Sleeping At Glasto

Bisque

5 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Totally agree with this. Been taking the pillow to festivals for a while now. 

I keep a small pillow in the back of my car. It’s a horrible old pillow that probably belonged to my nan. It’s rough, scratchy & pure 1960’s but it’s a pillow. Perfect for long trips when the OH enviably falls asleep or I put the back seats down on a long journey for a power nap.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:22 AM, kalifire said:

I seem to be in the minority (of one?) who sleeps well at Glastonbury. I don't normally sleep well (I can never seem to manage more than 5-6 hours, topped up by a strategic siesta) but the sound outside becomes white noise, and I enjoy drifting off to the sound of revelry and bass as long as it's not happening right outside my tent. Last year, I put my head down at about 2am each night and woke up by 10am ready for another day.

I'm pretty much with you on this on Kali. Might not be the longest sleeps because there's shit to do, but in terms of dropping off and stating asleep I never have too much trouble.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:02 AM, MetaKate said:

Im a deep sleeper. It's a blessing but man I get cranky if I dont feel rested. 

I've never gone to sleep before 6am at Glasto except on the Wednesday. I think the exhaustion of that day knocks me out easily, but I always use ear plugs and an eye mask. 

This year was brutal being woken up by the heat around 10am so I'm investing in a fresh and black this year. 

Melatonin does the trick also but I'd recommend giving it a try before the festival. 

This pretty much what I would have posted. Although I usually get to bed about 4.

Eaplugs, eyemask, some sort of sleeping aid (melatonin, xanax...).

31 minutes ago, Peter North said:

This pretty much what I would have posted. Although I usually get to bed about 4.

Eaplugs, eyemask, some sort of sleeping aid (melatonin, xanax...).

been said before here but careful with the Xanax etc, especially when mixing with other fun substances, you're really going to spoil your weekend if you wake up dead

Reckon the quietest place we’ve camped is up in lime kiln/hitchin hill  and good for a peaceful night apart from the bloke in a tractor shouting milky milky early morning! No through traffic of folk heading to other areas as well. Up in worthy view there can be a bit of bass noise from Areas just over the fence. But it’s Glastonbury, plenty time to sleep when it’s over. 

Earplugs are a good shout, but personally I always struggle with eye masks. I love the idea, but there's something about having the pressure of something around my face that stops me getting to sleep.

If I'm compus enough to either remember to buy one or make my own, I find that sitting in the tent porch with a peppermint tea and a smoke to decompress for 15 minutes before bed is perfect.  Especially if I'm up high like Big Ground and look at the site while coming down, it's a lovely way to unwind for sleep.

Edited by Quark

6 hours ago, Clubber Lang said:

Do most of you go with an airbed? Or is an Inflatable mat better? Are there some other hidden sleeping gems? Thanks 

Exped Downmat 7LW. The thing is worth it's weight in gold.

https://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/camping-sleeping/sleeping-mats-airbeds/exped-downmat-pump-camping-mat-.htm

7 hours ago, Clubber Lang said:

Do most of you go with an airbed? Or is an Inflatable mat better? Are there some other hidden sleeping gems? Thanks 

I used to take an airbed, but had a rethink after managing to absolutely shred it one year.  Still have no idea how, like I went to bed covered in razor blades!

I now go for one of these https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/mountain-equipment-helium-3-8-warm-zone-sleeping-mat-D2424300.html?colour=98 that I picked up in the sale one year.  Lighter to carry than an airbed, and because it's not as thick I find that I tend to roll around on it less. The issue I always had with the classic airbed was that being bouncier I ended up rolling off the damn thing in the night.

This one's done me a couple of fests now, and I've slept really well on it.

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

and because it's not as thick I find that I tend to roll around on it less. The issue I always had with the classic airbed was that being bouncier I ended up rolling off the damn thing in the night.

