2020 New Music

dentalplan

2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Richard Dawson’s other musical project Hen Ogledd are releasing their new album in September and have released the first single: “Trouble”. 

They describe it as “weird and wonky” pop music. It’s very cute and catchy.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2QnzGRI9D2jnKL65BBRz9S?si=NGK4JWymTy6RPq_e8vjhLg

Everything about Richard Dawson's music is weird and wonky.

That's what makes it so feckin' brilliant.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:01 PM, PolygonWindow said:

Hi @eFestivals

would you have an issue with me sharing my bands release in this forum next Friday? Just wanted to be careful in case I’m breaking some kind of self promo rule.

I think he'd only take issue if you decided to launch a festival forum and post about it. A few people have promoted their music on here.

On 7/31/2020 at 12:11 PM, FloorFiller said:

I know this isn’t to everybody’s taste, but as a former emo kid who still yearns for the days when MCR were releasing frequent albums, this really hits the spot. They sometimes wear their influences on their sleeves a little too much (Cyanide could’ve come straight from The Black Parade) but this is a great mid-00’s nostalgia boost of an album. 

The album totally reminded me of the Black Parade too. I still absolutely love the Black Parade 14 years after it came out. I have a positive first impression of the Creeper album, curious to see how I feel about it after I've lived with it for longer

On 7/31/2020 at 12:11 PM, FloorFiller said:

I know this isn’t to everybody’s taste, but as a former emo kid who still yearns for the days when MCR were releasing frequent albums, this really hits the spot. They sometimes wear their influences on their sleeves a little too much (Cyanide could’ve come straight from The Black Parade) but this is a great mid-00’s nostalgia boost of an album. 

I added this to my list as well and quite enjoyed it. I'm a bit old for emo but have always loved Welcome To The Black Parade and I definitely got that vibe from it. 

On 7/31/2020 at 9:58 AM, kingcrawler said:

On a similar note, I have gone off Idles slightly since I saw them described as being the “brewdog of bands”. 

I have no idea what this means, other than it clearly being a pejorative. Hipster as fuck, but actually massively bland?  

As for Fontains DC. Im on my third go. It's good...but I would be lying if I said I liked it as much as Dogrel. Doesn't seem like it would be nearly as much fun live either.

2 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

God that new Bon Iver track is great. 

Aye can’t get enough of it. I know a lot of people hoping he’ll one day go back to the For Emma sound are probably sick of the pitch shifted vocals and off kilter songwriting, but as somebody who was always a bigger fan of his post-Emma stuff, this is hitting all the right spots for me. Sounds both classic but also incredibly refreshing.

I completely forgot about the song they released a few months ago but I’m really enjoying the new Bon Iver song too. To be honest I’m struggling to think of another recent act where the first four albums are as consistently great as Bon Iver’s. 

Who would have thought when he was writing songs in a cabin that he’d go on to collaborate with Bruce Springsteen, Kanye West and Taylor Swift?

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I actually listened to all four back to back one evening a week or so ago, it was then I realised how much 22, A Million sits apart from the other 3 for me (not in a good way).

Might try that tonight. The way my day is going I think it could be good for me. 

I absolutely adore 22, got really into it. Maybe it was a timing thing for me or something, who knows. 

I'll let you know my thoughts later if I do manage to listen through. 

22, A Million is far better than i,i, or at least I rank it that way, but hey, what with his changing sound I guess different people want different things from him. For Emma is the one I go to the least though - the whole singer/songwriter with a guitar vibe doesn’t do all that much for me and it was only with the second album that I got on board the hype train.

I think i,i is probably the weakest overall but there’s not too much between it and 22, A Million for me, the latter just has better high points. I feel like the main issue with i,i is that it’s not really a significant progression. The previous two albums were pretty big jumps from the older stuff whereas i,i felt more like a mid point between the self-titled and 22, A Million. 

7 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I think i,i is probably the weakest overall but there’s not too much between it and 22, A Million for me, the latter just has better high points. I feel like the main issue with i,i is that it’s not really a significant progression. The previous two albums were pretty big jumps from the older stuff whereas i,i felt more like a mid point between the self-titled and 22, A Million. 

I think i,i feels like a step back towards self-titled which is likely the reason I prefer it to 22, A Million

16 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Really like this

I really like the music.

I don't really get the lyrics and the fact it includes the line "And it's up to me if I don't wear a mask" doesn't seem a great message at this time. Not sure if it's ironic as I don't really understand what the hell the rest of the lyrics are about.