2020 New Music

dentalplan

4 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I have never heard the term 'this album fucks'. To me that could be this album is shit or this album is fucking great.

Based on other reactions I am opting for fucking great?

Yeah, means it’s good. Apologies if my lame 30 year old pretending to be a cool 20 year old lingo has confused you haha.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah, means it’s good. Apologies if my lame 30 year old pretending to be a cool 20 year old lingo has confused you haha.

I'm one year off twenty so I wouldnt know twenties lingo if it punched me in the face. 

I wil give it listen, they sound quite good from efest reviews. 

Halfway through the new Dream Wife album and apart from the first track* i'm not really feeling it. It's all a bit soft after their first one. The bdrmm album is excellent though, which is lucky as accidently pre-ordered it twice :D 

*ok, there's a couple on side 2 too now i've listened to that.

Edited by cdm22

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She was due to play Sonic I think.

Sonic really booked some bigger artists than I'd have expected going on their playlist and Orbital playing the "Dance field". 

Unless I just completely overstate how popular Groove Armada, Orbital and Jessie Ware are. 

25 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Sonic really booked some bigger artists than I'd have expected going on their playlist and Orbital playing the "Dance field". 

Unless I just completely overstate how popular Groove Armada, Orbital and Jessie Ware are. 

I really struggle with working out how popular acts are. All I tend to know is whether I like them or not and I sometimes get caught in a 6 Music bubble where every one who listens to that station seem to love them but other people haven't even heard of them! 

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I really struggle with working out how popular acts are. All I tend to know is whether I like them or not and I sometimes get caught in a 6 Music bubble where every one who listens to that station seem to love them but other people haven't even heard of them! 

Yup.  It always take me by surprise that no-one's heard of Teleman!

26 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yup.  It always take me by surprise that no-one's heard of Teleman!

By the same token I had never heard of Rex Orange County last year and couldn't believe there was an act I knew nothing about that was big enough to headline the Park. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

By the same token I had never heard of Rex Orange County last year and couldn't believe there was an act I knew nothing about that was big enough to headline the Park. 

I'm still not quite sure who he is tbh :lol:

On 7/1/2020 at 9:26 PM, Copperface said:

Jetstream Pony came out last week. Beth Arzy from Luxembourg Signal and Shaun Sharman from The Wedding Present and the Popguns on drums.

Loves both Luxembourg Signal album and this is on the same level.

Like this a lot, never heard of Luxembourg Signal or this collab but will be exploring further.

Got this album going atm, it's REALLY good! 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I'm still not quite sure who he is tbh :lol:

I had a listen and didn't feel I was missing out. My husband was even less impressed. :D I just feel like I know enough about music that not knowing a headliner on my favourite stage was a bit of a shock. My niece and I have a bit of a thing that she knows more about old music than I do and I know more about new music than her. Her favourite is Fleetwood Mac. She's 21 years old!! 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I had a listen and didn't feel I was missing out. My husband was even less impressed. :D I just feel like I know enough about music that not knowing a headliner on my favourite stage was a bit of a shock. My niece and I have a bit of a thing that she knows more about old music than I do and I know more about new music than her. Her favourite is Fleetwood Mac. She's 21 years old!! 

I gave him a listen when I heard his name being bounced around for last year, just can't get on with it.  It's just a bit....beige.

Running joke with friends at work is that I will only go and see bands I can guarantee no-one in the office knows, purely so I can play the music snob card :D

I gave him a listen when I heard his name being bounced around for last year, just can't get on with it.  It's just a bit....beige.

Running joke with friends at work is that I will only go and see bands I can guarantee no-one in the office knows, purely so I can play the music snob card :D

One of my ex-colleagues used to literally jump with joy if they have heard of who I was going to see!! :D but to be fair when I said I was going to see First Aid Kit she thought it was medical training and they are one of the bigger acts :D 

I try to explain I prefer small gigs because they are cheaper and need the support more. I actually hate music snobbery and the term guilty pleasure really irritates me. Lots of pop acts that I'd love to see at Glastonbury that I wouldn't be willing to pay nearly £100 for a ticket for but that I think would be great. I'd just rather the 4 nights out for the price of 1 that you get with smaller gigs.

Just now, gigpusher said:

I try to explain I prefer small gigs because they are cheaper and need the support more. I actually hate music snobbery and the term guilty pleasure really irritates me. Lots of pop acts that I'd love to see at Glastonbury that I wouldn't be willing to pay nearly £100 for a ticket for but that I think would be great. I'd just rather the 4 nights out for the price of 1 that you get with smaller gigs.

Are you me?! :lol:

• Upvote 1

Are you me?! :lol:

I'm the significantly less fit female version of you it seems!! Good to find a kindred spirit though. After all these years I have settled on 2 genres of music stuff I like and stuff I don't like. It can sometimes take a few listens to work out what genre they belong to but I do my best to spend my time with the stuff I like!! 

Just now, gigpusher said:

I'm the significantly less fit female version of you it seems!! Good to find a kindred spirit though. After all these years I have settled on 2 genres of music stuff I like and stuff I don't like. It can sometimes take a few listens to work out what genre they belong to but I do my best to spend my time with the stuff I like!! 

I talk a great game ;)

That's really my deal in Brighton though.  Go for the smaller venues, can afford to go to more gigs that way and get a chance to see more up and coming bands.  It's certainly rare that there's a band I like enough to warrant paying out big money for, only one on the radar at the moment is Suede playing Ally Pally next year on the Coming Up 25th Anniversary tour.

There's also an element of convenience & laziness to it for me. Big venues all tend to be in London, and it's an absolute ballache to get there and back with last train times. And I can't even drink, as I still need to get home from the station anyway.  On the other hand I can jump in the car and be in Brighton in about 25 minutes.  Makes midweek gigs doable while still getting enough kip.

I'm a bit more of a magpie about music, but I certainly know there's stuff it's just not worth me bothering with beyond the occasional track as it's just not for me.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I talk a great game ;)

That's really my deal in Brighton though.  Go for the smaller venues, can afford to go to more gigs that way and get a chance to see more up and coming bands.  It's certainly rare that there's a band I like enough to warrant paying out big money for, only one on the radar at the moment is Suede playing Ally Pally next year on the Coming Up 25th Anniversary tour.

There's also an element of convenience & laziness to it for me. Big venues all tend to be in London, and it's an absolute ballache to get there and back with last train times. And I can't even drink, as I still need to get home from the station anyway.  On the other hand I can jump in the car and be in Brighton in about 25 minutes.  Makes midweek gigs doable while still getting enough kip.

I'm a bit more of a magpie about music, but I certainly know there's stuff it's just not worth me bothering with beyond the occasional track as it's just not for me.

I'm pretty lucky in Manchester as we have the small venues, the big venues and everything in between but a couple of years ago I forced a few of my friends to go and see The Lounge Kittens supported by Jay Foreman. The tickets cost us £10 and honestly was one of the funniest nights out we'd all had that year. It was so enjoyable and the friends I had convinced to come along could believe how good it was for £10. I saw Liz Lawrence at the same venue this year and she was fantastic and the ticket cost me less than £10. I really feel like I am doing my job supporting grass roots music as well. I still occasionally see big acts and definitely see a few medium sized acts as well. I should have been seeing Beck this week but with all due respect Beck will come out of this pandemic ok. He's not likely to need to get a job in a supermarket to survive whereas some of the other acts I see may well do!