Sleeping At Glasto

Bisque

I cant be arsed reading all the thread but has anyone else suggested getting pissed out of your head, having a massive piss before you go to bed and lying down?

I'm fifty and it's worked at festivals since I was 18. 

Baffled at some of the suggestions.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I cant be arsed reading all the thread but has anyone else suggested getting pissed out of your head, having a massive piss before you go to bed and lying down?

For males, there also the handy Super Size Lenor bottle that comes in handy. I suspect that women could adapt this approach with the use of a funnel. That said, my wife can piss straight in to a not so wide mouthed bottle, without spilling a drop.

Oh, and you'll never forget the first time that you bring a pillow to Glastonbury. 

33 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

It's about quality of sleep for me.  I can drink myself into a stupor with the best of them, but if I do it for 5 days solid then I'm burnt out by Sunday.  Passing out isn't the same as sleep, and I'm more than happy to admit I need mine :D

6 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

I bought one of those for last year, absolute godsend. More comfy than the self inflating mat I had previously, and (as I come by public transport) much lighter & smaller to carry in. 

Great to hear. Mine weighs like 1.5lbs and im pretty excited to use it! Im in the market for a matching sleeping bag now. I want something that's under 2lbs but will keep me toasty warm (and isnt a damn mummy one) . Im going solo this year so I'm trying to be smart about my gear. 

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

For males, there also the handy Super Size Lenor bottle that comes in handy. I suspect that women could adapt this approach with the use of a funnel. That said, my wife can piss straight in to a not so wide mouthed bottle, without spilling a drop.

Oh, and you'll never forget the first time that you bring a pillow to Glastonbury. 

63FF0B66-8E1E-4FD7-840D-296C56116C3E.thumb.jpeg.5ee82db16de1c25cbc827ec2dfb61ef9.jpeg

5 litre size now available! Should last all night. 

9 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

We've bought these for for this year, yes they heavy and quite bulky but they are comfy as anything.

https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/vango-shangri-la-15-grande-self-inflating-mat/

150 notes!

Blimey. For use in the south east corner judging from the name.

I cant see it helping down there mate. No matter how well cushioned, you ain't sleeping through a 3 am DnB set..

16 hours ago, Bisque said:

I thought I was being silly posting this thread but 5 pages later I have received some great info.

Stuff like this and new music are where this place really hits its stride in my opinion.  Tips that you won't find elsewhere on things like sleeping, mental health and finding a bit of space, tent recommendations, how to hang a rucksack up in a longdrop....it's all priceless info

EDIT - forgot to add the assistance in getting each other tickets for fests and gigs.  Lovely stuff.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

I love threads like this, so much so that I'm compelled to reply even without a ticket! Sleeping at Glastonbury was always a huge issue for me back in the day, but I think I've about nailed it now thanks to four things: camping location, lack of class As, choice of beverage and quality earplugs. I used to camp up in Park Home and would lie awake for hours whatever time I went to bed, making the next day feel like a massive struggle. I need at least five hours but these days I go to bed earlier and get more like six or seven I reckon. Such an improvement.

We camp in Bushy now and it's so much quieter there that it really helps. Also the longish walk back from most of the action really helps to clear your head and tire you out for the final stretch and sends me to sleep. 

I also switch to spirits in the evening now as I used to always need a wee in the middle of the night. I can't wee into a vessel (it's psychological I think) so would have no choice but to get up. So now I try to avoid pints once the sun goes down and that definitely helps. Always try to wee at the very last toilets we pass before our tent as the last thing I do still. I often need to get up about 6 or 7 for a wee but I find that okay and tend to just wander out still in my PJs and earplugs (helps to cushion the outside world) and then go back to bed. This again is easier in Bushy where there are less party people around at that time of the morning. Blissfully quiet usually.

In terms of accessories I take these earplugs which I stumbled across years ago and absolutely swear by. They're foam but much better than any others I've used, wax or foam. They come in a pack of 50 or so for next to nothing and they really are phenomenal. Have used them in lots of situations and they are a lifesaver. Recommended them to many:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-Lite-Ear-Plugs-Honeywell/dp/B018RIA44S/ref=asc_df_B018RIA44S/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=214554455892&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7710157001804069080&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045944&hvtargid=pla-444407116528&psc=1

I do take an eye mask but I rarely use it, as like others I find it weird having something on my face/around my head. And I take a thin pillow, although not my normal pillow as I wouldn't want it to get wrecked. Used to always take an airbed but now we take an inflatable mat. I don't find it as comfortable but it is so much lighter and easier to carry. Also I've had the dreaded experience of an airbed bursting on me and waking up on the lumpy ground. Not one to repeat! 

