Production Pass

Sam_Sharp22

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

that might be something different to the AAA laminate that the likes of Melvin had.

Because they're different things, I suspect the laminate gets places that the wristband can't.

A friend got her hands on a production wristband last year (from someone who left on the Saturday) and was told it could only get you access with the accompanying photo ID/laminate.  While I get the intrigue - the whole festival is designed for people in front of the stages. I know where I would rather be.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

uh? :unsure: 

The campsite that used to be called Woodsies is now a big hospitality campsite, between PGA and John Peel.   I thought that Doug was referring to this one maybe?

9 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

My very first festival was the first Phoenix Festival in 1993. I won tickets from a Mark Radcliffe show on the old Radio 5!

Cypress Hill played a ridiculously small tent at a ridiculously early time and I also bought a Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy t-shirt.

Mine was Phoenix '94. I sold a load of stuff to mates to raise the £40 (I think) for the ticket so I could see the final Wonder Stuff gig before they broke up. Pretty much all of my favourite bands played, plus a load of bands I wasn't into at the time but I become a fan of. I was 16, my mate drove us up after school on the friday (we arrived just as the stuffies started) and we left early on the monday morning and I went straight to school that day!

Image result for phoenix 1994 poster

Edited by Johnnyseven

Definitely the best place to see stars are on stages.

Backstage areas are boring, working environments which are typically full of knackered problem solvers eating meals whilst solving problems. 

The few exceptions to this are some of the crew bars which are typically full of knackered problem solvers drinking drinks whilst solving problems. 

totally agree, I've had various passes for Glastonbury over the last 30 years and apart from the camping pitch locations there's absolutely nothing else remotely glamorous about it at all. Even behind the Pyramid it's just rows and rows of fenced off massive Winnebago's and a couple of big marquees.

Edited by Cooter

5 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Definitely the best place to see stars are on stages.

Backstage areas are boring, working environments which are typically full of knackered problem solvers eating meals whilst solving problems. 

The few exceptions to this are some of the crew bars which are typically full of knackered problem solvers drinking drinks whilst solving problems. 

I love this description! So true! Everyone is at a level of knackeredness! Its good fun trying to find all the crew areas and having a banter trying to blag your way into different areas!! 

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon you're less likely to see anyone famous in the hospitality campsite than in the hospitality-hospitality area.

Yeah I meant the hospitality campsite. Also the Pyramid backstage area (white tent). The interstage area is usually rather empty. I had to do an errand in that campsite and seen a few random "famous" faces. However most of my spots have been at stages or bars 

20 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Mine was Phoenix '94. I sold a load of stuff to mates to raise the £40 (I think) for the ticket so I could see the final Wonder Stuff gig before they broke up. Pretty much all of my favourite bands played, plus a load of bands I wasn't into at the time but I become a fan of. I was 16, my mate drove us up after school on the friday (we arrived just as the stuffies started) and we left early on the monday morning and I went straight to school that day!

Image result for phoenix 1994 poster

Fantastic festival, 94 was a great year as well.  I'm 15 miles up the road and basically all my mates went and it felt like half the town was there.  Everywhere I went I bumped into people I knew, Carter, PWEI and Inspirals were the gigs of the weekend for me.  It was also the starstruck moment in my life where John Peel rocked up, sat down next to me and started eating daintily cut cheese and cucumber sandwiches.  I was too nervous to speak to him.  I realise this is not a great anecdote.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:50 AM, jparx said:

I imagine Emily and Michael do wear them. Michael mentions in the book about being stopped by a security guard who didn't recognise him, so I bet they do if just to make it easier getting through the major checkpoints.

A friend of mine volunteered for Oxfam a few years and I think in 2010 was checking passes at some gate and was told to go ahead and check the Eavii even if they recognised them. She said she did and it went down well and I had no reason not to believe her.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:13 PM, March Hare said:

Having been the gate Michael uses I can confirm he has a pass and was checked/scanned in and out like everyone else. He was friendly and happy for it to happen. This is him driving away afterwards.

Genuinely a lovely friendly man.

Even less reason to believe her now @March Hare has had a similar experience.

On 1/14/2020 at 3:02 PM, Jack The Stripper said:

Could this be what also killed off Global Gathering who also used Long Marsten?

I cant say - all I know is Vince was shocked when they found out the Councils requirements for the Phoenix as they just made it impossible for him to continue - there was plans for a further 6 or 7 events and I had thought the contract had been agreed but then the Council bombshell blew up
and Vince just could see no way to continue with it.

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I cant say - all I know is Vince was shocked when they found out the Councils requirements for the Phoenix as they just made it impossible for him to continue - there was plans for a further 6 or 7 events and I had thought the contract had been agreed but then the Council bombshell blew up
and Vince just could see no way to continue with it.

Incidentally Vince Power is a very cool name.

We was working last year , had an epo band and about 7 other bands for different areas, as our crew was required to work behind a lot of the stages , we got backstage at a lot of the stages , where the vip bars are and  food tents for the bands are besides seeing the odd celebrity who was playing that day  , they are pretty boring places , best thing about it was the crew bars , but it was good to get into places that I have never been before ,  and the short cuts where great to get to places without the hassle of getting thru the crowds 

On 1/14/2020 at 5:08 PM, ian the worm said:

Exception - Tuesday night, where everyone pretends they're not knackered and are in fact quite looking forward to the show whilst secretly wishing they were in bed.