2020 New Music

dentalplan

18 hours ago, Blisterpack said:

Because the city centre needs another block of new build apartments... Fs.

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

New CSH is decent which is cool!

Some people might find it cheesy but I think Life Without Missing is incredible! Weightlifters is also a standout for me. 

The second half (from Martin onwards) in general is really really good. 

Hit after hit after hit on that second half, and I'm a big fan of the first half too. Gone right up the top of the AOTY pile. 

Apparently there are four versions of the album out in the wild, so that'll be fun... 

47 minutes ago, Quark said:

There's a real glut of good stuff with this kind of sound at the moment. The Beths, Diet Cig, Beach Bunny, Mammoth Penguin, Peaness, Fightmilk....it's all good

Will have to check them out as well. I'm also liking the new EP from Self Esteem. Just a few alternative versions and a cover but I do love her and I think that her album was superb. 

It's funny, because IMO some of the pre-release songs from the new Car Seat Headrest album were absolutely the wrong choice to get people hyped for the album, but because of that my expectations were seriously lowered going in to it (so much so that I've only just bothered sticking it on when usually I'd have it on first thing) and I'm shocked at how much I love it. There are a fair few odd choices throughout that seem to have been done on purpose, and the vocals on Hollywood are always gonna be jarring so it's a bit of a skippable track along with Hymn which probably shouldn't have made the album despite it being mildly enjoyable, but the rest is doing it for me big time.

50 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It's funny, because IMO some of the pre-release songs from the new Car Seat Headrest album were absolutely the wrong choice to get people hyped for the album, but because of that my expectations were seriously lowered going in to it (so much so that I've only just bothered sticking it on when usually I'd have it on first thing) and I'm shocked at how much I love it. There are a fair few odd choices throughout that seem to have been done on purpose, and the vocals on Hollywood are always gonna be jarring so it's a bit of a skippable track along with Hymn which probably shouldn't have made the album despite it being mildly enjoyable, but the rest is doing it for me big time.

Hymn seems to be one of the tracks to have changed the most between the vinyl mix going to print and the stream being released, so I'm looking forward to getting a chance to compare the two. 

The Tops album that came out last week is top tier as well. Got a bit of a U.S. Girls vibe to it. 

Edited by the wonderwhy

Diet Cig album is awesome. Not sure why I haven't listened to them before, or if I have and it just slipped my mind, but like Quark says, they're another fine addition to a subgenre of music thats' been taking off and nailing it over the past couple of years.

New one from Dream Wife today bit more reserved that their other stuff but liked it. Hadn’t given Car Seat Headrest much of a chance before but after all the talk on here have the latest record a spin and was quite impressed 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Diet Cig album is awesome. Not sure why I haven't listened to them before, or if I have and it just slipped my mind, but like Quark says, they're another fine addition to a subgenre of music thats' been taking off and nailing it over the past couple of years.

@fightoffyour and @Noeliam put me onto Eliza and the Delusionals, you can probably add them to that list as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Billjames7 said:

Hadn’t given Car Seat Headrest much of a chance before but after all the talk on here have the latest record a spin and was quite impressed 

Wait until you hear their other records.

Not feeling the same love. Still the flashes of brilliance that Will will always have but as an attempt to shake things up it’s pretty aimless and badly done imo.

28 minutes ago, Billjames7 said:

Saw someone mention Saltwater Sun too recently who are on the Glastonbury emerging talent list. Another one that would fit nicely into that list

Just gone to check them out, I like this a lot!

It's hard to pin down what it is with this style, it's not as simple as just a guitar band with female vocals but there's definitely a sound to it. Loving it whatever it is.

Thyla and Fightmilk are both on the ETC list as well, lots of good stuff happening at the moment.

Edited by Quark