Mutoid Waste Company - Glastonbury

Yoghurt on a Stick

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I kind of went off on a tangent while looking at a photo, and ended up discovering this site (see link below). Plenty of Glastonbury stuff to look at.

http://joerush.com/

Super interesting. Cant believe I've never come across this. I shall share some info with you soon, when I've finished my browsing. Have you seen the documentaries about them? Cruising london in skull bus. With Hugh Laurey interviews. Most amusing 😁

24 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

Super interesting. Cant believe I've never come across this. I shall share some info with you soon, when I've finished my browsing. Have you seen the documentaries about them? Cruising london in skull bus. With Hugh Laurey interviews. Most amusing 😁

I haven't seen any documentaries about them. It was a pure fluke that I came across that site. Essentially I saw a photo of one of his pieces of work, which had the words Joe Rush written on a shipping container underneath. Now I happen to know a Joe Rush, and he has an awful lot of industrial plant, although no shipping containers to my knowledge. Anyway, although I could 99.9% rule him out as the person who supplied the shipping container, that 0.01% got the better of me and I did a search of the photograph using Google, and it came up with the site that initiated this thread. So, I could rule out the bloke I knew, and could post the site here so that others could see it. 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

haven't seen any documentaries about them

When you have the time, get on you tube and watch Mutoid Documentary I. and part II. Poorly filmed but does give you a taste of the beginnings and where they were heading. And if I could request that you then watch "Hippy Attempts Alchemy" (will PM you). 😂🤣😂

Edited by mashedonmud

17 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I haven't seen any documentaries about them. It was a pure fluke that I came across that site. Essentially I saw a photo of one of his pieces of work, which had the words Joe Rush written on a shipping container underneath. Now I happen to know a Joe Rush, and he has an awful lot of industrial plant, although no shipping containers to my knowledge. Anyway, although I could 99.9% rule him out as the person who supplied the shipping container, that 0.01% got the better of me and I did a search of the photograph using Google, and it came up with the site that initiated this thread. So, I could rule out the bloke I knew, and could post the site here so that others could see it. 

I have a ton of negatives from 1984 showing the Mutoid Waste Company as it was so Mad Max { came out in 1979 } - it was not just a static exhibition as they also drove some of their work though the site 

1984 was the first year they had specific car parking areas with stewards employed to direct the traffic - think it was imposed by Mendip District Council as they had been upset over Glastonbury 1983

but we just parked as normal beside our tent and no one pulled us up { red dot } which was close to the very heavy Reggae Tent that claimed to be a cafe - if you were not stoned when you walked in ' you would be bloody stoned by the time you walked out as they were all puffing away ' - no smoking ban then 

think I saw Joan Baez Friday 22 June 1984 

Not sure which year the main photo is - for sure in the 80's { note there is no big interstage area }

well worth the £13 for a weekend ticket.

Glastonbury-84-site-map.thumb.jpg.6fdbec39ae68dc893e386fcb379e70d9.jpgwork55er5.thumb.jpg.8074b02034edc40b22505cef9eb686d3.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I have a ton of negatives from 1984 showing the Mutoid Waste Company as it was so Mad Max { came out in 1979 } - it was not just a static exhibition as they also drove some of their work though the site 

1984 was the first year they had specific car parking areas with stewards employed to direct the traffic - think it was imposed by Mendip District Council as they had been upset over Glastonbury 1983

but we just parked as normal beside our tent and no one pulled us up { red dot } which was close to the very heavy Reggae Tent that claimed to be a cafe - if you were not stoned when you walked in ' you would be bloody stoned by the time you walked out as they were all puffing away ' - no smoking ban then 

think I saw Joan Baez Friday 22 June 1984 

Not sure which year the main photo is - for sure in the 80's { note there is no big interstage area }

well worth the £13 for a weekend ticket.

