Queue Times

Jack.194

i LOVE a good queueing thread...

Never really had to do it myself as 10 years in the CV fields but there is nothing sweeter at 7am on the wednesday morning, than making myself a cup of coffee and watching the masses come pouring in at the top of the Hill of Death... all of life is there... and it tells you everything about them. (the well equipped, the ill equipped, the newbies, the veterans, the young loves, those already considering divorce, the peak too earlies, the keep the powder dries, the wide eyed and the seen it all before..)

If i had to queue, i would want to do it with @Jack.194 you crack me up fella... i would even let you play your guitar and sing Wonderwall..

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

i LOVE a good queueing thread...

Never really had to do it myself as 10 years in the CV fields but there is nothing sweeter at 7am on the wednesday morning, than making myself a cup of coffee and watching the masses come pouring in at the top of the Hill of Death... all of life is there... and it tells you everything about them. (the well equipped, the ill equipped, the newbies, the veterans, the young loves, those already considering divorce, the peak too earlies, the keep the powder dries, the wide eyed and the seen it all before..)

If i had to queue, i would want to do it with @Jack.194 you crack me up fella... i would even let you play your guitar and sing Wonderwall..

Queue? guitar? Wonderwall?  Oops, I apologise unreservedly for my insensitive post on page one of this thread ! ! 

19 hours ago, Northtim said:

Gate A entry for non-coach was a clusterfuck in 2019.

Arrived just before 8am wanting to head to gate D & were told by stewards we could not join that queue as it was rammed and Gate A would be better.

Gate A queue was huge and hardly moving as those on coach side got priority - we eventually got in about 1pm, and later found out others had been walking straight in at Gate D from 10.30!

We were lucky Gate D walkthroughs last year.

The only advice I can give is to check twitter and here on the day. From memory the Tuesday night queue at Gate D was so big they started sending people to Gate A, including having the electronic sign at the bottom of the hill to Gate D directing people to A. When we arrived at about 9:15, the sign was still directing people to A, but there were already twitter posts from gate D people saying they were through. We had maybe 15 minutes of line shuffling through the last 2 zig zags and we were in.

2 hours ago, Gregfc15 said:

We were lucky Gate D walkthroughs last year.

The only advice I can give is to check twitter and here on the day. From memory the Tuesday night queue at Gate D was so big they started sending people to Gate A, including having the electronic sign at the bottom of the hill to Gate D directing people to A. When we arrived at about 9:15, the sign was still directing people to A, but there were already twitter posts from gate D people saying they were through. We had maybe 15 minutes of line shuffling through the last 2 zig zags and we were in.

We got there about 10/11pm Tuesday night and that sign was up saying go to gate A. We ignored this and went to D anyway, what’s the point in staying overnight in a queue if you’re not at the right gate for the camping spot you want right? My point is, D wasn’t full by any stretch of imagination so ignore the signs of lies

That was our theory as well. We'd made the swap to Gate A in 2017, lined up for hours and still had to walk back up to where we wanted to camp. We figured we'd cop any line delay for the shorter walk.

Pleasant  surprise as we just kept walking and then saw the entry point. Ciders were cracked by 10:30

22 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Just wondering why they need to segregate people here by how they arrive when they all arrive by public transport?

Each bus company has it's own part of the drop off so you get channeled from their drop off through you're own part of the queue. When you get near the front the queues merge together and approach the gate as one queue for all bus arrivals. Those signs telling you which lane is which are pointing towards the festival so that when you are leaving you know which path to walk down to get the right bus you don't arrive as one and then split up.

21 hours ago, jow95 said:

Lots of folk talk about being made to shuffle down through the night but both times I’ve done it we’ve just been sat down for most of the night in once place. I’m still undecided whether it is all really worth it, have flashbacks to my girlfriends soggy face murmuring ‘this is horrible’ in the rain in 2016. There’s obviously pros but I still wonder if it’s worth it

EDIT: the over night queue not the girlfriend

All my overnighters have been dry at least - 2016 was the year the road from London to Glastonbury turned into a car park for some reason and at points we were literally sleeping in traffic. Though we were dry. 

3 minutes ago, UEF said:

All my overnighters have been dry at least - 2016 was the year the road from London to Glastonbury turned into a car park for some reason and at points we were literally sleeping in traffic. Though we were dry. 

