Neil Peart

JSmurphy

huge loss on the rock star front for me. They were probably my #1 band that I listened to as a fan from 86 through to late 90's with regularity. All 3 of them great musicians but Neil standing out on the drums and being the visionary behind the band with his writing. 2112 was a longstanding 'best' for me, the 'Ok Computer' before 97....I met my now wife in '97 and while I always still liked Rush, she was a huge music fan herself and yet Rush just never clicked with her. It was Geddy's voice and she wondered what on earth they were singing about too. I understood completely, not everyone 'got it' and it was a very male audience, and in North American terms, it was a very suburban audience too (although I was not a suburbanite). 

My only Glastobury-related memory was seeing the Avett Brothers at Avalon in 2010, and I was sort of at edge of the tent watching and noticed a fella with a Hold Your Fire red t-shirt from the 88 tour (I saw the first of the Wembley Arena gigs in April that year, it was my first of only 5 Rush gigs, they actually recorded the Birmingham NEC gig that tour for video release), and it was a shirt that I had had for a while but must have discarded it around turn of century or so...but it was a pleasant and memorable site at Glastonbury and I'll always remember it. 

Neil Peart, man...what a legend and such a unique character. and only 67. 

we still have Glenn Kotche for the drumming... 

• Like 1

Incredibly sad news.

As a teenager, prog was the first genre that really grabbed me. TOOL, Coheed and Cambria and Rush were my favourite bands as a spotty 13 year old. Before being turned on to those bands, music was barely a part of my life. My father was an enormous music fan, mainly straightforward classic rock, and in many ways that intense pressure to be as passionate as him turned me away from it. Those three bands engaged me in music like never before and they expanded my musical horizons enormously as a fan and a player. I never ranked Rush above TOOL or Coheed in my own fandom, however I always recognised without them the rest would not exist. For that reason they've always been one of the most important bands in the world to me.

I was lucky enough to see Rush in Sheffield in 2007 and it was amazing to see Neil Peart do his stuff live. An astonishing musician and one of those few figures in my own musical fandom without whom I'd almost certainly not be posting on these boards. 

Edited by jparx
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gutted here. Went back to bed when I heard the news. Haven't felt so crushed since Bowie passed.

Lost count the amount of times I saw them live. First time was on the Signals tour and I only missed one London gig since then (I was a skint student). We'd book a hotel and do both London nights when they played Wembley.

They put on some of the best live shows ever produced. Really made an effort.

My favourite band ever (except when I listen to Pink Floyd).

"And suddenly you were gone, from all the lives you left your mark upon".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As a teenager I grew up in America but spent several summers in the late 70's in Toronto living with my Grandmother, Rush was a big part of my early musical education.  I first saw them at the CNE in Toronto in 1977.  They were touring on A Farewell to Kings and also played the entire 2112 album.  It was right as they were breaking out as large scale headliners and were playing to their home crowd.  They crushed the set and I was hooked for life.  I saw them several time after that and always loved their shows.  The biggest thing about Rush is how well they played as a group.  For a 3 piece, they were amazing, both for their technical chops and their ability to play with/off of each other.  Peart was a big part of that and a true virtuoso drummer.  I was sincerely hoping to catch them one more time on a reunion tour but that will never happen now.  RIP Neal..and thanks!

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Gutted here. Went back to bed when I heard the news. Haven't felt so crushed since Bowie passed.

Lost count the amount of times I saw them live. First time was on the Signals tour and I only missed one London gig since then (I was a skint student). We'd book a hotel and do both London nights when they played Wembley.

They put on some of the best live shows ever produced. Really made an effort.

My favourite band ever (except when I listen to Pink Floyd).

"And suddenly you were gone, from all the lives you left your mark upon".

From "grace under pressure", their masterpiece IMHO though I know not all Rush fans rate it that high. Really sad to see Neil go so young RIP.

23 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

From "grace under pressure", their masterpiece IMHO though I know not all Rush fans rate it that high. Really sad to see Neil go so young RIP.

I love eighties Rush. It's when I discovered them.

I've just been reminded that that Signals gig I mentioned was my first ever gig. Left school early with a dentist appointment note from my mum for it.

I first saw them at Stafford Bingley Hall on the Moving Pictures tour in 1981. I bunked off school to attend, and was beyond excited to see them in the flesh. Last time was 2011 when they performed Moving Pictures in full. Neil Peart was a rarity in that I actually looked forward to the drum solo.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:13 PM, gizmoman said:

I'm going to have to bump this thread again. Apologies to the Glasto crowd, 'cause none of the band have ever played there (afaik).

