Transporting large volumes from drop-off to the gate/site

woyski

Hi all,

Firstly, sorry if this has been asked a million times already - I did do a quick and likely shitty forum search 👍

3 of us were planning to drive & park originally, but now are considering getting a lift to the drop-off point to save money, but obviously compromising flexibility.  I've seen on the webpage that you're not allowed to bring any trollies and the like onto the shuttle.

So my question is, what things can you get away with that help you transport large amounts of stuff to the site?

We generally pack pretty minimally, but we're taking one 4-man and 2-man tent, with 2 blow-up mattresses (princesses, I know) and then the other necessities. Is it only gonna be us and our things allowed on the shuttle, or does anyone have some solid loopholes for that leg of the journey?

On 1/18/2020 at 6:24 PM, woyski said:

Hi all,

Firstly, sorry if this has been asked a million times already - I did do a quick and likely shitty forum search 👍

3 of us were planning to drive & park originally, but now are considering getting a lift to the drop-off point to save money, but obviously compromising flexibility.  I've seen on the webpage that you're not allowed to bring any trollies and the like onto the shuttle.

So my question is, what things can you get away with that help you transport large amounts of stuff to the site?

We generally pack pretty minimally, but we're taking one 4-man and 2-man tent, with 2 blow-up mattresses (princesses, I know) and then the other necessities. Is it only gonna be us and our things allowed on the shuttle, or does anyone have some solid loopholes for that leg of the journey?

I’d say it’s not really worth it if there’s three of you to split the parking fee. 

It will allow you the possibility to do multiple trips, with trolleys and you have somewhere to keep stuff not in use if you wish to. 

30 minutes ago, stuie said:

I’d say it’s not really worth it if there’s three of you to split the parking fee. 

It will allow you the possibility to do multiple trips, with trolleys and you have somewhere to keep stuff not in use if you wish to. 

Ah yeah, with the parking fee it's totally fine. More just trying to avoid the expense of the car and petrol, as our one last year was around £200 and that was between 4 of us. Will keep having a think. Cheers for the reply!

Bit of a faff but you could do it over a couple of trips

2 of you go on bus with max you can/want to carry 1 stays behind with remainder

1st 2 set up camp and 1 returns to collect remainder of stuff and the other person

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, woyski said:

Ah yeah, with the parking fee it's totally fine. More just trying to avoid the expense of the car and petrol, as our one last year was around £200 and that was between 4 of us. Will keep having a think. Cheers for the reply!

£200 on petrol seems awfully high? Don't you also need to take fuel costs of person giving you a lift into consideration....potentially a double journey for them 🤔

On 1/20/2020 at 12:22 PM, Lycra said:

£200 on petrol seems awfully high? Don't you also need to take fuel costs of person giving you a lift into consideration....potentially a double journey for them 🤔

Ah, think I explained myself poorly! £200 between us for the hire of the car for the week from London, plus petrol on top. As for the person giving us a lift, it's a very kind parent demanding it - of course we'll be paying them petrol though. 

13 hours ago, woyski said:

Ah, think I explained myself poorly! £200 between us for the hire of the car for the week from London, plus petrol on top. As for the person giving us a lift, it's a very kind parent demanding it - of course we'll be paying them petrol though. 

You may find 3 passengers + driver will limit luggage space. We take a large estate car and find it's only just big enough for the 3 of us and we have to fold one back seat down to get the trolley in.

3 hours ago, Lycra said:

You may find 3 passengers + driver will limit luggage space. We take a large estate car and find it's only just big enough for the 3 of us and we have to fold one back seat down to get the trolley in

Looking back, I have no idea how my friends once fit 4 people and their stuff in an old fiesta and made it to Glastonbury from Southport without the suspension shitting the bed.

As for tips regarding getting around the trolley ban, apart from the method @dondo suggested, I can't think of much else.  

I'm in a similar position this year as we're coming in by coach so having to pack v. light (and hoping some of our friends manage to get lucky in the resale so they can take our booze down in their car!) but the queues shouldn't be too bad so hopefully will get in easily enough.

Once in if any of our group are struggling, we'll probably leave them with our rucksacks while the others go off with the tents to find somewhere to camp.  It's so much easier without lugging around all of your stuff!

• Like 1