We got to the traffic on the a37 at about 9ish and moved a few hundred yards in 5 hours, finally made the call to abandon the queue and head through Shepton to the west car parks and drove straight round and on to the site. The second we got out the car it started raining and just got heavier, would definitely stay in the car all night in hindsight and get in the queue about 5/6 or something like that. None of that business whatsoever last year but it’s still a long slog innit.

6 minutes ago, jow95 said:

We got to the traffic on the a37 at about 9ish and moved a few hundred yards in 5 hours, finally made the call to abandon the queue and head through Shepton to the west car parks and drove straight round and on to the site. The second we got out the car it started raining and just got heavier, would definitely stay in the car all night in hindsight and get in the queue about 5/6 or something like that. None of that business whatsoever last year but it’s still a long slog innit.

It is and there comes a point when you wonder if it's worth the trouble starting what should be a good experience with a bad one. I've started leaving on Sunday night now just to take pressure off the journey in the other direction

41 minutes ago, UEF said:

It is and there comes a point when you wonder if it's worth the trouble starting what should be a good experience with a bad one. I've started leaving on Sunday night now just to take pressure off the journey in the other direction

I’d take driving to every time usually but we are considering getting the coach just to gain back Sunday night. We’ve left at 6am Monday in the past and  losing a Tuesday night in the queue for a Sunday night in shangri la sounds like a good idea right?

Edited by jow95

15 hours ago, jow95 said:

I’d take driving to every time usually but we are considering getting the coach just to gain back Sunday night. We’ve left at 6am Monday in the past and  losing a Tuesday night in the queue for a Sunday night in shangri la sounds like a good idea right?

Hard to say... last year I was back in London in time to watch The Cure live on TV, having been stood in the same field watching Kylie hours earlier. That was surreal

16 hours ago, jow95 said:

Sounds like the best idea!

36 minutes ago, UEF said:

Hard to say... last year I was back in London in time to watch The Cure live on TV, having been stood in the same field watching Kylie hours earlier. That was surreal

Did you have to work on Monday?

I always find it incredibly hard to end the proceedings knowing that it'll be at least a year (if I'm lucky) before I'm back there again.

Last year, I left Genosys at the end of Felix Dickinson at 05:00 Monday (still in gold Kylie pants!) and started my last shift at 06:00!  It was definitely worth it :-)

3 hours ago, Lyons_89 said:

what are the queues like on the Tuesday for the east CV fields? 

I've never had much of a queue when i've travelled in my mates' CV on the tuesday and i've done it a good few times, more of a slow drive through the lanes with vans either side of yours. 2016 was a different story though, due to the mud, but I didn't travel down with them that year for some reason I can't remember so didn't experience it.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Havors said:

Zero queues..... staying in Worthy View :) Stroll up about midday on the wednesday 

I'm looking forward to that this year. My mum has a house in Blandford Forum and we're considering driving down on the Tuesday, staying over at hers, having a bit of a lie in  and then driving 30 mins or so drive to WV.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I'm looking forward to that this year. My mum has a house in Blandford Forum and we're considering driving down on the Tuesday, staying over at hers, having a bit of a lie in  and then driving 30 mins or so drive to WV.

Well worth it. The car park being so close and no queues is almost worth the money alone to be honest haha

47 minutes ago, Havors said:

Zero queues..... staying in Worthy View :) Stroll up about midday on the wednesday 

Did you stay at WV in 2016?

I don't think anyone escaped multiple hours of queuing in the car or on the coach that year.

35 minutes ago, stuie said:

Did you stay at WV in 2016?

I don't think anyone escaped multiple hours of queuing in the car or on the coach that year.

No issues really. 

The trick to 2016 was avoiding the congested main routes in.

Edited by Havors

Crikey - checked Whatsapp - relived the mayhem that was a shit-ton of pissed messages... "We're going to drop shit off and pick shit up via tent on the way to whiney fucker"  - methinks that was Liam G.

Anyway - parked up e9 07:43 Weds am; through gate C at 09:28; tents up in Lower Mead 09:51 (could choose any spot we wanted, so went for the exact same place as last time).

Monday - got to car at 10:15, on main roads and flying along by 10:50.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

What time does Worthy View open and are there no queues at all from the start? Am looking to get there at 9am just wondered how long till we're all set up and ready to get onto the site.