I forced myself to listen to Tom Sawyer last night. I knew it would be difficult given the news, but it had to be done. Just for those drum rolls. Ended up listening to the whole album (inevitably, doh).

Tonight was p/G. You may be correct with "masterpiece". What a great album. In so many ways. (Don't start me off about how all of the guitar solos are mostly all rhythm and chord based rather than just individual notes. It's Alex's  album,,,? No.They all shine!).They really slowed down Between The Wheels when they played it live and upped the light show. One of my favourite live memories.

What I always loved about Rush was their progressiveness (sic?), They just absorbed what was going on musically and kept up.

g/P is (for me) their, "We like The Police. They're a three piece. We're a three piece. They're popular. We want to be popular. We can do white rock reggae way better then they can", album. Possibly?

Power Windows tomorrow then.

And, that Afterimage was one shite eighties video. Not what Rush were about at all. Live is what they were about. I recommend Rush in Rio.

Exit The Warrior indeed.

really sad news - though after being diagnosed three years ago he made a good battle of it

Memory banks unloading
Bytes breaking to bits
Unit One's in trouble and it's scared out of its wits
Guidance systems break down
A struggle to exist
To resist
A pulse of dying power in a clenching plastic fist

1 0 0 1 0 0 1

1 0 0 1 0 0 1

Edited by 5co77ie

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I'm going to have to bump this thread again. Apologies to the Glasto crowd, 'cause none of the band have ever played there (afaik).

I forced myself to listen to Tom Sawyer last night. I knew it would be difficult given the news, but it had to be done. Just for those drum rolls. Ended up listening to the whole album (inevitably, doh).

Tonight was p/G. You may be correct with "masterpiece". What a great album. In so many ways. (Don't start me off about how all of the guitar solos are mostly all rhythm and chord based rather than just individual notes. It's Alex's  album,,,? No.They all shine!).They really slowed down Between The Wheels when they played it live and upped the light show. One of my favourite live memories.

What I always loved about Rush was their progressiveness (sic?), They just absorbed what was going on musically and kept up.

g/P is (for me) their, "We like The Police. They're a three piece. We're a three piece. They're popular. We want to be popular. We can do white rock reggae way better then they can", album. Possibly?

And, that Afterimage was one shite eighties video. Not what Rush were about at all. Live is what they were about. I recommend Rush in Rio.

Exit The Warrior indeed.

Yes, I am working through my Rush vinyl collection in tribute to Mr Peart. Last night was Farewell to Kings. Hemispheres up next... Obviously very sad news, and nobody needs me to tell them how good he and the band were. But the body of work he leaves behind is substantial, and I'm sure Rush will continue to win new fans for many years to come. Just think, out there is some disaffected young kid who's not heard them yet and for whom Subdivisions will become a personal anthem...

Quite regretful that I didn't get to see them live. I only got into them properly about 10 years ago. Had they played festivals I'm sure I would have caught them earlier but by the time I was keen enough to go to a gig, their touring days were just about done, and other circumstances conspired against me. I was offered a free ticket to their O2 show in 2013, but turned it down as I had plans on that date (Steve Earle in Bristol). It was the last time they ever toured the UK...

Surely it should be P/g though.  g/P would be Grace over Pressure...?

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Exit The Warrior indeed.

100% I can hear the police influence throughout, but it's not just the musical change, the lyrics on this one are so dark, nuclear war and nazi death camps may not be popular themes but the songs are so deep especially given the bands family histories. (for those that don't know Geddy's family fled from the nazis in WW2).

33 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Wondering if there is a chance of a tribute somewhere on the farm this year.

I would be surprised if it was anything more than maybe hearing Spirit of Radio played by a soundsystem.

Rush never played the fest and don't have a relationship with them in the way that Lemmy or Bowie did. Despite their history and size, they're still quite a cult band over here.

Was Mark Hollis' passing marked last year in any way?

58 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I would be surprised if it was anything more than maybe hearing Spirit of Radio played by a soundsystem.

Rush never played the fest and don't have a relationship with them in the way that Lemmy or Bowie did. Despite their history and size, they're still quite a cult band over here.

Was Mark Hollis' passing marked last year in any way?

I suspect you are right. I don't think Mark Hollis' passing was marked.

• 1 year later...