Glastonbury-84-site-map.thumb.jpg.6fdbec39ae68dc893e386fcb379e70d9.jpgwork55er5.thumb.jpg.8074b02034edc40b22505cef9eb686d3.jpg

Hello glasto-worker,

That was slightly before my time, as I've only ever experienced the festival when it had separate parking. One of my brothers and his mates used to go around that time though, and told me all the tales of the place. While I get that they had it easy just being able to drive on to the site and camp next to their vehicle, you can fully understand why the separate parking was enforced. Imagine some bandit on acid thinking he / she will drive off site to collect more alcohol (or any other reason) and being in charge of a vehicle, when there were people sleeping in tents all around. The festival was just lucky that they got away with that, I'd have thought.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:56 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I kind of went off on a tangent while looking at a photo, and ended up discovering this site (see link below). Plenty of Glastonbury stuff to look at.

I apologise for being off topic. I tried to pm you pic, but my IT is useless. Then I thought others may benefit on a cold day too. So public it has to be as I've mastered screen shots. And you started this going off on a "tangent" so I'm guessing I can too.😁 hope it helps. 

Screenshot_20200119-104824_Google.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

I apologise for being off topic. I tried to pm you pic, but my IT is useless. Then I thought others may benefit on a cold day too. So public it has to be as I've mastered screen shots. And you started this going off on a "tangent" so I'm guessing I can too.😁 hope it helps. 

Screenshot_20200119-104824_Google.jpg

Thanks for that mashedonmud. I'll look it up, as I can't read that writing and my IT skills will not allow me to enlarge it.

PS - Going off on tangents is perfectly OK in my books. I just love it after having had a smoke and your mind has absolutely no option other than to go off on tangents that your normal (unaffected) mind wouldn't do normally. I like writing a lot of these thoughts down. No doubt I'd be sectioned if a responsible adult were to read them, and inform the relevant authorities.

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello glasto-worker,

That was slightly before my time, as I've only ever experienced the festival when it had separate parking. One of my brothers and his mates used to go around that time though, and told me all the tales of the place. While I get that they had it easy just being able to drive on to the site and camp next to their vehicle, you can fully understand why the separate parking was enforced. Imagine some bandit on acid thinking he / she will drive off site to collect more alcohol (or any other reason) and being in charge of a vehicle, when there were people sleeping in tents all around. The festival was just lucky that they got away with that, I'd have thought.

Re ' people leaving midway though a event ' - Highly Unlikely - they may not have had Police inside the festival site # but they were waiting at the exit # once people were parked and tents up - they remained until the end .

+ there was not all that much vehicle movement once the event was under way so it was never a problem - the trick was to park near the exit path # but not right beside it # because if it was muddy ' such as 1985 ' any car next to that path would be covered in mud -

bottom shot was us { 4 adults and all our gear } on our way to Glastonbury 1985 or 1986 - Bud {denim jacket} claimed he was unable to reach South London so we went to Notting Hill Gate to pick him up - for some reason he had two hats hence why I was wearing one - anything to get him in the bloody Mini so we could depart - he even claimed he suffered from car sickness so he could get the front seat - still we made it there and the Mini did not break down ' there or back ' !!!

331_o.thumb.jpg.9109120104814ca29952d3932a41796b.jpg315_o.thumb.jpg.231cc1ad4ded38863ed87dc2c68d97c7.jpg38917_o.thumb.jpg.f344562910ee082463014ff835217487.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:56 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Good find. Thanks for posting!

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Re ' people leaving midway though a event ' - Highly Unlikely - they may not have had Police inside the festival site # but they were waiting at the exit # once people were parked and tents up - they remained until the end .

+ there was not all that much vehicle movement once the event was under way so it was never a problem - the trick was to park near the exit path # but not right beside it # because if it was muddy ' such as 1985 ' any car next to that path would be covered in mud -

bottom shot was us { 4 adults and all our gear } on our way to Glastonbury 1985 or 1986 - Bud {denim jacket} claimed he was unable to reach South London so we went to Notting Hill Gate to pick him up - for some reason he had two hats hence why I was wearing one - anything to get him in the bloody Mini so we could depart - he even claimed he suffered from car sickness so he could get the front seat - still we made it there and the Mini did not break down ' there or back ' !!!

