normally the case isn't it? Gives the early-April balance payers an opportunity to shit or get off the pot. 

43 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

As much as I love Emily, that is worst name of any award in history.

I concur.

But the word genius has been greatly devalued lately. It used to be you needed to split the atom for such a title, now you just have to work in the Apple shop...

35 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

16/17/19 Glastonbury first poster were all released in March. So probably just good guess work. 

they will have spoken to her a few times directly before announcing this of course, Emily gives them a decent heads up from first hand experience. NME awards are usually a good night for an announcement in some capacity, planned or not, so something that night and first post a few weeks after in March

6 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I concur.

But the word genius has been greatly devalued lately. It used to be you needed to split the atom for such a title, now you just have to work in the Apple shop...

When they started giving the award to Dave Grohl and the Manic Street Preachers without ever giving it to Bowie, it was clear it had become slightly less desirable than the name suggests.

45 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

When they started giving the award to Dave Grohl and the Manic Street Preachers without ever giving it to Bowie, it was clear it had become slightly less desirable than the name suggests.

I'd imagine the conversation goes "Will you take this award? You'll have to play a gig" to which Bowie would've said no. 

48 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It’s basically an NME lifetime achievement award handed out to anyone who hasn’t been given one yet. 

Nice for her work to be recognised but it’s not anything to get too excited over.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

I concur.

People that use "God like genius" as a non ironic term, are the same people who use the word "Biblical" whenever Liam Gallagher says or does anything.

I am guessing (though I don't know this) plenty are Wellends.

16 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

People that use "God like genius" as a non ironic term, are the same people who use the word "Biblical" whenever Liam Gallagher says or does anything.

I am guessing (though I don't know this) plenty are Wellends.

The use of the word Wellends says a lot about you. 

I had to look at the term 'wellend' and this is what I got;

A hybrid of Paul Weller & bell end, wellends are also known in popular culture as a c**ts. Defined by wearing Pretty Green & having a shit lego haircut in tribute to some old, weathered mod singer. Wellends are known to be pathological liars, they will brazenly claim they are lovers of music but will only listen to one band and have also been known to state they invented their tragic bonce job.
"Fuck me, look at that wellend over there. It should be illegal to have no fringe and side burns that long. Funniest bit is he's paid £100 at some fancy salon for that!"

I guess that's the right definition?

• Upvote 2