Production Pass

Sam_Sharp22

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

cant really imagine any issues with passes if Emily didnt carry them ... a quick radio call or google search would clear up any issues almost immediately ... and security dont seem to work alone ..... A quick look on google and I can see Emily with lanyards and the mini guide  but cant see the passes .. but in other photos she has nothing around her neck 

Yeah, but it all takes time to prove who you are. During the event nobody has time for this - why not just wear the pass to make your life easier. 

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Imagine being that security guard :) 

Most likely, they'll have been complemented on a job well done.

Michael is known to like it when he gets stopped and asked for ID, as it shows people are doing the jobs he's paying a lot of money for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incident said:

Michael is known to like it when he gets stopped and asked for ID, as it shows people are doing the jobs he's paying a lot of money for.

fair point ... aswell as a bit of a ribbing from his mates I would imagine :) 

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

The only AAA pass I've ever seen was round the neck of Melvin Benn when he was the licencee. I'm sure I read somewhere once that there's only of them 5 issued.

The next-best pass I've seen is a BAA pass - Backstage All Areas.  This was round the neck of the very-big-boss who used to run Jazzworld (now West Holts).

Most production passes are limited to just one stage area, as almost all production staff are working for one specific area.

That is true but this guy had to float about all the main tents so it made sense. 

There is in fact two full versions - a AAA wristband and a AAA laminate pass - I believe Michael Eavis has a AAA laminate pass but he tucks it in his shirt.

But just to confuse things further ' In fact there was two versions of the AAA pass in 2014 - one was area and time specific { which did sound strange but there is threads on it somewhere - I know it excluded the Pyramid backstage compound and guest camping } 

but this one in the image { the guy in the blue shirt } was a full AAA pass and going by the time/date stamp it was 21.30 - 24/6/2014 and I Know it was the Tuesday onsite and we met up at the Bread and Roses.

sorry its not very clear but will try and get him to post a clear image of it. 

I have many production passes before { many years ago } when they were laminate passes - but one year it should have had ' on stage ' struck off but there was screw up and ended up with the full works.

They are not like a normal back stage pass { or guest pass } - in theory they can get anywhere although I doubt if they work in certain crew areas who have their own Security and will be expecting a Photo ID Pass.

Vince Power C.B.E.{ founder of the Mean Fiddler and used to be Melvin's boss } used to tell a story and I do believe this - at Live Aid Saturday 13 July 1985 Harvey Goldsmith { who as you know Organised it with  Bob Geldof } was trying to get back stage at Wembley and he left his pass at home but a security guard pulled him up and Harvey Goldsmith went ballistic and the poor security guard got fired - now Vince used to claim he got Harvey Goldsmith to rehire him .

Now that I am semi retired I don't work in the main areas any longer but will use a production buggy just to get in to the interstage area.  

passs-2014.jpg

The problem with accessing the actual stage is that most of them are laid out with a single access point from the ramp so you're going to be hanging round where people are trying to get equipment up and down.  A (usually stressed) stage manager will probably notice you if you don't have a reason to be there.  Some stages have areas off the ramp where you can watch, but it's still going to be a bit like gate-crashing a wedding: after a while someone is bound to wonder who you are.  Just hanging round the back-stage area would be a bit dull, as it's just weary, sober people getting on with their mundane logistics tasks, with the artists tucked away in their dressing rooms.

The only really good perk of a production pass would be if it got you into the inter-stage area between Pyramid and Other - that's both a useful short-cut and a place of sanctuary from crowd-crushes around the Pyramid.  Other than that, the best behind-the-scenes stuff is access to the various crew bars/areas and artists bars, and these are either open to all crew or require an area-specific wristband/laminate.

Having been the gate Michael uses I can confirm he has a pass and was checked/scanned in and out like everyone else. He was friendly and happy for it to happen. This is him driving away afterwards.

Genuinely a lovely friendly man.

A316343F-EA29-4635-92F2-ED7B3E8BE8EE.jpeg

Edited by March Hare
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, incident said:

Absolutely right

Edited by March Hare

15 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

That is true but this guy had to float about all the main tents so it made sense. 

There is in fact two full versions - a AAA wristband and a AAA laminate pass - I believe Michael Eavis has a AAA laminate pass but he tucks it in his shirt.

But just to confuse things further ' In fact there was two versions of the AAA pass in 2014 - one was area and time specific { which did sound strange but there is threads on it somewhere - I know it excluded the Pyramid backstage compound and guest camping } 

but this one in the image { the guy in the blue shirt } was a full AAA pass and going by the time/date stamp it was 21.30 - 24/6/2014 and I Know it was the Tuesday onsite and we met up at the Bread and Roses.

sorry its not very clear but will try and get him to post a clear image of it. 

I have many production passes before { many years ago } when they were laminate passes - but one year it should have had ' on stage ' struck off but there was screw up and ended up with the full works.

