History Dissertation Discussion

SEL1997

Hi everyone,

I'm a History student in my final year and for my dissertation I'm focusing on the Glastonbury festival - In particular the various social conflicts that surrounded the festival in 1990. From some of the reading I've done it can be seen that this particular year had clashes between the travellers and security, Michael Eavis also had confrontations with the local people and the council and it can also be seen as a year that was significantly different to the festivals held previously. It could be argued that this year was a significant turning point for the festivals development and with the surrounding context of the UK at the time it also can be viewed as the point it left behind it's hippy and traveller roots, in exchange for more consumerist goals. 

Whatever the overall argument and direction will be though, depends a lot on the primary sources and I was therefore wondering if anyone was at the festival in 1990 that I could possibly talk to and somehow interview? If anyone has or knows of any primary sources (such as newspapers, records, photos, videos) from the time that might be useful or how to get them? And also what everyones general thoughts are on the main idea at the moment. I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks.  

Edited by SEL1997

5 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Good luck, interesting project. There are people on here who experienced the events so hopefully you’ll get some good information. In the meantime there’s an old thread on Efestivals, plus a book on the events:

http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/battle-of-the-beanfield/

erm ... the beanfield wasn't 1990, or at worthy farm. ;) 

3 hours ago, SEL1997 said:

It could be argued that this year was a significant turning point for the festivals development and with the surrounding context of the UK at the time it also can be viewed as the point it left behind it's hippy and traveller roots, in exchange for more consumerist goals. 

Could you make the argument?

Thanks for all the points and links so far everyone. I've followed them all up and they've been super interesting. Not entirely sure what the dissertation will look like in the end, or how good it'll be, but at least it's a fun topic that makes me excited about going to the festival again this year! 

This is what I can recall:-

In 1970 Glastonbury festival was full of hippies. Then at some point Michael Eavis got really, in and down with the Hells angels. One year Michael used this, new allegiance, to get the Hells angels to throw out the people attending the festival.  This event changed the social mix of the people that attended Glastonbury festival. This change has remained until the present day. I think the Hells angel thing happened around 1990.