2020 New Music

dentalplan

13 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Got a feeling Ryan Adams is releasing something tonight / tomorrow.

I love his music so much why did he have to be such a prick.

Genuinely torn on whether to give whatever it is the time of day :(

Where did the cases / allegations against him end up?  Without wanting to turn this into another Kasabian binfire thread.

Need to give the whole album a listen, but loving the Phoebe Bridgers track on Cudi's new album.

On Taylor, I'm not really feeling Evermore. Quite liked Folklore and stick it on every now and again, but Evermore just isn't really doing it for me. Nothing seems to be standing out in the same way Cardigan,  Exile etc did on Folklore. Even the track with The National didn't really grab me and they're one of my favourite bands.

It was a pleasant enough listen and I may give it another crack, but can't see myself going back to it much.

48 minutes ago, internetjef said:

This avalanches album is tremendous 

expected to be a bit disappointed on first listen then for it to grow on me, but one listen in massively loving it 

Yeah, there are a lot of tracks on there, some of which I probably won't end up playing a lot... but there are some great ones as well. Overall really enjoyed it, will be somewhere  in my AOTY top ten. 

1 hour ago, EssexIndie said:

Debut solo album by Tom Clarke (The Enemy) out today, released completely independently and not available to stream.  

https://www.tomclarkemusic.com/

Even if you didn't like The Enemy this will probably surprise a few people. 

I nearly bit but I can't get enthused about an album called Chronicles Of Nigel ahah. Is any of it available to listen to anywhere?

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I nearly bit but I can't get enthused about an album called Chronicles Of Nigel ahah. Is any of it available to listen to anywhere?

Tell yourself it's called The Chronicles of Nig-El and you've got a DC Universe concept album

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

Don't think so, I couldn't find it anywhere to have a listen so took a punt on it and it's decent. Its about as far away from The Enemy as you can get which will please a lot of people (although I liked them!)

Just now, EssexIndie said:

Don't think so, I couldn't find it anywhere to have a listen so took a punt on it and it's decent. Its about as far away from The Enemy as you can get which will please a lot of people (although I liked them!)

To be honest I loved The Enemy which is why I was curious ahah. Still blast their first album but I guess my infrequent drunken streams aren't putting food on the table.

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

To be honest I loved The Enemy which is why I was curious ahah. Still blast their first album but I guess my infrequent drunken streams aren't putting food on the table.

The first album is superb. Still regularly listen to that. I read earlier that despite selling over 500,000 copies the band still don't receive anything from streaming sites as all of the money still goes to the record label. Mental!

1 minute ago, EssexIndie said:

The first album is superb. Still regularly listen to that. I read earlier that despite selling over 500,000 copies the band still don't receive anything from streaming sites as all of the money still goes to the record label. Mental!

I imagine that story is true for a lot of bands around that time, one minute selling out academies and regularly appearing on Soccer AM, the next penniless and reading a Vice w*nker refer to your music as landfill. Tough business.

34 minutes ago, Quark said:

Only got round to listening to Gorillaz this week, not sure how I kept missing it. Mighty fine.

Really? Have to say every chance the Gorillaz one ends up in my Top 10 albums certainly a couple of the tracks could easily make my top 10 songs and actually as far as album covers go it was a smasher as well!! 

I had the incredible chance to find a job in the music industry in Montreal 2 weeks before lockdown back in march. I didn't work for two months then came back full time to the office on June 1st and didn't stop since. I am assistant coordinator for Constantinople, a very musical ensemble based in Montreal, whose artistic director is setar player Kiya Tabassian.

I know it's self promotion but I take pride to talk about Kiya. Not only he is a incredible human being, he is also a musical genius. Constantinople has released 19 albums and has performed more than 50 creations since 1998. It's also literally a geographical journey, with collaborations with traditional artists from numerous countries. I could post them all but I will limit myself with three of my favorites:

- Breathings. Inspired by sounds of nature. Among numerous performers, we notably have Tuvan throat singer Mongun-ool Ondar. 

- Another one of my favorite is Under the Persian Musical Sky. A setar duo with his teacher Kayhan Kalhor. Fascinating how they dialogue.

- Last one, Crossings, a collaboration with Senegalese kora player Ablaye Cissoko. 

I would love some feedback! :) thanks!

Edited by Noeliam