2020 New Music

dentalplan

This came out in June, but only just seen it as Deezer chucked it into a "made for you" mix this morning and never heard of her before. Don't know what to class it as, but giving the album a spin and it's really rather good. Multi instrumentalist, electronica, dreamy vocal, lovely. Think vocal style of Melody's Echo Chamber.

Edited by Quark

On 8/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

Bright Eyes was great too. Record of the week for Swedge. 

This could be on my (currently quite short) AOTY list come December; it feels like a record I've been waiting for for months and only checked out because of this thread. Thanks to those that brought it to my attention. Will delve into back catalogue this week I think.

On 8/14/2020 at 3:25 PM, Miyn said:

Given the album a spin this morning, knew these guys existed but had completely passed me by but added it to my playlist to check out, as I do with most things that people suggest on here.

Not ground breaking, but really enjoying it.  Good call that man :)

The Killers are back in the studio, got a new album out within the next 10 months and it might be better than this current one according to Flowers. Do these ever really come into fruition or actually turn out to be better? Not including the recent part 2 trend that's kickin' about. 

32 minutes ago, priest17 said:

The Killers are back in the studio, got a new album out within the next 10 months and it might be better than this current one according to Flowers. Do these ever really come into fruition or actually turn out to be better? Not including the recent part 2 trend that's kickin' about. 

Came here to post this and echo the sentiment. Many a time a band has talked of having a new one immediately in the pipeline and more often than not it gets delayed and delayed until its released in the usual two-three year time frame. Still though, if they’re working off the back of Imploding the Mirage then it can only be a good thing and fingers crossed it actually is finished and released as fast as they say.

“You know when people just say that? Every time someone makes a record they say that they have 50 songs and they’re going to release another record. We really are,” Flowers told NME. “We’re going to release another one in about 10 months."

He's even acknowledged that it's usually bullshit, so he better follow through on this haha. I don't mind if it takes a bit longer mind, as I'm keen for there to be plenty of space on the setlist for Imploding The Mirage tracks on the next tour.

I really, really want to love the Bright Eyes album.  Loved Persona Non Grata and Mariana Trench, and on paper it ticks all my boxes.

You can hear the "but" building can't you?

It's just left me cold. Didn't hate it, but just finished it and I can't remember anything about it. Feel like I've let myself and everyone else down...

13 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

If you didn't give it a go I'm really liking The Front Bottoms new one, really solid album and an improvement on the previous one.

*waits for Bamber to pile on me again*

That was fun that, thanks, enjoyed it.

Given all the albums another go and still not really on any of them. Enjoying working to the Bent Arcana as its just throwing vague John Dwyer noises at me and Ryan Sawyer's incredible drumming but I could also imagine writing it off as incoherent shit jazz another time so not sure it'll go down as a classic. Really wanted to like Stick In The Wheel as well coz I love Villon Song, its just a bit too folkey an album for me though. Bright Eyes and Killers' albums did nothing wrong I'm just not massively keen to throw them on again.

Found out this afternoon that Sneaks released another one and I've enjoyed that. LA Witches album is pretty good as well. We got some really great stuff last week so I'm kinda relieved there's nothing grabbing  me strongly this week. Particularly recommend Oscar Jerome's debut which hasn't been getting much love round here, loved Do You Really then stopped following him so glad he's come out good.

9 hours ago, Quark said:

This came out in June, but only just seen it as Deezer chucked it into a "made for you" mix this morning and never heard of her before. Don't know what to class it as, but giving the album a spin and it's really rather good. Multi instrumentalist, electronica, dreamy vocal, lovely. Think vocal style of Melody's Echo Chamber.

Just listened to that beginning to end - cracking.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 11:25 AM, nikkic said:

Yeah this is pretty much where I’m at.

It’s just very forgettable. 

I like the first two albums, there’s some very good stand out tracks on there, but the new one just passes you by. 

I have given it a few listens now (Glass animals) and it certainly has got better, but understand what you are saying. My daughter is a huge fan (Dog is even named after a lyric) and did explain to me what some of the songs are about and the meanings which make a bit more sense but certainly not great throughout.

It’s All So Incredibly Loud played very loud is great though

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

I have given it a few listens now (Glass animals) and it certainly has got better, but understand what you are saying. My daughter is a huge fan (Dog is even named after a lyric) and did explain to me what some of the songs are about and the meanings which make a bit more sense but certainly not great throughout.

It’s All So Incredibly Loud played very loud is great though

Maybe I need to give it more time, tough when there’s so much good stuff to get through!

What’s the dog called? Agnes?! 

11 hours ago, nikkic said:

Maybe I need to give it more time, tough when there’s so much good stuff to get through!

What’s the dog called? Agnes?! 

Very true, loads of new stuff to be listening to. Finding it hard to give some the time they deserve. I have been staying up late to give some a proper listen.

Dog is called Exuss

10 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Very true, loads of new stuff to be listening to. Finding it hard to give some the time they deserve. I have been staying up late to give some a proper listen.

I'm being pretty brutal now tbh, normally faff around a bit but there's been so much out if something doesn't grab me on a first playthrough I'm just taking it off my list.  One or two exceptions if enough people are raving about it, but like you and @nikkic said there's just so much good stuff around this year that I'm not massively concerned.

Talking of forgettable I gave Washed Out's album a play this morning.  It's good background music and I'll add it to the pile of chilled albums for sitting in the garden or reading a book to, but not something to revisit in any detail. Think that was your take on it @FloorFiller?