Sleeping At Glasto

Bisque

Just now, the wonderwhy said:

Camp near the Park then just run up and down the hill a few times before bed 

Genuinely think the reason I've never really had too much trouble sleeping is cause we've always camped at WV or TF. Either way you've a good jaunt between you and your sleeping bag whenever you decide to call it a night. 

A word of warning for everyone considering sleeping medication (particularly prescription)at the festival - do your research!  Don't just read the label, which might cover alcohol, but do some googling around interactions with anything else you might be taking that you can't get in the shops.  

Don't be falling into a everlasting sleep, that would just be silly.

https://www.alcohol.org/mixing-with/sleeping-pills/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

9 hours ago, MetaKate said:

so I'm investing in a fresh and black this year. 

There's going to be that many Quechua Fresh & Blacks at the festival this year, everyone is going to have a hard time finding their own one.

After last years scorching sun, we could see entire fields full of them, looking like a white tent version of Worthy View!

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

There's going to be that many Quechua Fresh & Blacks at the festival this year, everyone is going to have a hard time finding their own one.

After last years scorching sun, we could see entire fields full of them, looking like a white tent version of Worthy View!

It was noticeably harder last year than 2016 or 2017.

28 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A word of warning for everyone considering sleeping medication (particularly prescription)at the festival - do your research!  Don't just read the label, which might cover alcohol, but do some googling around interactions with anything else you might be taking that you can't get in the shops.  

Don't be falling into a everlasting sleep, that would just be silly.

https://www.alcohol.org/mixing-with/sleeping-pills/

Good advice!  I despair at people (mates included) who take things all day and night and then pop some valium to get to sleep.  It's one of the things I remember from overnight shift at Bestival... people non-responsive/unconscious medical cases from this.

I'd recommend Sominex - herbal tabs that help you get to sleep in these situations.

Edited by stuie

12 hours ago, Bisque said:

I’m a extremely poor sleeper, often struggling to get an hour, if that, a night for days sometimes.

I normally feel fine at Glastonbury what with alcohol consumption, tiredness from walking & dancing, finding my tent etc. & I’ve been extremely fortunate not to have anything like a hangover like I would if I had the same alcohol consumption at home.

My question 1: Do any of you take meds with you to help sleep whether drinking or not?

My question 2: Do you have any other techniques other than meds to help?

My question 3: Should I have posted this in the questions topics now I think about it?

I’m thinking of having a quiet night one evening so as to possibly drive & pick someone up the next day but concerned noise & the vibe of being at Glasto keeping me awake all night might impair my driving ability.

Edit: I know this could be a sensitive subject.

From your first sentence are you talking about outside of Glastonbury and have you see anyone about that.

I also see you say thinking and possibly picking someone up. Do you have to?

Just a point that I'd like to mention - if you are going to take things like prescription sleeping pills to get in to a deep sleep, please make sure that you definitely store all your valuables in the lock Ups. If you don't and you are in a deep sleep, then you'll be leaving yourself vulnerable to the bastard tent thieves.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Joeyjarmangtf said:

Plus one for the blackout tent. Last year I took a couple of packs disposable ear plugs, they don’t drown out the sound completely but they did the trick, it was mainly for the morning when Oxlyers is pounded by the sound tech for the Other Stage!

Good luck!

Aka my alarm clock.

12 hours ago, doogie said:

I'm also a lousy sleeper at the best of times.

At Glasto I use non-prescription sleeping pills, wax earplugs, aspirin, a blackout tent and an eye mask. That usually gets me 5 or 6 hours of sleep each night which is plenty 🙂

Couldn't believe how good these were compared to the the orange foamy ones. Almost total sound block

A Fresh & Black tent, some water before bed, a good long pee and a pair of the below and i'm able to get a good 6 or so hours at Glasto. It has helped being up in East CV where it's a bit quieter in the morning though.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-uk/3m-products/~/3M-E-A-R-Classic-Soft-Earplugs/?N=5002385+8709322+8711017+8711405+8711720+8720539+8720546+8720766+8725604+3291226734&rt=rud 

Great thread - I've also dealt with insomnia on and off for many years - used a variety of over the counter solutions, CBT, herbal medicines etc, anything you can think of. 

The best solution (for me) by far and away I've found was the "Sleep With Me" podcast - it's this American dude with a seriously dulcet voice who over 1-2hr podcasts tells these myriad, labyrinthine stories which mirrors dream architecture. Took me a couple weeks to get into but I been using it for over a year now, most nights. 

