2020 New Music

dentalplan

On 5/18/2020 at 11:43 AM, Quark said:

Only got to it today, and yes it really is rather good.

I think it's the best album out for ages. Possibly all year for me. 

He gets a lot of stick. I know he's considered a bit annoying and there was that weird thing with Natalie Portman but there's nothing bad enough to avoid his music is there?

33 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I think it's the best album out for ages. Possibly all year for me. 

He gets a lot of stick. I know he's considered a bit annoying and there was that weird thing with Natalie Portman but there's nothing bad enough to avoid his music is there?

Nothing I'm aware of.  I'm reading his book at the moment and while his behaviour does sound a bit creepy, it's not like he's had any allegations or patterns of behaviour against him that would warrant a boycott. I think it's a great album, improvement on Everything Was Beautiful...

I do love how musicians people love are eccentric artists who have the edge to be creative, but the ones that aren't so loved are considered annoying arseholes :D

2 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Thanks, that was the verification I was after to be honest. I don't know much of his back catalogue apart from Play, plenty of time to explore further at the moment. 

I'd go back and check out Everything Is Wrong.  Moves between that really good ambient slightly melancholy stuff like Porcelain and some old school high energy piano led dance.  With a bit of guitar thrown in for good measure.

4 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Thanks, that was the verification I was after to be honest. I don't know much of his back catalogue apart from Play, plenty of time to explore further at the moment. 

Eh, I know a lot of people disagree and find it hard to separate the music from the musician, but I can't think of many things that would stop me listening to somebody's music completely, especially one that I already enjoy. Not gonna go around claiming to be a Lostprophets fan, but I still stick them on for a bit of a nostalgia hit every once in a while, and I'm still a huge fan of Brand New. Some people are straight up bellends/bad people, but they can be equally great musicians at the same time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Eh, I know a lot of people disagree and find it hard to separate the music from the musician, but I can't think of many things that would stop me listening to somebody's music completely, especially one that I already enjoy. Not gonna go around claiming to be a Lostprophets fan, but I still stick them on for a bit of a nostalgia hit every once in a while, and I'm still a huge fan of Brand New. Some people are straight up bellends/bad people, but they can be equally great musicians at the same time.

Something like Lostprophets is actually quite tricky.  For a solo artist it's pretty straightforward, but with a band where one of the members is a 100% wrongun like Watkins can the rest of them be separated out and not be tarred with that brush? 

I know he can't profit from royalties while in prison, but I don't know if that means it builds up and he can claim it when he's released, or if it's effectively written off.

Personally I don't want to put a penny in his pocket ever again, so if he'd be accumulating royalties then no thanks. Also I just couldn't get past his voice and knowing what he's done. Being the vocalist it's very much front and centre. Not for me.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I'd go back and check out Everything Is Wrong.  Moves between that really good ambient slightly melancholy stuff like Porcelain and some old school high energy piano led dance.  With a bit of guitar thrown in for good measure.

Thanks, that's likely to be tomorrow morning's listening. 

I'm definitely fine with appreciating music made by knob heads. I do have a line somewhere but think it's fine for peoples lines to be at different places on the scale. I wouldn't judge anyone for listening to LP for example, yet wouldn't feel comfortable to myself.

Sorry to derail the thread. Everyone go listen to Moby:

https://open.spotify.com/album/7lYli0df1ql7AZCWNnUJuM?si=5_sIXwfWRRy1HCSjN9X7ig

11 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Thanks, that's likely to be tomorrow morning's listening. 

I'm definitely fine with appreciating music made by knob heads. I do have a line somewhere but think it's fine for peoples lines to be at different places on the scale. I wouldn't judge anyone for listening to LP for example, yet wouldn't feel comfortable to myself.

Sorry to derail the thread. Everyone go listen to Moby:

https://open.spotify.com/album/7lYli0df1ql7AZCWNnUJuM?si=5_sIXwfWRRy1HCSjN9X7ig

Have downloaded it on the back of this thread. Do like Moby's music and have seen him a few times.