They are not like a normal back stage pass { or guest pass } - in theory they can get anywhere although I doubt if they work in certain crew areas who have their own Security and will be expecting a Photo ID Pass.

Vince Power C.B.E.{ founder of the Mean Fiddler and used to be Melvin's boss } used to tell a story and I do believe this - at Live Aid Saturday 13 July 1985 Harvey Goldsmith { who as you know Organised it with  Bob Geldof } was trying to get back stage at Wembley and he left his pass at home but a security guard pulled him up and Harvey Goldsmith went ballistic and the poor security guard got fired - now Vince used to claim he got Harvey Goldsmith to rehire him .

Now that I am semi retired I don't work in the main areas any longer but will use a production buggy just to get in to the interstage area.  

passs-2014.jpg

I do enjoy your detailed posts and stories, Sir. 

23 hours ago, eFestivals said:

The only AAA pass I've ever seen was round the neck of Melvin Benn when he was the licencee. I'm sure I read somewhere once that there's only of them 5 issued.

The next-best pass I've seen is a BAA pass - Backstage All Areas.  This was round the neck of the very-big-boss who used to run Jazzworld (now West Holts).

Most production passes are limited to just one stage area, as almost all production staff are working for one specific area.

Gotta be more than 5. Bloke I camp with has an AAA pass and his boss. We all gather round in in awe when he gets it, It is very shiny and has holograms, a thing of wonder. Has his photo on it as well

He gets one as he is an engineer who has to sign off the structures and stages at the festival for safety reasons and has powers to close down areas, has to keep popping down on the build up to the festival. Obviously needs it to be able to get wherever when needed while the festival is on.

We do gather round the fire as he regales tales about his travels. (not true). He says the cut through at the back of the Pyramid is a good bonus and occasionally he will watch a band on the Pyramid from the side of the stage.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:59 AM, crazyfool1 said:

I once worked in a hotel, was on reception at the time and when a lady presented herself at the desk asking to speak to the manager, i asked for her name. She was Lady Hotel Owners Name, wife of Sir Hotel Owner and was quite miffed i didn't know her. Thing is, if its just a job, then you have no reason to know who these people are.  

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:50 AM, jparx said:

I imagine Emily and Michael do wear them. Michael mentions in the book about being stopped by a security guard who didn't recognise him, so I bet they do if just to make it easier getting through the major checkpoints.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:59 AM, crazyfool1 said:

Imagine being a security guard who lets in any old boy driving an old red 4 x 4 because you didn't quite know what Big E looked like!

I think Michael and Emily have lanyards they can use if they need to.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:51 AM, eFestivals said:

I imagine they have passes, but they might not have them on display as most of the staff do. Their faces are probably enough most of the time.

Googling plastic surgery in Turkey to Look Like  a certain balding somerset man with beard

On 1/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, Sam_Sharp22 said:

Hey Guys, really random question sorry, where can you go with a production pass? will it get you on the main stages etc? Thanks in advance!!

As of last year there was one site-wide production band, which functions similarly to a Hospitality Pass. So you can access the interstage paths and area as well as the hospitality area back there. You can access the backstage areas at the smaller areas. You're not going to get on any stage with just a production pass. There is an override band for the Pyramid and Other stages that you need in addition to whatever festival access band you have. These passes are day specific and for either headliners or pre-headliner only. And even those bands don't necessarily get you access to the side stage areas. 

There is a PRODUCTION BAA laminate, with your photo on it, that is different. 

18 hours ago, eFestivals said:

you don't need an AAA pass to get about the main tents, unless you're accessing the stage area in those tents.

I don't have the full story as I did not see him working but someone arranged for him to have a AAA wrist band so they must have thought it was necessary - His crew camp was near ours next to Park farm but we only were able to get out for a drink on the Tuesday - I am sure at some point he will spot this and will be able to fill in what he was doing.

18 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I do enjoy your detailed posts and stories, Sir. 

Thanks - I try my best.

I worked at The Phoenix Festival between 1993 and 1997 - it was a event set up by Vince Power -  the Mean Fiddler Music Group { Long Marston Airfield near Stratford-upon-Avon } but somehow the Mean Fiddler Production was short of a office manager and somehow Vince got the WBC to lend me out and I was allocated the VIP and Press List .

I was in the office when some security head did the briefing to a mob of security staff and he had a wall with over 80 crew and production passes and they only had a few minuets to take in all the passes - unless they had a Photographic memory there is no way they could take in all the passes.

I was able to upset some VIP's who failed to bring their invite with them but Mean Fiddler Production asked me back the year later so they could not have been as important ' as they thought '

Shame the Council imposed so many restrictions that it made the event not viable any longer.

88351_o.thumb.jpg.d119fdcfe71fed3e27b3453ac8d721bb.jpg

• Like 1