2020 New Music

dentalplan

Just now, Brownie30 said:

New single from Biffy and the lads is absolutely appalling - and that's even coming from a long-time fan of their older material!

It is really bad. Just radio friendly throwaway sound. I first saw Biffy in 2001/02 , they played to 7 people in a tiny bar. I adored them for their first three albums, and I understood what was happening with Puzzle (which I still like and accept they needed to make some money!). This is a world away from that.

Any amount of hype I had for the new Grimes album has long gone after its overlong rollout and half of the album being released as singles, so it took me somewhat by surprise that it’s actually really good. Shame she won’t be able to tour it any time soon.

Got new Moses Sumney and King Krule lined up for the day. Anything else I should be checking out/have forgotten about?

On 2/20/2020 at 6:15 AM, FloorFiller said:

This new Yves Tumor song is brilliant. Safe in the Hands of Love was such a good and under appreciated album and I’m hyped for this next one. 

Hadn't heard of him before, but really digging Safe In The Hands of Love. Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Any amount of hype I had for the new Grimes album has long gone after its overlong rollout and half of the album being released as singles, so it took me somewhat by surprise that it’s actually really good. Shame she won’t be able to tour it any time soon.

I was coming here to say the same thing. WAY better than I expected.

Violence and My Name is Dark were my standouts on first listen. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Got new Moses Sumney and King Krule lined up for the day. Anything else I should be checking out/have forgotten about?

Not much on my radar today but the Moses Boyd album from last week has been getting a lot of spins

10 minutes ago, uscore said:

yeah this is better than their last, recent, single. They were good at Bearded last year.  Fingers crossed.

Really? I think this one's OK but much preferred All I Hear.

Either way we're all agreed we want to see them this year!  Need to sort my ticket out for their tour just in case

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Really? I think this one's OK but much preferred All I Hear.

Either way we're all agreed we want to see them this year!  Need to sort my ticket out for their tour just in case

I didn't really get All I Hear.  It just seemed to be him repeating those words a lot.   However, I literally never agree with anyone on this forum about whether Music A is better or worse than Music B, so don't worry!  (Incidentally, it's me that's right and you are all wrong)

I quite like the Slow Reader's Club back story of them being a part time band for so long and finally taking the plunge to become full time.

Just now, uscore said:

I didn't really get All I Hear.  It just seemed to be him repeating those words a lot.   However, I literally never agree with anyone on this forum about whether Music A is better or worse than Music B, so don't worry!  (Incidentally, it's me that's right and you are all wrong)

I quite like the Slow Reader's Club back story of them being a part time band for so long and finally taking the plunge to become full time.

A perfectly reasonable position to take :)

I saw them on the tour when they'd just shifted to full time, they were proper happy about it (I think, it's hard to tell with Aaron :D ). They've got some proper die hard fans as well

11 hours ago, Brownie30 said:

New single from Biffy and the lads is absolutely appalling - and that's even coming from a long-time fan of their older material!

11 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

It is really bad. Just radio friendly throwaway sound. I first saw Biffy in 2001/02 , they played to 7 people in a tiny bar. I adored them for their first three albums, and I understood what was happening with Puzzle (which I still like and accept they needed to make some money!). This is a world away from that.

I'm scared to listen but know I will anyway. 

In more positive news, listening to this was a lovely 5 mins 

https://open.spotify.com/track/7q2redd5CokYn6fejlwX82

It doesn't look like it's embedding well but it's Skinny Pelembe remix of Hejira, Save it for Another.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Never doubt the queen 

2 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Beat me to it

:D

You going to get yourself a ticket for the tour in case they're not at Glastonbury?  Would definitely recommend it!  They definitely suit an indoor venue, so at the risk of them being mid-Other Stage fodder I'd look at it :)