2020 New Music

dentalplan

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Anyone heard the haim album?

YouTube talked me into loving the singles, would have been perfect over the last few days. Weather goes to shit tomorrow for Manchester so all the summer albums are gonna take a hit for me.

So to answer your question no not yet.

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Anyone heard the haim album?

Just finished listening. Can't say I was really expecting all that much, but it's very very good - instantly more enjoyable than their last album which I gave up on after a couple of listens. Weird that they demoted the three early release singles to bonus tracks, but it just speaks for the quality of the rest of the material that they don't feel like bonus tracks at all. I look forward to their Pyramid set in a years time!

Lots and lots of good shit today!

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Just finished listening. Can't say I was really expecting all that much, but it's very very good - instantly more enjoyable than their last album which I gave up on after a couple of listens. Weird that they demoted the three early release singles to bonus tracks, but it just speaks for the quality of the rest of the material that they don't feel like bonus tracks at all. I look forward to their Pyramid set in a years time!

Lots and lots of good shit today!

This is good to hear. I'm a huge fan of the first album and go back to it regularly but, as you say, I've barely been back to the follow up after listening a few times when it first came out (although Right Now is great). Going to stick it on now!

2 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Not sure how popular they are on here but I really like this

It’s got a chorus alright but just feels a bit all over the place. Oil either needs to get singing lessons or learn a new trick ‘cause the talk-singing verses that they use in almost every song now are tired as hell, especially when the lyrics are often so terrible.

Man the new Jessie Ware album is great! The disco revival thing has been done to death over the last couple of years, but it's done so damn well here. Just banger after banger. Kinda wish Overtime was on here 'cause that song was incredible and fit the same vibe, but is also almost two years old so can see the reasoning for being left off. Didn't expect to like this so much as her last two were a bit patchy in places, but she's come back swinging.

9 minutes ago, st dan said:

New Jessie Ware is a piece of art yet again - she’s just superb. Most underrated artist of this generation for me. 

Agree on this - I also think she is seriously underrated.  Loved her previous 3 albums - cant wait to hear this.

Hard choices this morning - Haim or Jessie Ware first?

Just thinking - I don’t think any male fronted bands or artists are going to make an appearance in my top 10 AOTY for 2020 - its certainly been a stellar year for female releases. Now let’s hope this is reflected in the festival line ups next year. 

7 minutes ago, st dan said:

Just thinking - I don’t think any male fronted bands or artists are going to make an appearance in my top 10 AOTY for 2020 - its certainly been a stellar year for female releases. Now let’s hope this is reflected in the festival line ups next year. 

The Strokes, RTJ, Caribou and Cornershop will likely but there or thereabouts for me, but they're already looking outnumbered by the likes of Beach Bunny, Waxahatchee, Bonny Light Horseman, Fiona Apple, Big Moon, Soccer Mommy, Phoebe Bridgers, Shopping and Laura Marling.

13 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yep - excellent point.  The ladies are absolutely killing it this year.

I think I am going to be the same with my AOTY choices.  So far my favs are Big Moon, Yumi Zouma (thanks to @Quark), Lady Gaga, Phoebe Bridgers, Rini Sawayama, Dua Lipa and now half way through the new Haim and they have gone straight into that list as well.  Jessie Ware hopefully nailed on as well

Edited by circus92

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Yep - excellent point.  The ladies are absolutely killing it this year.

I think I am going to be the same with my AOTY choices.  So far my favs are Big Moon, Yumi Zouma (thanks to @Quark), Lady Gaga, Phoebe Bridgers, Rini Sawayama, Dua Lipa and now half way through the new Haim and they have gone straight into that list as well.  Jessie Ware hopefully nailed on as well

:hi:

Almost time for the halfway point AOTY contenders review chez Quark. Strong mix across the board and there's still loads I haven't got to yet. Said before and I'll say again, whatever else is going on there's some amazing music coming out this year.

I've got a top 20 tracks of the year Spotify playlist in progress right now. Will stick it up here later today for those who are interested to check it out. Although I'm very much against this practice come end of the year, it will be 'in no particular order' at this point. 

16 minutes ago, BFisherr said:

Just been watching Lorde's set from 2017, it is truly incredible. Apparently she has been in the studio working on a new album since December, I think she has a serious chance for other stage headliner or pyramid sub.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/lorde-gives-fans-an-update-on-new-music-2671994

Reckon she's got a good chance of headlining Other in 2022 (assuming all of the 2020 headliners will be moving over to next year).

57 minutes ago, st dan said:

True a lot of my favourites for the last few years have been female or female led. It's something I thought as soon as that arsehole from the Grammys said that women need to step up. I was thinking they are stepping up mate it's just you're not listening. Some incredible female talent out there in all genres. 

34 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I've got a top 20 tracks of the year Spotify playlist in progress right now. Will stick it up here later today for those who are interested to check it out. Although I'm very much against this practice come end of the year, it will be 'in no particular order' at this point. 

Problem I have with doing this is that my listening is split between the Deezer app and my Sonos.  It accesses Deezer, but doesn't recognise the number of plays or anything like that so anything it generates tends to be quite wide of the mark.

Phoebe Bridgers is good, but on first listen it's not one that's dragging me straight back in for a second round.  Probably more of a reflection on my Friday music mood, so will come back to it over the weekend when I'm a bit more chilled.

EDIT - should add that the closing track is a belter

Edited by Quark

Right - had one listen through Haim and Jessie Ware.

Haim - absolutely loving it - this will be getting lots of listens in the coming weeks

Jessie Ware - was surprisingly underwhelmed.  Found it very boring - will give it a few more listens, but really didn't grab me at all.