2020 New Music

dentalplan

7 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Jeez I didn't even clock the Sports Team release, guess I'll throw it on the pile with the other 12 out today.

It is like 2020 has taken a look at all the shit it's throwing at us and decided to balance it with heavy hit after heavy hit to take some of the sting out.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

It is like 2020 has taken a look at all the shit it's throwing at us and decided to balance it with heavy hit after heavy hit to take some of the sting out.

Like an abused pet I've grown very cautious about any sort of treat 2020 might be offering. I haven't started on my list yet so could just be a day of disappointment after disappointment ahah. 

It has all the ingredients of a great week of music ahead though. RTJ already knocked it out of the park and when some of the bigger hitters are well listened to there's a few decent prospects like Go Go Penguin's new one.

New RBCF is great although not sure if it’s quite up there with their previous stuff, but that’s just after one listen through - I’m sure it’ll be a grower. 

Was pleasantly surprised by Sports Team’s album. It’s hardly breaking the mould but for a genre I’m usually pretty ambivalent about they’re standing head and shoulders above the rest.

Hinds album is an absolute joy. They seem to get a lot of (imo) unjustified stick but I think they do what they do very well and I’m all for it. 

Muzz next, and still working my way through lists of new releases and figuring out what I should be checking out.

46 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

New RBCF is great although not sure if it’s quite up there with their previous stuff, but that’s just after one listen through - I’m sure it’ll be a grower. 

Agree with this. But I remember it took me a while to properly connect to Hope Downs and it's now one of my favourite records of the last 5 years so prepared to give this some more time too. 

Pretty much agree with @FloorFiller about those albums. Hinds particularly made me smile.

I've just finished Lithics new one and its a belter. If you're into the art punk stylings of Uranium Club, Duds, Parquet Courts (at times) and all that then its well worth a go. After 3 really fun guitar albums its good to get back to a band that plays guitars like they fucking hate them.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Hinds album is an absolute joy. They seem to get a lot of (imo) unjustified stick but I think they do what they do very well and I’m all for it. 

I love Hinds. Just listened to the new album and straight away ordered the beautiful vinyl of it. I'm a sucker for coloured vinyl anyway but their music always makes me happy. 

7 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Not unexpected given who's involved but Muzz gets a big thumbs up from me. 

Thought it started off really strong but it kind of lost my interest towards the end. Will give it another spin though and maybe the latter half will click.

No Age’s new album is another winner for me. Seem to have largely fallen off of people’s radars these days but this and their last release have been great.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

New RBCF is great although not sure if it’s quite up there with their previous stuff, but that’s just after one listen through - I’m sure it’ll be a grower

I span in twice back to back this morning (which is unusual for me) and it definitely sounds better on a second run.  I reckon it's going to be a solid grower, thoroughly enjoying it.

2 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Agree with this. But I remember it took me a while to properly connect to Hope Downs and it's now one of my favourite records of the last 5 years so prepared to give this some more time too. 

I have to say that Hope Downs leapt straight into my AOTY list on first listen when it was released, but I think a lot of that is down to the opening Salvo of Air Conditioned Man, Talking Straight and Mainland.

Loved the New Age one.

Really enjoyed the OHMME one that I've not seen mentioned much either, well worth a go. I'm not one for comparison's but I got bits of St Vincent and Sleater Kinney from it.

Debut for Westerman is pretty good as well, pretty lo-fi. Picked the wrong time to listen to it really, I'm looking forward to giving another time midweek but nows the time for some weekend shit (ie back to RTJ).

Been a Good day.

Edit: also liked Muzz's but thats a given really coz Paul Banks innit

Edited by priest17

17 hours ago, priest17 said:

Does anyone else get major early 00s mosher vibes from that Hinds track Burn? I was trying to explain to my flatmate what I meant and he looked at me like I had a screw loose. 

It's got the ghost of Cute Without The E in it and no one I know is having any of it.

18 hours ago, priest17 said:

Does anyone else get major early 00s mosher vibes from that Hinds track Burn? I was trying to explain to my flatmate what I meant and he looked at me like I had a screw loose. 

15 minutes ago, priest17 said:

It's got the ghost of Cute Without The E in it and no one I know is having any of it.

Assumed you were just talking bollocks but had to check it out after the TBS mention. I can hear it, as subtle as it may be, so your musings aren’t completely unfounded.

Also really liking this Westerman album. Have avoided listening to a lot of pre-release songs and glad I did as the album is mega. Shame it doesn’t seem to be getting too much traction, but can see him going places.

Any other recommendations from yesterday anybody?

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Also really liking this Westerman album. Have avoided listening to a lot of pre-release songs and glad I did as the album is mega. Shame it doesn’t seem to be getting too much traction, but can see him going places.

Any other recommendations from yesterday anybody?

I loved the OHMME one, dunno if you've tried that one. I haven't got to them yet but I've got the Gogo Penguin new one and the new Modern Nature ones on my radar.

I'm kinda flummoxed coz I was 100% certain Nadine Shah's album was out yesterday and I was flat out wrong, nice 3 week for that one.

EDIT: and the Lithics one if you've not touched it, might be my favourite from yesterday

Edited by priest17

On 6/5/2020 at 10:37 AM, priest17 said:

Jeez I didn't even clock the Sports Team release, guess I'll throw it on the pile with the other 12 out today.

Neither did I, didn't clock your comment either - thankfully Spotify threw up the recommendation for me!