Did download something the other month he did under a different name which was rather good, can't remember what that was now.

Plus he did a lovely ambient LP many moons ago which was ace which again I can't remember the name. No good am I

Does anyone listen to the US station KEXP? Absolutely loving it. I listen to the Kevin Cole slot after 10pm or so UK time. Constantly adding bands to my Spotify on the back of listening to it, almost one after the other. A great mixture of stuff from a random Finnish electronic band to Chemical Brothers mixes!

35 minutes ago, reflekting said:

The internet is abuzz as Lorde has shared an update re. a new album. No snippets, but I'm excited to hear it, and hopefully see her next year considering I missed her 2016 appearance due to the Radiohead / XX clash, 

I don’t hear many people talk about that set. Maybe because that Lorde // XX // Radiohead crunch was hard to pull off on the night. I managed to see a significant chunk of both Lorde and the XX and make it in time for Radiohead.

Lorde’s Glastonbury set was unreal. It’s probably one of my favourite performances I’ve seen at Glastonbury and definitely the best performance I’ve seen on the other stage. Very very very rare I’m actually caught breathless by an act on the other stage - one stage which is usually a bit gone for atmosphere.

I think it’s a shame that she’s gradually becoming more niche because that girl can fucking perform. If you’re a fan of her you want big things for her but I do feel she’s loosing the Gee pee a bit by taking 5+ years between albums. I reckon a JP headline set would work really well in the future. Maybe if she’s dropped off a bit she could headline a stage like West Holts, JP etc.

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t hear many people talk about that set. Maybe because that Lorde // XX // Radiohead crunch was hard to pull off on the night. I managed to see a significant chunk of both Lorde and the XX and make it in time for Radiohead.

Lorde’s Glastonbury set was unreal. It’s probably one of my favourite performances I’ve seen at Glastonbury and definitely the best performance I’ve seen on the other stage. Very very very rare I’m actually caught breathless by an act on the other stage - one stage which is usually a bit gone for atmosphere.

I think it’s a shame that she’s gradually becoming more niche because that girl can fucking perform. If you’re a fan of her you want big things for her but I do feel she’s loosing the Gee pee a bit by taking 5+ years between albums. I reckon a JP headline set would work really well in the future. Maybe if she’s dropped off a bit she could headline a stage like West Holts, JP etc.

I don't see her dropping to JP headliner any time soon. She might not be a mega mainstream chart topping act but new music from Lorde will create enough buzz to keep her firmly near the top of any lineup she's on. If anything, the semi-long gaps between albums is doing her a favour as there's a constant wonder of what direction she'll take with the next one.

Not sure where I'd place her next time she plays. Other headliner perhaps? She's certainly got the stage show for it, or at least I'm assuming she'll bring a similarly brilliant one with her on the next tour.

Also I just Wiki'd her thinking 'she's gotta be nearing 30 now' - 23! Always forget just how young she was when she took off.

Edited by FloorFiller

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

George Ezra went away and took a 4 year gap between his albums, The XX 5 years, Vampire Weekend 6 years all have come back to sub the pyramid. If she has two decent sized hits she could definitely step up from her last stage positioning, I'd let her bloody headline myself but I know she's not quite universally considered at that level.  

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don't see her dropping to JP headliner any time soon. She might not be a mega mainstream chart topping act but new music from Lorde will create enough buzz to keep her firmly near the top of any lineup she's on. If anything, the semi-long gaps between albums is doing her a favour as there's a constant wonder of what direction she'll take with the next one.

Not sure where I'd place her next time she plays. Other headliner perhaps? She's certainly got the stage show for it, or at least I'm assuming she'll bring a similarly brilliant one with her on the next tour.

Also I just Wiki'd her thinking 'she's gotta be nearing 30 now' - 23! Always forget just how young she was when she took off.

Yeah I think she could be on the pyramid next time. Might lose a stage performance but I would be surprised if she returned to the other stage again.

Then again, if the festival wants female other stage headliners. If Lorde can do it she should be doing it because she can do it.