2020 New Music

dentalplan

Missed this last week but having a go with it now.....

Pete Stride – Nigel Moore – Esso – a brand new album from the original Lurkers.  Long time fan Ged (Dear Gerald) Babey declares it an album of heads-down, no-nonsense punk rock’n’roll on a par with Fulham Fallout and Gods Lonely Men

Held off listening to the new James Blake stuff until this morning, bit of a mixed bag overall but I really like 'I Keep Calling', it's banging. Will give the others a few more listens before judging. 

Got Matt Berninger on at the moment, liking what I hear so far but that was always likely to be the case. I'm not exactly the most objective when it comes to these lads.

Really really like Kevin Morby’s new’un. Business as usual for him but it’s hitting all the right buttons for me this morning.

beabadoobee’s album is pretty good. Think she might’ve come a little late in the whole 90’s revival thing to really stand out as it’s nothing Soccer Mommy or Jay Som or a slew of others haven’t already over the past couple of years, although she seems to have become the poster girl for this kind of stuff so can imagine this is gonna do pretty well.

Few other good’uns lined today like Matt Berninger, Helena Decland and Gulfer.

Edited by FloorFiller

As always, thanks to all on this thread for recommendations and shouting about good stuff to listen to.

Metz ( @priest17 and @Brave Sir Robin) and Pillow Queens ( @Ryan1984  @lemons and @zahidf) both really good listens. 

Metz has definitely got a punch to it, closing track is an absolute belter.  Think Pillow Queens is more likely to get repeat spins for my taste, really like this sound.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

As always, thanks to all on this thread for recommendations and shouting about good stuff to listen to.

Metz ( @priest17 and @Brave Sir Robin) and Pillow Queens ( @Ryan1984  @lemons and @zahidf) both really good listens. 

Metz has definitely got a punch to it, closing track is an absolute belter.  Think Pillow Queens is more likely to get repeat spins for my taste, really like this sound.

You're most welcome Quarky. The production on that Metz album is superb - the dynamics, that bass drum, the, er, noise...

Similarly, the Working Men's Club album you mentioned the other day is a belter. Given this board's (rightful) love of the dance-indie crossover, I'm surprised it's not had more love on here. Give it a listen people!

(Interesting story too, in that they started out as a hyped indie guitar band, only for the main guy to quickly get bored of that, sack all his bandmates and re-start them as a primarily synthy outfit. He may or may not be a dick for that but the album is cracking.)

https://youtu.be/EB_mwkmxeGE

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

The Tugboat Captain and Mav Karlo albums are out today. The first is Divine Comedy/Los Campesinos-style indie and the latter is Tom Petty-esque power pop hooks.

The Touche Amore (post hardcore), Holy Motors, Slow Pulp (both alt folk/atmospheric -think Big Thief/Cigarettes After Sex) and Andy Bell (Ride/Oasis - not Erasure - psychedelic and jangly) are all well worth a listen.

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

On the sonos as I type 😁

Thoughts? Was saying to Hats earlier that it's hitting the spot for me, lovely shift between the sunny stuff like Stand Together and some dirty ragga/dub sounds on stuff like Addict.

Best since Worshipping The Dollar for me.

25 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

You're most welcome Quarky. The production on that Metz album is superb - the dynamics, that bass drum, the, er, noise...

Similarly, the Working Men's Club album you mentioned the other day is a belter. Given this board's (rightful) love of the dance-indie crossover, I'm surprised it's not had more love on here. Give it a listen people!

(Interesting story too, in that they started out as a hyped indie guitar band, only for the main guy to quickly get bored of that, sack all his bandmates and re-start them as a primarily synthy outfit. He may or may not be a dick for that but the album is cracking.)

https://youtu.be/EB_mwkmxeGE

Listening to Working Men's Club right now, funny enough! Yeah, really like it. On second or third listen this week I think.

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

Thoughts? Was saying to Hats earlier that it's hitting the spot for me, lovely shift between the sunny stuff like Stand Together and some dirty ragga/dub sounds on stuff like Addict.

Definitely a great album from first listen, unlike Worshipping the Dollar, which took me time to get into.

I'm liking the collaborations with Ragga Twins and Horseman. I've heard a track or two live and they certainly hit the spot.

The next live tour will be a sweaty affair for sure.

8 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Definitely a great album from first listen, unlike Worshipping the Dollar, which took me time to get into.

I'm liking the collaborations with Ragga Twins and Horseman. I've heard a track or two live and they certainly hit the spot.

The next live tour will be a sweaty affair for sure.

Indeed it will. They had Natty Campbell with them to do early plays of a couple of the tracks last year and it was bouncing.  Just seen they've rescheduled their Brighton show to April, so I'm keeping everything crossed it can go ahead.  Think they'd be my ideal first gig back!

I think WTD was the first time I discovered them, was a few years behind the curve but they had me as soon as Alive started up :D

Fingers crossed I'll see you for them in the Glade!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I'd been really looking forward to the Matt Berninger album based on the singles, but on first listen feel like they were the stand out tracks so a wee bit disappointed.

It's by no means a bad album though, quite possibly will grow on me with more listens.

Yeah agreed. I think it will be a nighttime listen - no distractions, headphones on, and a nice glass of wine/whiskey type of album. 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Don't think I've ever really listened to Dub Pistols before, but thought I'd give the new album a spin based on your excitement about it and really like it. 

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Indeed it will. They had Natty Campbell with them to do early plays of a couple of the tracks last year and it was bouncing.  Just seen they've rescheduled their Brighton show to April, so I'm keeping everything crossed it can go ahead.  Think they'd be my ideal first gig back!

I think WTD was the first time I discovered them, was a few years behind the curve but they had me as soon as Alive started up :D

Fingers crossed I'll see you for them in the Glade!

No Glastonbury truly starts until the Dubs have played in the Glade 😎 see ya down the front