I'd agree with this. Went with a sleeping mat rather than a blow up airbed last year. I was worried it may be too thin, but more that it was too narrow as I can be a bit of a restless sleeper but it was brilliant, and coupled with the F & B tent, got a solid sleep in most mornings

16 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

been said before here but careful with the Xanax etc, especially when mixing with other fun substances, you're really going to spoil your weekend if you wake up dead

Agreed, but I only take .25mg of Xanax - that isn't going to do anything apart from put me to sleep.

Edited by Peter North

15 hours ago, Clubber Lang said:

I use a camp bed with a Thermarest on top, it's very comfortable.

22 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Reckon the quietest place we’ve camped is up in lime kiln/hitchin hill  and good for a peaceful night apart from the bloke in a tractor shouting milky milky early morning! No through traffic of folk heading to other areas as well. Up in worthy view there can be a bit of bass noise from Areas just over the fence. But it’s Glastonbury, plenty time to sleep when it’s over. 

The noise from the SE Corner is pretty bad up in CV East too, don't let the title of Quiet CV East fool you.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:26 PM, Quark said:

Earplugs are a good shout, but personally I always struggle with eye masks. I love the idea, but there's something about having the pressure of something around my face that stops me getting to sleep.

If I'm compus enough to either remember to buy one or make my own, I find that sitting in the tent porch with a peppermint tea and a smoke to decompress for 15 minutes before bed is perfect.  Especially if I'm up high like Big Ground and look at the site while coming down, it's a lovely way to unwind for sleep.

I agree, theres something also anti-survival about it, makes me feel a bit helpless (as do the earplugs). BUT... I got one that velcros  shut in the back so you make it the desired tightness.... and I keep it very lose and I dont notice im wearing it. 

On 1/13/2020 at 6:00 PM, Clubber Lang said:

I have one of these this year

https://www.atmosphere.ca/product/klymit-static-v-insulated-sleeping-mat-regular-331522178.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA6vXwBRBKEiwAYE7iS3d4k5xBnD-E12k5HHOBqLWBivk1jolUZFOwr4-fb4rVYZ59dhC0cRoCDJYQAvD_BwE#331522178=331522180

I have blown it up in my apartment and tried it and its surprisingly comfortable. Im hoping it does the trick, the reviews on it are great.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:00 AM, Clubber Lang said:

Went with an airbed for 5 years worth of festivals, not just Glastonbury. They're heavy, go down constantly and are ridiculous big to carry around.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15895557/thermarest-prolite-apex-sleeping-mat-regular-15895557

2 years ago started taking an air mat. This isn't the one I got but its very similiar, best design and buy I've made apart from my fresh and black tent. I had the best sleep I've had at a festival with this, great support, ridiculously light and easy to put away. Takes seconds to blow it back up. so I would put it down in the morning for a bit more tent room if needed. 

11 hours ago, Bisque said:

Is Xanax that strong?

I normally take 5 or 10mg of diazepam/valium when in Asia.

Its stronger than valium but has a shorter half life so the effects don't last as long. 

I can't really recommend it for sleeping compared to valium, personally I find the hangover and side effects more troublesome than not sleeping. That and I'm generally quite averse to recommending benzodiazepine due to their addictive nature and utterly horrible protracted withdrawal 

On 1/15/2020 at 4:08 AM, MetaKate said:

I agree, theres something also anti-survival about it, makes me feel a bit helpless (as do the earplugs). BUT... I got one that velcros  shut in the back so you make it the desired tightness.... and I keep it very lose and I dont notice im wearing it. 

I have one of these this year

https://www.atmosphere.ca/product/klymit-static-v-insulated-sleeping-mat-regular-331522178.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA6vXwBRBKEiwAYE7iS3d4k5xBnD-E12k5HHOBqLWBivk1jolUZFOwr4-fb4rVYZ59dhC0cRoCDJYQAvD_BwE#331522178=331522180

I have blown it up in my apartment and tried it and its surprisingly comfortable. Im hoping it does the trick, the reviews on it are great.

I bought one of those for last year, absolute godsend. More comfy than the self inflating mat I had previously, and (as I come by public transport) much lighter & smaller to carry in.