2020 New Music

dentalplan

I've been a huge fan of Perfume Genius since his first album and this new one might just be the best thing he's released. So good. I'm holding back the tears whilst smiling from ear to ear.

Lots of good stuff to get stuck in to today after a couple of quieter weeks.

53 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I've been a huge fan of Perfume Genius since his first album and this new one might just be the best thing he's released. So good. I'm holding back the tears whilst smiling from ear to ear.

Lots of good stuff to get stuck in to today after a couple of quieter weeks.

Just gone through it, PG one of those I never got round to but thoroughly enjoyed that. A scan of the back catalogue is in order at some point, although you just called this their best album so I guess I'm in no hurry ahah.

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Is it too early to call this a masterpiece?

Nah, I'm calling it.

On second listen and loving it - some absolute bangers on there.  Favourite so far is "enemy".  Very impressive for making in 6 weeks during lockdown.  Not sure about masterpiece though 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulKav said:

How does everyone source their new music? I rely on Spotify for updating me on releases but I’ve soon discovered that it doesn’t actually show that much of what’s actually being released. Does anyone have a certain website they use for releases or different means of discovering new music? 

This is my favourite website: https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2020&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

Just had the Charli XCX album on, first track is an absolute banger but it went downhill pretty steeply from there. Over-reliance on auto-tune on far too many tracks when she doesn't need it.

EDIT - Perfume Genius didn't do it for me either. Not a good release Friday for this bear :(

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

11 hours ago, priest17 said:

Woke up to my phone telling me Weezer's new album was our today, thought the delay might have been a hoax. 

But nope my phone hates me more than Weezer does apparently.

I've got Perfume Genius, Sparks, Sex Swing, The Magnetic Fields and Jerry Paper on my list.

Edit: dunno whether to fix that typo to say out or ours.

Don’t forget Sleaford Mods’ greatest hits album.

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Don’t forget Sleaford Mods’ greatest hits album.

I did not (well I know I didn't mention it but it wasn't new). They've put out some great shit those two, some of the shit they've said about their songs on the twitter listening party is a great insight. How I Can Tell didn't make it on there I'll never know though.

For what it's worth I at least liked all those albums, Sex Swing probably my favourite, Magnetic Fields a tonne of fun which surprised me. Good day.

On 5/15/2020 at 10:17 AM, Fish Bulb said:

Nice.

Was going to suggest this source also: http://www.anydecentmusic.com/chart/JustOut.aspx

I much prefer http://www.anydecentmusic.com/ to albumoftheyear or the others: it gives you a description of the album before you click through, and quotes from the reviews to give you a flavour, rather than just numbers (although there are plenty of those too). It's also more UK-centric and looks a lot nicer.