2020 New Music

dentalplan

30 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Listening to Crack Cloud's debut at the moment that dropped this week. Arty post-punk that's enjoyable so far, can see a few on here being fans.

Aye, top stuff, well worth diving into the origins and ethos of the band as well

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Listening to Crack Cloud's debut at the moment that dropped this week. Arty post-punk that's enjoyable so far, can see a few on here being fans.

Last week, but aye, immense. Check out their s/t EP, it's amazing. 

Reading through, I cant see a review of the new Blinders album, Fantasies of a stay at home psychopath.

I like it. A decent rock / indie album. Shit title though.

Circle Song is my favourite.

Wont change the world, but well worth a listen

Oh... there is a stupid interlude in it which made me piss, which I dont think was the intention. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

45 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Luke Jenner from the Rapture also released a solo album today and it is - no word of a lie - phenomenal.

Don’t think I ever would’ve known this existed, let alone given it a listen, if it weren’t for your recommendation but decided to give it a whirl and I’m digging it a lot. All My Love especially was some hair raising euphoric stuff. Maybe could’ve done with a few more proper ‘songs’ with full vocals etc, but it’s a pretty great, strange little album and I can see myself going back to it quite a bit. Nice one! 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Reading through, I cant see a review of the new Blinders album, Fantasies of a stay at home psychopath.

I like it. A decent rock / indie album. Shit title though.

Circle Song is my favourite.

Wont change the world, but well worth a listen

Oh... there is a stupid interlude in it which made me piss, which I dont think was the intention. 

What is it about 'interludes', 'Untitled', and some other strange little things on albums, including titled silent tracks,  which some artists insist on inserting into otherwise decent albums. 99% of them appear to be filler. Is it just me that they irritate?

3 hours ago, Copperface said:

What is it about 'interludes', 'Untitled', and some other strange little things on albums, including titled silent tracks,  which some artists insist on inserting into otherwise decent albums. 99% of them appear to be filler. Is it just me that they irritate?

I think it's an attempt to be experimental, but mainly comes across as being pretentious. 

This album is alright. It's hardly a classic, but I enjoyed it enough on first listen. I was laughing during the interlude though. 

19 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Don’t think I ever would’ve known this existed, let alone given it a listen, if it weren’t for your recommendation but decided to give it a whirl and I’m digging it a lot. All My Love especially was some hair raising euphoric stuff. Maybe could’ve done with a few more proper ‘songs’ with full vocals etc, but it’s a pretty great, strange little album and I can see myself going back to it quite a bit. Nice one! 

Likewise, great tip/album, cheers @dentalplan

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Copperface said:

It's probably an attempt to game the streaming system. More tracks = more revenue. 

https://www.factmag.com/2016/05/28/albums-are-too-long-and-streaming-rules-are-to-blame/

50 minutes ago, zero000 said:

It's probably an attempt to game the streaming system. More tracks = more revenue. 

https://www.factmag.com/2016/05/28/albums-are-too-long-and-streaming-rules-are-to-blame/

That happens but it's not the explanation for silent tracks or interludes. For starters, they have to be listened to for a full 30 seconds to count so that's why it's more about throwing in filler tracks like Drake rather than a track of 7 seconds of silence or tracks that are generally going to be skipped.

Given that they have (like skits and spoken word passages) been used for decades by huge artists, it is - Vulfpeck's Sleepify aside - 100% artistic intention and if that's what they wanna put in then can't really blame them.

I do skip The Doctor's Office when driving around town listening to The Chronic. Coward? I know.

Edited by dentalplan

So  I have listened to Taylor Swifts Folklore over the weekend

However the other album was Sault - Untitled(Black is)  released in June. Nicely contrasting

The Sault LP is brilliant and so amazingly of the time. Listening gives me real pause for thought and maybe (I hope so anyway) a small understanding of others, which is very powerful, music does this sometimes.

Other times it makes me shake my freaky ass on the dance floor :)

Edited by fred quimby

6 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Lovely stuff. Has a more Halfway Home/Strange Cacti feel to it. The new album sounds interesting. Mostly “skeletal” versions of the songs from All Mirrors. Can’t wait to hear the new version of Chance.