2020 New Music

dentalplan

4 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

You're most welcome Quarky. The production on that Metz album is superb - the dynamics, that bass drum, the, er, noise...

Similarly, the Working Men's Club album you mentioned the other day is a belter. Given this board's (rightful) love of the dance-indie crossover, I'm surprised it's not had more love on here. Give it a listen people!

(Interesting story too, in that they started out as a hyped indie guitar band, only for the main guy to quickly get bored of that, sack all his bandmates and re-start them as a primarily synthy outfit. He may or may not be a dick for that but the album is cracking.)

https://youtu.be/EB_mwkmxeGE

Ha! I found WMC to be a bit lacklustre when I saw them - a performance highlighted by yer man tensely walking shirtless through the crowd for a couple of mins because he decided to jump cross the divide during an instrumental segment - and thought they were a bit try-hard but the album has won me back.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Quark said:

As always, thanks to all on this thread for recommendations and shouting about good stuff to listen to.

Metz ( @priest17 and @Brave Sir Robin) and Pillow Queens ( @Ryan1984  @lemons and @zahidf) both really good listens. 

Metz has definitely got a punch to it, closing track is an absolute belter.  Think Pillow Queens is more likely to get repeat spins for my taste, really like this sound.

I'm a bit behind on new releases due to hospitalization (and my reluctance to take the new Bob Mould off the turntable), but just got round to Pillow Queens. Really, really good - might be my favourite debut album of the year (I assume it's a debut?)

Next up is Matt Berninger, then vinyl reissue of Takk by Sigur Ros.

Friday 16th October 2020

It's been a long time coming

You thought it might never happen

You were starting to doubt yourself

To lose hope

That it would ever come to pass

But today is the day

You finally get to hear

Faris Badwan rapping

The artist is Dorian Electra. In addition to Faris Beats, the album also features Rebecca Black, and a song where both Village People and Pussy Riot contribute. It's something.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Ha! I found WMC to be a bit lacklustre when I saw them - a performance highlighted by yer man tensely walking shirtless through the crowd for a couple of mins because he decided to jump cross the divide during an instrumental segment - and thought they were a bit try-hard but the album has won me back.

I had the same thing, been moaning about them for a year then they go and release a decent album. Still need to get themselves a drummer.

For someone so clearly obsessed with the letter, it's a shame Beabadoobie's side B wasn't great. Enjoyed the album as an entity though, is she any good live? 

Beyond that nothing really stood out that much for me. Osees live album last week was more enjoyable than this release but I'm not huge on 20 minute prog numbers. Little Barrie's album was good, they did the theme to Better Call Saul so if you're into that get on it. Couldn't get into Matt Berninger or Open Mike Eagles but that was just coz today wasn't right for it. 

The Rocket Freudental album was a fun listen but I'm an English dickhead so there's only so much German speaking music I can hack

20 hours ago, st dan said:

Yeah agreed. I think it will be a nighttime listen - no distractions, headphones on, and a nice glass of wine/whiskey type of album. 

I'm really enjoying it but definitely a listen alone experience but it's just a beautiful collection of songs with enough changes in styles to make it interesting. 

On 10/16/2020 at 7:50 PM, priest17 said:

I had the same thing, been moaning about them for a year then they go and release a decent album. Still need to get themselves a drummer.

I’ve seen them a few times and they didn’t endear themselves to the crowd at all, despite having good tunes. Taking themselves far too seriously, being rude to staff etc. Made for a pretty awkward atmosphere.

The first time I saw them they did have a guy who played drums on some tracks and guitar on others, it worked well I thought.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Hosting (not performing on) SNL apparently, although that seems odd if she hasn’t got something lined up to promote/release, so hopefully it’s the start of her new album rollout.

rumours I've seen is the 30th, but that would be clashing with Ariana (and potentially Drake too?....) so I'm not sure I can see that happening...

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

Close the thread, he's right :(

image.png.a3ef6a773a2c692e0408a0c77b01d49c.png

I don't know he's kind of a massive prick. Nothing I hate more than old people talking about how everything was better in their day and he is a prime candidate for doing that. 

There are lots of things that wee better about the 60's to the 90's in terms of people being able to make a great income. Social circumstances making it easier for working class people to make a living etc and the charts being a place where more indie and alternative bands could aim for but there is still lots of great artists around making incredible music that someone like McCormick probably never even hears. 

• Upvote 2