2020 New Music

dentalplan

Echo what people have said about The Avalanches - straight into my favs of 2020.

So many things to love about it but... a few... the fact it flows so smoothly as an album (or even like a mixtape) with highlights pop in and out all the time... production is amazing, it just *sounds* great on my headphones... and also how clever they’ve been using the guest spots almost like samples (sometimes I dunno which is which).

Love it!

1 hour ago, Radiochicken said:

Echo what people have said about The Avalanches - straight into my favs of 2020.

So many things to love about it but... a few... the fact it flows so smoothly as an album (or even like a mixtape) with highlights pop in and out all the time... production is amazing, it just *sounds* great on my headphones... and also how clever they’ve been using the guest spots almost like samples (sometimes I dunno which is which).

Love it!

Yep had this on this morning and it’s exceeded my expectations. I didn’t really go back to Wildflower much after the initial few listens for whatever reason, but this one is doing it for me right away. Seems like a good mix of the previous two albums.

Half new - the new Moby album is the most wonderful thing I’ve heard this year. It’s a “quarantine DJ set” of the All Visible Objects album released in March. Which I liked. But what he’s done with this new one is taken it to a new level. Sublime.  And a transcendental video to accompany it. https://youtu.be/Ekxk_9eLIxg

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Half new - the new Moby album is the most wonderful thing I’ve heard this year. It’s a “quarantine DJ set” of the All Visible Objects album released in March. Which I liked. But what he’s done with this new one is taken it to a new level. Sublime.  And a transcendental video to accompany it. https://youtu.be/Ekxk_9eLIxg

Ooh I didn't know he'd done that, will have to check it out. I really liked the March release, was up there in my AOTY top 10 conversation. Cheers for the heads up!

13 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this version

Yup, love this.  My grumble with the original release was that it just felt a wee bit too long, but this has trimmed about 10 minutes of fat out. The change in track order really works as well, suits a mix soooo much better.

The only negative that stood out to me was the shift from Power Is Taken into My Only Love, it just felt a bit jarring.  Was always going to be a bit tricky as PIT really stands out as a track with a different feel to the rest of the album, so not sure how else to get around that.

Bit gutted I'd already made my AOTY list!  All Visible Objects was on my longlist but got cut; this version wouldn't have taken top spot but it definitely would have put it back in top 10 contention.

19 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Basically what @Quark said; AVO was probably my favourite album of 2020* (and most played on Spotify) so cheers for highlighting this. 

*Not a vintage year for me though to be honest - despite most on here disagreeing. Not even bothered enough to rank

1 minute ago, Quark said:

New stuff from Skinny Lister, good crowd singalong feelgood vibes this one. Video's lovely as well, saw them on that tour so might well be in there somewhere!

Love 'em. Doing what they do best. 

However I would imagine that passing the flagon around and a few hundred people swigging from the same vessel might need a bit of tweaking now.

Just now, Copperface said:

Love 'em. Doing what they do best. 

However I would imagine that passing the flagon around and a few hundred people swigging from the same vessel might need a bit of tweaking now.

Yeah, not for a while sadly 😞. Love the flagon!

Although judging by what was in there last time I saw them I reckon any virus'll get burned off by the rum!