Council warns Glastonbury it may limit amount of alcohol revellers can take into site to cut 'nuisance' in local area

Yoghurt on a Stick

2 hours ago, incident said:

Boomtown has pretty much the same structure you're talking about (on a much smaller scale of course), and still manages to be just about the most restrictive festival in terms of bringing in your own alcohol.

last time I went they counted every can before I got past security!

I struggle to see why the amount of alcohol you have in the site is any issue at all???

People often take too much anyway and you can only drink so much before you pass out. If someone is being a gobshite while drunk they will be a gobshite whether they took 3 crates of lager or 4... 

Is it just busy bodies with their knickers in a twist?? 

Just now, Havors said:

I struggle to see why the amount of alcohol you have in the site is any issue at all???

The council have a duty to crack down on underage drinking.

If the council don't have control of the alcohol supply via the licenced bars they are (from their point of view) doing nothing to act against underage drinking.

(setting a limit doesn't stop underage drinking of course, but it does [in theory] limit how much a person can drink)

What you feel about that argument doesn't count for much. Lots of councils all round the country have successfully made that argument within licence hearings despite that festivals objections.

Glastonbury have historically been in a strong position to fight bad licencing decisions, but I'm pretty sure that sooner or later the council will introduce restrictions.

Doesn't worry me, I enjoy the bars in the festival so I take little.

But what's this advice supposed to achieve? It doesn't stop people over-consuming on site (More expensively of course), as it's mainly cans people bring in it's both recyclable and minimal environmental impact, it also could encourage/force people to bring in less volume by substituting beer for spirits which doesn't help either.

And, as previously mentioned, a nightmare to control. Expect lengthier entry queues.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The council have a duty to crack down on underage drinking.

If the council don't have control of the alcohol supply via the licenced bars they are (from their point of view) doing nothing to act against underage drinking.

(setting a limit doesn't stop underage drinking of course, but it does [in theory] limit how much a person can drink)

What you feel about that argument doesn't count for much. Lots of councils all round the country have successfully made that argument within licence hearings despite that festivals objections.

Glastonbury have historically been in a strong position to fight bad licencing decisions, but I'm pretty sure that sooner or later the council will introduce restrictions.

Ah yes, I didn't think of that issue. That answers why they would do it.... does not make it a credible method of control though. 

As long as the limit is not stupid and takes into account 5 days supply then it should not really cause much problem. As it stands we usually take 50 ish cans per person for 5 days.. think thats reasonable. 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Ah yes, I didn't think of that issue. That answers why they would do it.... does not make it a credible method of control though. 

As long as the limit is not stupid and takes into account 5 days supply then it should not really cause much problem. As it stands we usually take 50 ish cans per person for 5 days.. think thats reasonable. 

Boomtown's limit for 4 days is 16 Cans / a box of wine.

Don't get too trashed on your 4 cans a day! :-)

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Boomtown's limit for 4 days is 16 Cans / a box of wine.

Don't get too trashed on your 4 cans a day! 🙂

There is absolutely 100% no other reason for that other than maximising their bar revenue. Disgusting behavior.

Edited by Havors

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

There is absolutely 100% no other reason for that other than maximising their bar revenue. Disgusting behavior.

That's why ive always brought K Cider.. disgusting.. but 9% proof. Still end up spending a fortune at the bars there though, hence why I rate Glastonbury's policy so much!

6 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Boomtown last year. Many bars selling not chilled 44oml can of Red Stripe for £5.00

5 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

That's why ive always brought K Cider.. disgusting.. but 9% proof. Still end up spending a fortune at the bars there though, hence why I rate Glastonbury's policy so much!

Exactly. 

Is it wrong that I would prefer under 18's were banned from attending the festival rather than limiting the alcohol people can take for their own consumption?! I jest, but surely it would be more sensible to enforce the underage drinking law through the employment of more stewards, empowered to undertake spot checks at the gate and throughout the festival, ejecting anybody clearly breaking the law, rather than impinging on the freedoms of us law abiding drinkers!  

Seems like its another effort to control the masses via a spurious attempt to deal with a minority issue.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Havors said:

I don't know what the situation is with Boomtown, but I do know of another (now ex) festival that had gate restrictions imposed on it despite its objections, and which was absolutely nothing to do with the festival trying to increase bar revenues.

Until that point, like you I thought it was always about the festival wanting to increase bar revenues - but it's obviously not always that.

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yep...

The year of the long queues to get in, no one had any booze left by the time we were through the gate :-)

ill usually do £200 minimum on the bar over boomtown weekend - depressing but I need to maintain a constant level of inebriated throughout the weekend and it is what it is - conversely probably bought 4 cold pints a day at glasto and a few mixers with ice for spirits.

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't know what the situation is with Boomtown, but I do know of another (now ex) festival that had gate restrictions imposed on it despite its objections, and which was absolutely nothing to do with the festival trying to increase bar revenues.

Until that point, like you I thought it was always about the festival wanting to increase bar revenues - but it's obviously not always that.

Secret Garden Party? I heard that was part of it's downfall

The Boomtown restriction is only a problem if you want to bring in crates and crates of cans. Last year I took 2 bags of wine (which is over the limit by itself), 6 cans and a litre of vodka (which isn’t allowed full stop). Wasn’t even checked on the way in. In previous years I have been checked, with roughly the same amount on me, and didn’t have anything confiscated.

So I think at Glastonbury it would be roughly the same - very loose enforcement if it was ever brought in, with it essentially only making a difference to people with crates on trailers. And therefore probably just result in people bringing in stronger alcohol with less volume, and potentially making the almost non-existent problems they’re trying to stop worse. But that would probably be trumped by the need to be seen to be ‘doing something’ 😏.

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

IOW had a restriction last time I went... but its not strictly enforced, they just monitored people for ridiculous amounts. I believe the festivals that are not looking to profit persay (although im sure they are aware of the benefit) they just prevent people taking the piss i.e. 4 x 24 crates per person etc .... 

Boomtown... allowing the equivalent of 4 cans per day is definitely profiteering.