2020 New Music

dentalplan

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

First solo single from Romy of The xx

This isn't really what I was expecting from her but I really like it. I see Jamie xx worked on it too, I know they started heading in that direction with I See You but I'd like to see The xx continue moving towards a more electronic sound as it seems to work really well for their solo collaborations. 

12 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

This isn't really what I was expecting from her but I really like it. I see Jamie xx worked on it too, I know they started heading in that direction with I See You but I'd like to see The xx continue moving towards a more electronic sound as it seems to work really well for their solo collaborations. 

I think, ironically, the one standing in the way of that is Jamie. I remember reading that when they came back together to start working on I See You the other two were buzzing to make In Colour-type record but Jamie wanted a break for that and to get back to The xx sound. 

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I think, ironically, the one standing in the way of that is Jamie. I remember reading that when they came back together to start working on I See You the other two were buzzing to make In Colour-type record but Jamie wanted a break for that and to get back to The xx sound. 

Good. I think the mix of both their old sound + flecks of In Colour’s dancier production on I See You worked well but I wouldn’t want any more of that kind of sound seeping in to xx albums as that’s not what made them so special in the first place - it should rightfully be held back for their solo stuff, as has worked so well here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Good. I think the mix of both their old sound + flecks of In Colour’s dancier production on I See You worked well but I wouldn’t want any more of that kind of sound seeping in to xx albums as that’s not what made them so special in the first place - it should rightfully be held back for their solo stuff, as has worked so well here.

Agreed. I think I See You is their best work for those very reasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d want another album like their first, but I can’t see it happening tbh. 

It’s like wanting Arcade Fire to do Funeral part 2, never going to happen. 

9 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I’d want another album like their first, but I can’t see it happening tbh. 

It’s like wanting Arcade Fire to do Funeral part 2, never going to happen. 

The thing is both of those albums seem so singular and special and timely that I don’t think either act could replicate them even if they desperately tried, and I think any attempt to would be a bit of a disaster so I’m glad neither has (so far) done so. Two cases of bands coming out of the gates with a singular sound and vision and shaking up the musical landscape so much so that by album #2 there were tons of copycats echoing their sound meaning they could only move on from it lest sound like everybody else at the time.

17 hours ago, nikkic said:

Just been listening to the new Will Butler album and it’s fantastic. 

Thanks for the GA heads up! 

Aye, I enjoyed the WB effort more than I expected.  Didn't mind Surrender as a track but it didn't have me hyped for the album, but there's a lot more variety in it.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

New single from Slow Readers Club came out yesterday.  Unsurprisingly I think it's proper good.

As a big fan of the band, I also like this a lot! Are we expecting another album shortly then? Or with The Joy of the Return only coming out earlier this year, is this just a single release? 

8 hours ago, Quark said:

New single from Slow Readers Club came out yesterday.  Unsurprisingly I think it's proper good.

I'll give this a listen later.  I quite like them usually, but they are a bit too prolific for a band whose singles all basically sound the same.

1 hour ago, uscore said:

I'll give this a listen later.  I quite like them usually, but they are a bit too prolific for a band whose singles all basically sound the same.

I know what you mean, they definitely have a sound. Partly down to Aaron's voice being quite distinctive. There was quite a different sound between Build a Tower and Joy Of The Return, but the two new ones do sound like they could have come from the last album. Luckily I like the sound, but I get where you're coming from.

On 9/27/2020 at 5:35 PM, fred quimby said:

Just got around to listening to the The Allergies release, Save the World. Loving it, some of the drum patterns might be similar but funky as. 

Ordered it on first listen. 

Hope they are on the farm next year

I am quoting myself yes. However it is to own up to how blind I must be. LP just arrived and it is actually called Say the Word

• Like 1