2020 New Music

dentalplan

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not got to their new stuff yet, know it's been out a while but just forgot! I'll have a listen.

It's really hard to tell with Corgan.  I really liked some of the stuff off Shiny & Oh So Bright, but it's always a bit hit and miss!

Absolutely. Moving past the golden period of Siamese Dream and MCIS, Pumpkins can be very variable. I've not really been that encouraged to go back to much of the post reunion stuff really. 

3 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Absolutely. Moving past the golden period of Siamese Dream and MCIS, Pumpkins can be very variable. I've not really been that encouraged to go back to much of the post reunion stuff really. 

Even MCIS was a mix of absolute inspiration and (my favourite description from Kerrang) splurges of self indulgent mediocrity :lol:

I love Corgan for the fact he'll just throw as much at the wall as he likes and see what sticks, but it don't half churn out some nonsense as a result.

And I know I've stated my thoughts on it before, but you can add Adore to that golden period thank you so very much!

13 minutes ago, zero000 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. I might be alone in this, but I quite liked the new wave direction they've gone in for these tracks. 

Listened to the two new tracks again after seeing this announcement and yeah, I still dig them. Not sure if 20 songs of that stuff will be good, but off to a good start nonetheless which is more positive than I’ve been before going in to any of the other post-‘reunion’ Pumpkins albums. 

6 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Oceania is better than some pre-reunion albums. My favourite since 1995, I'd actually say. There's plenty of classic Pumpkins in it and some of the better New Order-obsessed output they've done to boot.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Depending on your vintage, there are new releases from Semisonic and The Young Knives out today so knock yourselves out.

Ooh, missed the Semisonic one. Actually really like the single they dropped a while back so I'll pick that up in a bit. Cheers young man.

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Even MCIS was a mix of absolute inspiration and (my favourite description from Kerrang) splurges of self indulgent mediocrity :lol:

I love Corgan for the fact he'll just throw as much at the wall as he likes and see what sticks, but it don't half churn out some nonsense as a result.

And I know I've stated my thoughts on it before, but you can add Adore to that golden period thank you so very much!

😂 I mean I think it’s at least 90% solid gold tracks. The 2nd disc is notably weaker with stuff like Stumbeline and We only come out at night are a bit of filler. 

Completely agree. The amount of tracks they’ve recorded is insane. Not only the aeroplane flies high stuff but a lot of the previously unreleased stuff is great too. 

Agree on Adore being a good record but it’s not quite on the same level as SD and MCIS. 

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Oceania is better than some pre-reunion albums. My favourite since 1995, I'd actually say. There's plenty of classic Pumpkins in it and some of the better New Order-obsessed output they've done to boot.

I’ll give it a spin. Think I skipped it entirely when it came out for some reason. 

I used to like Young Knives, but hadn't thought of them in years, until about a week ago a song in 6 music really reminded me of them, but it turned out to be another band (possibly sports team?)

Feels weird reading they have a new album out today.

They are giving away free downloads of it on their website if anyone is interested

http://young-knives.com/fbe/

Enjoyed the Young Knives one, I liked the singles though so I'm not surprised. 

I've already waxed lyrical about the new Osees one but, again, I love it.

Matt Berry's was a pleasant listen, if you've heard his stuff before its basically that again.

Daniel Romano one was cool, I guess its like country psych? It'll get more plays out of me this week.

Demae - Life Works Out... Usually was a really fun RnB album with a bit o hip-hoppy sounds littered about, sounded great in the sun.

Better day than I was expected frankly. 

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

If like me you’re sick and tired of having to wait more than 24 hours for a band to release new material then have no fear - Osees got you:

New album Metamorphosed out 16th October.

https://thehardtimes.net/music/even-newer-thee-oh-sees-album-somehow-released-new-thee-oh-sees-album/

On 9/18/2020 at 7:57 AM, Radiochicken said:

Honestly don’t know how they do it! Where is Brenda from Bristol!!

Just got round to listening to this in full. Wowee. I loved Black Is but I think this might be even better. Is there any inkling who this lot are have they done a good job at keeping it all hush hush? Such an interesting and powerful project, with a ton of great songs in just 18 months to boot.