2020 New Music

dentalplan

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Really enjoyed the Beths’ new one. Feels a lot slower than the last record with less obvious hooks but perhaps more heartfelt? 

Aye, that covers it. There's this interview with Liz where she talks about it a bit. Watched their live stream album launch last night, they're just so wonderfully...awkward. I find it really endearing :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/10/the-beths-how-new-zealands-favourite-pop-rock-group-made-self-doubt-their-brand

17 minutes ago, Baggins7 said:

Very good day today. Really enjoyed Lime Cordiale and Margo Prices new albums. Another decent single from Easy Life almost passed under my radar too. Had a quick listen to Bugeye after @Quark recommendation and they’re right up my street, will be playing this one a lot more! 
Not given the Beths a spin yet but after good reviews on here that’s lined up for tomorrow. Weekends are always better after a strong Friday of releases!

Glad you liked it, saw them supporting She Drew The Gun last year and been banging the drum ever since! They're one of those lovely moments when you discover a band you really like as a support act.

Gave The Beths album a spin and it didn’t grab me like the first one did. 

Admittedly I was in the middle of cooking a balti  and the speaker in my kitchen isn’t the best, so I’ll come back to it tomorrow and whack it on the good sound system, they’ve earned a second spin.

The Streets album I liked, obviously never going to hit the heady heights of older releases. 

Can’t stop playing Jessie Ware. Shock of the year for me. 

Will tear myself away from it to give Margo a spin tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Aye, that covers it. There's this interview with Liz where she talks about it a bit. Watched their live stream album launch last night, they're just so wonderfully...awkward. I find it really endearing :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/10/the-beths-how-new-zealands-favourite-pop-rock-group-made-self-doubt-their-brand

Yeah they’re such wonderful people can’t not love them. I’m so sad I missed them at this festival I was supposed to go to last year. Hopefully will catch them soon. 

15 hours ago, nikkic said:

Can’t stop playing Jessie Ware. Shock of the year for me. 

Will tear myself away from it to give Margo a spin tomorrow. 

It's a banger isn't it. Surprised me too. Have told my husband to listen to it so he can start weaning himself off Self Esteem. I think I'm behind the curve but he gets obsessed with albums like a teenage girl and sticks with them for months :D 

On 7/10/2020 at 1:23 PM, Woffy said:

Are the new music Spotify lists still going?

If so, would someone be kind enough to (re)share the links please. Omitted to follow previously for some reason. 

I have  personalised Release Radar and Discover Weekly playlists.  I'm not sure how I got them, I did a tiny amount of Googling and could only find articles for artists who want to get on them.  Maybe try the Home page in Spotify?

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Loving the Jacob Collier tiny desk concert. Impressively done, if nothing else. The final track ‘He Won’t Hold You’ is gorgeous. 

His mastery of music theory and his instruments is staggering.

You know he's been doing live gigs online with other musicians in another location?  That might not sound too hard until you remember the latency effect.  All these "At home" live recordings that have been popping up were all pre-recorded where each member would play to  click and then assemble it later.  Well Jacob manages to play + sing in time with another musician, accounting for the latency as if he's Ableton or something. For the other person it just sounds like he's in the room with them because he's adjusted for the delay in his head.  Basically playing ahead and behind the beat at the same time - he can hear how it will sound, but anyone listening at Jacob's end would just hear him playing at the wrong time. That's not something humans are supposed to be able to do.

I'm not sure I share his musical taste, but as a spectacle of talent, he's extraordinary.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 1:43 PM, Quark said:

The efests one? I think @Fish Bulb was curating originally, but it's all gone a bit quiet in the covid noise. Good call to resurrect though

I was, and it has. The link to the "megalist" is as follows: 
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5DwacxxUoBrb7XqNPN9PCU?si=qM4GZinoSD6-on6NnmZREQ

Happy to get back on the (usually) weekly updating if people want to keep adding to the list. Here it is:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7AErSPO2kyq6V0yskhkiJN?si=SLbzgTwsQEyPSeIrf9hTRA

25 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

I was, and it has. The link to the "megalist" is as follows: 
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5DwacxxUoBrb7XqNPN9PCU?si=qM4GZinoSD6-on6NnmZREQ

Happy to get back on the (usually) weekly updating if people want to keep adding to the list. Here it is:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7AErSPO2kyq6V0yskhkiJN?si=SLbzgTwsQEyPSeIrf9hTRA

I'll start pulling my finger out :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

New Will Butler album out on September 25.

New Will Butler song out now.

The drums on this one sound like Ready to Start.

Yeah really like this, agree with The Suburbs comparisons, bit White Stripes-y in parts too I thought 

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Only just found this band. This is from the album The Waterfall 2 released a couple of days ago.

Currently getting stuck into The Waterfall 1 now as well.

Got really in to this band in the last year so was ecstatic to hear about this new album. It’s not like anything they’ve released before, especially the first Waterfall album weirdly, but it’s pretty damn great and definitely more than just a leftovers album. 

Also got another brand new album ready and waiting to go apparently so hopefully we’ll see that some time soon. 

• Like 1