331_o.thumb.jpg.9109120104814ca29952d3932a41796b.jpg315_o.thumb.jpg.231cc1ad4ded38863ed87dc2c68d97c7.jpg38917_o.thumb.jpg.f344562910ee082463014ff835217487.jpg

You got clear parking in London. Now there's a thing of the past, surely.

On 1/20/2020 at 1:25 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You got clear parking in London. Now there's a thing of the past, surely.

yes your right - at least then I just parked where there was space - a few shots of us wandering about early in the morning - Bud had already started his 6th joint of the day - got some good shots of Bud standing beside some of the art of The Mutoid Waste Company but the bloody images are in a box packed away somewhere - they will resurface at some point in the future.

You can see the tents are not packed together - and I know that is the public area as its before I started working at it.I can tell it must have been wet and a bit muddy as I would not have been wearing my riding boots if it was not muddy

9047_o.thumb.jpg.7084bcd35c3d6b5237c0031f8e9ea9e2.jpg44110_o.thumb.jpg.8edba462907b97b7277b809db5829419.jpg

5 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I’m surprise they didn’t get in contact with you when they were making the glasto 50 book @glasto-worker you seem to have so many photos. Or maybe they did?

Although I know Michael Eavis well I doubt if we have ever discussed photography so doubt if he is aware I have a huge collection and I have never met Emily Eavis. 

You have not seen anything yet !!! - problem is that many are stored on 35mm negatives and to convert them all would take take many years - I used to have many printed out as 8"x10" or  8"x12" Photo's and some much larger than that but though moving I lost 30 odd large boxes {24"x24"x24"}  but I know I still have the negatives - its not shots of the bands but the people and strange things that you and I always see at Glastonbury.

Here is two - that is the Pyramid field { left as you look at the stage } - now what that van was doing there I am not sure but I was told they tried to drive though when it was busy and the Crowd attacked them - I did not see it until the morning so don't know the full story - they { whoever they are } then tried to tow them but I think the boggy ground defeated them.

They must have pissed off someone because that night it was set on fire ' but the photos of the burnt out van is within one of the negatives.'

I wonder if they got their deposit back.

Some of my photos has been used by WBC Production.

Some day I will start transferring them but its a major job + just to make it more tricky I also moved again so not even sure where the negative boxes are but some day I will find them again. 

worker63635-3.thumb.jpg.2277b31cea97fcdc3cfdea7db6c81811.jpgworker6363542.thumb.jpg.993b1cf2e5e89e9a593f52b6eee037a4.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2020 at 3:35 AM, glasto-worker said:

yes your right - at least then I just parked where there was space - a few shots of us wandering about early in the morning - Bud had already started his 6th joint of the day - got some good shots of Bud standing beside some of the art of The Mutoid Waste Company but the bloody images are in a box packed away somewhere - they will resurface at some point in the future.

You can see the tents are not packed together - and I know that is the public area as its before I started working at it.I can tell it must have been wet and a bit muddy as I would not have been wearing my riding boots if it was not muddy

9047_o.thumb.jpg.7084bcd35c3d6b5237c0031f8e9ea9e2.jpg44110_o.thumb.jpg.8edba462907b97b7277b809db5829419.jpg

Was Bud his nickname or did he just feel the need to live up to his name?

5 hours ago, OG said:

Was Bud his nickname or did he just feel the need to live up to his name?

I believe his real name was Edward but he hated it so had been using Bud since school days.

5 hours ago, Pinrut said:

Looks like '85

Problem is 1985 and 1987 were both very wet years - I need to find the negative strips to work out which year as I know the camping/parking area { that I had been using since 1979 } was closed in 1986 so I used a different camping/parking area in 1986 and 1987 { after that it was all crew sites } - Once I can trace the camping/parking area I will know for sure.