2020 New Music

dentalplan

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah that's them. I've never paid them much mind before, and the sound is very 90s revival. Not fighting for AOTY or anything, but was a good enough listen

Cool thanks. Might give them another chance later today then but I imagine my feelings will be much the same. I do hate to be that person that makes a judgement and sticks to it regardless though.

Just now, zeppelin said:

Cool thanks. Might give them another chance later today then but I imagine my feelings will be much the same. I do hate to be that person that makes a judgement and sticks to it regardless though.

Nah it's fair enough.  There's so much music out there you can't be expected to revisit a band you've already decided isn't really for you every time someone likes them.  I've given up on loads of stuff like that, just accepted on balance it's not for me!

Will give Protomartyr a listen, wasn't on my radar but some good chat on here so I'll give it a spin.

Big ones for me today are Lianne La Havas  and The Allergies.  Looking forward to that one, should be some good summer Friday vibes.

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Will give Protomartyr a listen, wasn't on my radar but some good chat on here so I'll give it a spin.

Big ones for me today are Lianne La Havas  and The Allergies.  Looking forward to that one, should be some good summer Friday vibes.

Perfect music for a sunny Friday morning coffee. 

29 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Perfect music for a sunny Friday morning coffee. 

Gone for Allergies first as I've got shit to do and some upbeat funk is what my ears need.  I'll give LLH a go in the afternoon when things are a bit quieter and all my meetings are done. Something to look forward to :)

Crack Cloud record was a super interesting listen. Absolutely loads of mad shit going on, from their kinda trademark Television meets jazz post-punk, to a These New Puritans esque album closer.

Protomartyr next. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

edit: oh and there's some kind of Yo La Tengo album out today as well although I'm not sure if it's a traditional album or some kind of jam thing or what.

They're single-take recordings done post-lockdown, yeah more of a jam thing. They've been releasing one track a day this week on bandcamp, now available on all good streaming services(TM). Really nice and atmospheric though.

6 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

According to this article it’s Half Waif.

From her reddit AMA

I loved working on this record! I sang back-up vocals on four songs. They sent me the tracks and gave me directions for what to do. Mostly, it was doubling flute or guitar parts. And these parts were HARD! Like, crazy phrasing and intervals. It made me feel like I was back in my voice lesson days. Their music is so cool and interesting. It was a great challenge.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Gone for Allergies first as I've got shit to do and some upbeat funk is what my ears need.  I'll give LLH a go in the afternoon when things are a bit quieter and all my meetings are done. Something to look forward to :)

Just checked out The Allergies,  not heard of them before, nice thanks,  I'm off so will go out for a long walk and listen to the rest 👍