2020 New Music

dentalplan

New Pom Poko, with a new album out November 6th. Loved the first one so good news all round.

Also I know its almost too easy to pick on the NME for shite journalism, but this was single was an NME premiere to announce the new album and the article didn't mention the album name or release date. I've disliked NME longer than I've liked them at this point so I don't know why I expect better, I do though.

I don’t think I went back to either of the last two Phoenix albums much/at all after my initial playthroughs so I’ve no idea how this compares, but I do like it a lot. Should really go back and revisit them as I probably didn’t give them a fair shot after the astounding heights of Wolfgang.

Doesn’t seem like this is for a new album - just a film soundtrack. 

Edited by FloorFiller

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t think I went back to either of the last two Phoenix albums much/at all after my initial playthroughs so I’ve no idea how this compares, but I do like it a lot. Should really go back and revisit them as I probably didn’t give them a fair shot after the astounding heights of Wolfgang.

Doesn’t seem like this is for a new album - just a film soundtrack. 

Hmm. It's fine, not really anything exciting for me. If you're digging this then it is quite possible you didn't give Bankrupt! or Ti Amo enough of a shot as there are plenty better jams between 'em.

Couple of new ones out from Thyla and Magic Gang. 

Magic Gang continue to update their sound a bit, quite a slow and reflective number but sounding quite different from their previous stuff.  This one's OK for me, not the best of the recent stuff but really looking forward to the new album coming tomorrow.

Thyla is more glorious dreampop type noise.  Always feels like she crams so much feeling into her voice, love it. They're starting to get noticed a bit more, getting airplay on Jack Saunders Radio 1 show. Definitely feels deserved, love the stuff they keep churning out.  So much good stuff coming out of Brighton at the moment, can't wait for the venues to start opening again!

On 8/14/2020 at 7:08 PM, kingcrawler said:

I wasn’t a huge fan of his first album but I’m enjoying this much more, will need to go back to it and see if it’s grown on me. The cover of Smalltown Boy that he released recently is fantastic too, I’ve had that on repeat recently.

Just picked up on this, cheers KC.  Was a bit dubious as I absolutely adore that song, but he's done a pretty good number on it.  Never listened to his stuff before so will have to give his albums a go.

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Hmm. It's fine, not really anything exciting for me. If you're digging this then it is quite possible you didn't give Bankrupt! or Ti Amo enough of a shot as there are plenty better jams between 'em.

I actually like this. I am trying to be objective given that I love them and am bound to say that but I’m genuinely not finding much to fault. Not going to be the best thing they’ve ever written (that would be a hard one) but an above average output that I am deffo bopping to. It actually sounds a bit Hot Chipp-y to me. There is talk of a new album (despite this being for the film), so I’ll look forward to that!! 😀😀. Good times 

On 8/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, Quark said:

Thoughts?

I reckon it's right up there, best album of theirs for quite a while.

I’ve given it a couple of plays today and really enjoying it ...presume it was timed for beautiful days this weekend ? I’m just about to enter a comp for tickets ... that’s one you have been to isn’t it ? 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve given it a couple of plays today and really enjoying it ...presume it was timed for beautiful days this weekend ? I’m just about to enter a comp for tickets ... that’s one you have been to isn’t it ? 

Yeah, went a couple of years ago. Would have gone this year as well but....y'know. I loved it there.  Great fun little fest. Like an oversized Field of Avalon.

Dunno about the timing of it tbh, although I would definitely imagine they'd have been giving the new tunes a damn good airing. The gig I had booked for March was moved to Sep, and now Dec 2021 😭

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, went a couple of years ago. Would have gone this year as well but....y'know. I loved it there.  Great fun little fest. Like an oversized Field of Avalon.

Dunno about the timing of it tbh, although I would definitely imagine they'd have been giving the new tunes a damn good airing. The gig I had booked for March was moved to Sep, and now Dec 2021 😭

Stupidly I’ve never been although I have flown over it when it’s in progress ... I’m going to put it on the must get out more list for next year :)