2020 New Music

dentalplan

51 minutes ago, PDAD said:

Marika Hackman is releasing a covers album Nov 13th which looks pretty awesome (Shaz, Radiohead, Elliot Smith and Beyonce)

https://www.nme.com/news/music/marika-hackman-covers-realiti-by-grimes-and-announces-covers-album-2753081

Now this I can get on board with! 

And I'm pretty sure it'll help me to believe that every Radiohead song can be improved by not being performed by Radiohead. 

On 8/7/2020 at 3:33 PM, priest17 said:

Billy Nomates album is great, was thinking it had a Sleaford Mod energy then the boy himself popped up. Call In Sick is an anthem.

Listening to this now, it's bloody good.  Not a massive fan of Sleaford Mods so I've been putting this off, but I find it more, I dunno, accessible maybe?  Feel like it's a bit more tuneful than SM, less like I'm being hit with a brick.  Lyrics are spiky as fuck though.  Like it a lot.

Edited by Quark

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

Listening to this now, it's bloody good.  Not a massive fan of Sleaford Mods so I've been putting this off, but I find it more, I dunno, accessible maybe?  Feel like it's a bit more tuneful than SM, less like I'm being hit with a brick.  Lyrics are spiky as fuck though.  Like it a lot.

Yeah that was a bit of an immediate comparison on my first listen, more of an energy thing than sound. Mainly just picking up on the anger beneath the whole thing, I probably wouldn't put them side by side anymore for the reasons you mentioned. Someone I know compared her sound to Pozi which is a great shout, another great band on the rise*.

*I have no idea if they're on the rise, I saw them support Dry Cleaning and hear them on Marc Riley's 6music show so just waiting for them to pop up in the headliner chat

12 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Yeah that was a bit of an immediate comparison on my first listen, more of an energy thing than sound. Mainly just picking up on the anger beneath the whole thing, I probably wouldn't put them side by side anymore for the reasons you mentioned. Someone I know compared her sound to Pozi which is a great shout, another great band on the rise*.

*I have no idea if they're on the rise, I saw them support Dry Cleaning and hear them on Marc Riley's 6music show so just waiting for them to pop up in the headliner chat

Adds Pozi to endless list of stuff to check out...

I know listening to new albums on a Thursday is wrong and you shouldn't do it but Osees new one dropped on YouTube a day early and its crackin', my favourite thing they've done since Orc, maybe even A Weird Exits (I've gotten a bit tired of the long prog numbers). Short, Loud, Weird, what's not to love. Interesting how some of its grown since the rehearsal video they dropped earlier in the year as well

So after a crazy few weeks at work I have today decided it's time to catch up on some new stuff and gone through the last 7 pages and picket out some new albums and created a monster playlist to hopefully keep me going for a week or so! 

On first listen I'm liking Doves.  Does anyone know if the last Toots & The Maytals album is available on streaming. I'm on Deezer and couldn't see it so I started with a Best of because I felt like I should. 

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

So after a crazy few weeks at work I have today decided it's time to catch up on some new stuff and gone through the last 7 pages and picket out some new albums and created a monster playlist to hopefully keep me going for a week or so! 

On first listen I'm liking Doves.  Does anyone know if the last Toots & The Maytals album is available on streaming. I'm on Deezer and couldn't see it so I started with a Best of because I felt like I should. 

http://www.deezer.com/album/169217472

There you go GP

Just now, gigpusher said:

Fab thanks. Weird it doesn't come up on my phone when you search by artist. It's not in the discography section at all. 

I had the same thing. If you scroll down the discog list and click View More at the bottom, it suddenly drops some extra albums in. Deezer seems to struggle with new releases like that sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

I had the same thing. If you scroll down the discog list and click View More at the bottom, it suddenly drops some extra albums in. Deezer seems to struggle with new releases like that sometimes.

Good to know. In other news Billy Nomates 😍 Considering I cannot listen to Sleaford Mods because I cannot tolerate his voice I wasn't expecting that at all. As soon as the album started big smiles in my house all from me. The dog who has chosen to sleep on my feet hasn't had such a strong reaction to it!! 

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Good to know. In other news Billy Nomates 😍 Considering I cannot listen to Sleaford Mods because I cannot tolerate his voice I wasn't expecting that at all. As soon as the album started big smiles in my house all from me. The dog who has chosen to sleep on my feet hasn't had such a strong reaction to it!! 

Spoke too soon he turns up and 'sings' Hopefully that's all he does. 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Yeah he only pops up on one track :D

When you get to Toots, his version of Three Little Birds is proper good!

Don't know what it is about his voice because I can read an interview with him and think he seems like a sound enough guy but his voice makes me want to do a Van Gogh to my ears to stop hearing it. 

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

What are the pros of Deezer compared to Spotify?