Totally get that for some people sleep is the last thing they want to do at Glasto but I'm 37 now and over the years I've learned I'm useless without it. I have a much better festival for a few hours kip.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Brownie is an apt word to use! 

Just no getting away with anything on here lol, but no trust me not for that purpose, purely to ease things at night especially for the OH, we also have a freshener for it so no smells and cleaned every morning   

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's the cleaning it out afterwards as well that would put me off... no thanks! Each to their own though.

Indeed. It's one thing to have a bottle for a wee emergency in the middle of the night, but a keeping a shit in your tent? If I need a poo I'll get my boots on.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I love threads like this, so much so that I'm compelled to reply even without a ticket! Sleeping at Glastonbury was always a huge issue for me back in the day, but I think I've about nailed it now thanks to four things: camping location, lack of class As, choice of beverage and quality earplugs. I used to camp up in Park Home and would lie awake for hours whatever time I went to bed, making the next day feel like a massive struggle. I need at least five hours but these days I go to bed earlier and get more like six or seven I reckon. Such an improvement.

We camp in Bushy now and it's so much quieter there that it really helps. Also the longish walk back from most of the action really helps to clear your head and tire you out for the final stretch and sends me to sleep. 

I also switch to spirits in the evening now as I used to always need a wee in the middle of the night. I can't wee into a vessel (it's psychological I think) so would have no choice but to get up. So now I try to avoid pints once the sun goes down and that definitely helps. Always try to wee at the very last toilets we pass before our tent as the last thing I do still. I often need to get up about 6 or 7 for a wee but I find that okay and tend to just wander out still in my PJs and earplugs (helps to cushion the outside world) and then go back to bed. This again is easier in Bushy where there are less party people around at that time of the morning. Blissfully quiet usually.

In terms of accessories I take these earplugs which I stumbled across years ago and absolutely swear by. They're foam but much better than any others I've used, wax or foam. They come in a pack of 50 or so for next to nothing and they really are phenomenal. Have used them in lots of situations and they are a lifesaver. Recommended them to many:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-Lite-Ear-Plugs-Honeywell/dp/B018RIA44S/ref=asc_df_B018RIA44S/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=214554455892&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7710157001804069080&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045944&hvtargid=pla-444407116528&psc=1

I do take an eye mask but I rarely use it, as like others I find it weird having something on my face/around my head. And I take a thin pillow, although not my normal pillow as I wouldn't want it to get wrecked. Used to always take an airbed but now we take an inflatable mat. I don't find it as comfortable but it is so much lighter and easier to carry. Also I've had the dreaded experience of an airbed bursting on me and waking up on the lumpy ground. Not one to repeat! 

Totally get that for some people sleep is the last thing they want to do at Glasto but I'm 37 now and over the years I've learned I'm useless without it. I have a much better festival for a few hours kip.

I know all about the reluctance to take a 'normal' pillow, but I'd advise taking one. I never used to bother with a pillow, then I bothered but only brought a cheap crap one, and then I thought 'bollocks to it' and brought a deluxe one. Needless to say, the deluxe is the way forward. I found taking one to be a more spiritual experience than my insane exposure to Roman Catholicism. Mind you, I fully understand that that doesn't exactly say much.

People may find this hard to believe / accept, but there was one stage where both me and my girlfriend (at that time) used to carry in (in a one'er) on our backs and in our hands, a double blow up air bed, a double 13.5 tog quilt, two pillows, my own body weight in alcohol (or thereabouts), the tent, and a few clothes and bits and bob's. Then again i was in my youth then, and the only trolley that registered with me, was my need to get off that very same thing. I mention all this because I fully understand what you say about the weight of a blow up double air bed. I'm not sure, but I think that beneath that outer skin of waxed canvas on them, is a hidden thicker skin of lead sheeting. How else can they be that heavy? It's the only conclusion to draw.