Coachella 2020

birchtree29

It’s a fantastic lineup. Coachella always books artists a bit too early too so there will be plenty of artists lower on the bill which will be huge come next year.

Also the top lines have got some pretty heavy hitters. If the mainstage has run the jewels before rage that will be a lot of fun for those there.

If frank shows up too it could be a crazy good weekend.

I don't tend to take much notice of the Coachella lineup, as I cant really see myself ever going to it. But as its out, is it ever much of a pointer as to who is likely to play any of the European festivals this year? I can certainly see some of the names on the lineup are already announced for European dates but is they any sort of pattern in general i.e Coachella headliners/big names tend to go on to play certain European festivals etc.

37 minutes ago, Altercreed said:

omg... so Coachella is THAT much into rap music ? R.I.P rock music lovers

Not really that surprising. The US really hasn’t been that arsed about rock for a long time. It seems that rock bands keep their careers by touring Europe nowadays.

5 hours ago, Altercreed said:

omg... so Coachella is THAT much into rap music ? R.I.P rock music lovers

Been that way for a few years now. There's always been elements of electronic, hip-hop and rap music to the bill but since about 2016/17, its been very heavy on that kind of content.

As for other names, I heard all those rumours My Chemical Romance were doing this so I'm a little surprised they're not on this, especially as I think they'd be a better undercard option for Rage Against the Machine than Calvin Harris imo (though Run the Jewels would fit nicely, assuming they're not a second stage headliner or something).

10 hours ago, charlierc said:

As for other names, I heard all those rumours My Chemical Romance were doing this so I'm a little surprised they're not on this, especially as I think they'd be a better undercard option for Rage Against the Machine than Calvin Harris imo (though Run the Jewels would fit nicely, assuming they're not a second stage headliner or something).

According the Consequence of Sound, MCR asked for a headliner slot but Coachella didn't want them as a headliner, so they backed out before the poster release and Coachella got Calvin Harris which is his 4th appearance since 2012. Calvin Harris will either be at another stage or close the main stage after Rage Against the Machine

1 hour ago, birchtree29 said:

According the Consequence of Sound, MCR asked for a headliner slot but Coachella didn't want them as a headliner, so they backed out before the poster release and Coachella got Calvin Harris which is his 4th appearance since 2012. Calvin Harris will either be at another stage or close the main stage after Rage Against the Machine

Where did you find it? I just checked the COS Facebook page.

3 hours ago, birchtree29 said:

I wonder if this could have an affect for other potential bookings, given that for some festivals, they were being speculated on here as being bands playing for non-headline spots.

Unless ofc that stipulation is just for the US dates of this comeback tour.

Edited by charlierc

On 1/3/2020 at 10:49 PM, lighthouse said:

I think Run The Jewels is a more fitting sub to RATM than MCR.

Zack is a frequent rtj collaborator, and El-P produced the lone solo track he's ever released (also named the producer of his solo album, which has yet to materialize)

• 2 months later...

May be a bit of a bump but there's a lot of speculation in the Glastonbury side of this forum that this event could be pushed back or pulled altogether over coronavirus, which has grown following the cancellation of SXSW.

Unquestionably, its an increased possibility. But do we see that happening?

11 minutes ago, charlierc said:

May be a bit of a bump but there's a lot of speculation in the Glastonbury side of this forum that this event could be pushed back or pulled altogether over coronavirus, which has grown following the cancellation of SXSW.

Unquestionably, its an increased possibility. But do we see that happening?

YES. I'm 90% sure it will be cancelled. The situation in the US is about to get much much worse and it's in only a month. For festivals in the Summer, however, very hard to predict.

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

YES. I'm 90% sure it will be cancelled. The situation in the US is about to get much much worse and it's in only a month. For festivals in the Summer, however, very hard to predict.

It looks like there's a waiting point. It was mentioned that SXSW and the Ultra Festival in Miami were cancelled after the intervention of local government, and that I think Coachella will only fall when the local authorities around Indio decide its too high risk to go ahead with.

AEG is saying they're still prepping as normal, but I do think it has an above 50% chance of not going ahead.

If anyone can pull this, its pretty much Coachella, most of acts would want to play the fest no matter the dates, and would be ready to reschedule other commitments. I would say line up will be 90% the same in October. Interesting times....