It's not for everyone and it takes a bit of time for it to start working, almost like training your brain, but I've not needed anything else since listening to it for a couple months. For sure I still have nights where I don't sleep amazing, it's not a cure all, but I don't feel anxious anymore staring at the ceiling, willing for sleep to come. 

It not the easiest solution, but festivals this past year (wasn't lucky enough to attend the 2018 edition) I've taken a phat battery pack and downloaded a load of the podcasts (all available on Spotify and every other podcasting medium). Combined with a podcast, and the knackering nature of a festival it doesn't take long to drift off. It also feels somewhat meditative after the high and overstimulation of a festival. 

Anyway - might be worth a try, for both festival induced sleeplessness and the everyday, run-of-the-mill variety sleeplessness. 

Some articles here on it -

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-podcast-that-tells-ingeniously-boring-bedtime-stories-to-help-you-fall-asleep

https://observer.com/2017/11/interview-cure-your-insomnia-with-drew-ackermans-sleep-with-me-podcast/

https://www.sleepwithmepodcast.com

Also, the usual things solutions also apply and the podcast works well in tandem with exercise, mindfulness, healthy eating, avoiding binge drinking/substances etc. At least one of which is achievable at Glastonbury haha

Edited by Jeremy Irons
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Genuinely think the reason I've never really had too much trouble sleeping is cause we've always camped at WV or TF. Either way you've a good jaunt between you and your sleeping bag whenever you decide to call it a night. 

Certainly got a decent kip at WV last year though the Wednesday night was really noisy , fireworks etc from the site even after we went up after 2am. Golden rule for me in my advanced years is to get at least five hours and no alcohol until mid afternoon. A tea, bacon roll, an hour getting prepared for the day, get the tent ready for the late night return so I can just fall in without any bother, them off down the steps!Would never consider any meds to aid sleep especially at the festival. If noise is a problem then ear plugs or ear phones. Another tip is to bring your pillow from home that you are used to. Do that when we go camping but too much hassle for the festival. 

I've always struggled with getting to sleep and have had crippling bouts of insomnia in the past so these days I take phenergan  to help me sleep.

It's available over the counter, doesn't interact with other medications/alcohol and doesn't leave you groggy the next day - especially when compared to stronger sleeping tablets like zopiclone or benzodiazepine based ones.

At a festival, I just need them and something to listen to through my headphones that is vaguely relaxing and can usually get to sleep no problem. It's only if I've massively over indulged that it becomes a challenge to sleep but even then i can manage to suitably relax, if not get some light, scattered sleep

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Thats full blown insomnia. Daily exercise and yoga seem to be the best cures for it.

CBT-I might also be useful. It has a good evidence base.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Irons said:

Great thread - I've also dealt with insomnia on and off for many years - used a variety of over the counter solutions, CBT, herbal medicines etc, anything you can think of. 

The best solution (for me) by far and away I've found was the "Sleep With Me" podcast - it's this American dude with a seriously dulcet voice who over 1-2hr podcasts tells these myriad, labyrinthine stories which mirrors dream architecture. Took me a couple weeks to get into but I been using it for over a year now, most nights. 

It's not for everyone and it takes a bit of time for it to start working, almost like training your brain, but I've not needed anything else since listening to it for a couple months. For sure I still have nights where I don't sleep amazing, it's not a cure all, but I don't feel anxious anymore staring at the ceiling, willing for sleep to come. 

It not the easiest solution, but festivals this past year (wasn't lucky enough to attend the 2018 edition) I've taken a phat battery pack and downloaded a load of the podcasts (all available on Spotify and every other podcasting medium). Combined with a podcast, and the knackering nature of a festival it doesn't take long to drift off. It also feels somewhat meditative after the high and overstimulation of a festival. 

Anyway - might be worth a try, for both festival induced sleeplessness and the everyday, run-of-the-mill variety sleeplessness. 

Some articles here on it -

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-podcast-that-tells-ingeniously-boring-bedtime-stories-to-help-you-fall-asleep

https://observer.com/2017/11/interview-cure-your-insomnia-with-drew-ackermans-sleep-with-me-podcast/

https://www.sleepwithmepodcast.com

Also, the usual things solutions also apply and the podcast works well in tandem with exercise, mindfulness, healthy eating, avoiding binge drinking/substances etc. At least one of which is achievable at Glastonbury haha

+1 for this. Sleep with Me is amazing, switched to it after listening to Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter, which I found myself getting too involved with, even if I'd heard the story 100X.  I struggle to get to sleep fairly often and there's something about that podcast and Scooter's voice which just hits the mark. Worth giving it a few tries if you don't sit with it well the first time.