2020 New Music

dentalplan

This is a friend of mine... I've known him since he was about 17 / 18 he's toured with some big bands and now has a new album out 

Esoterica 

Check em out. 

But please please please stay in stay safe and phone your family and friends..... 

Peace and tea. G

Been catching up with a few of the new releases this morning:

Waxahatchee album is brilliant. Always been a big fan but this new one has the makings of an instant classic.

Dua Lipa is, as expected, a banger-fest. She’ll be headlining Glastonbury come the next album I reckon. 

Nine Inch Nails albums are both very good. More background music than anything you’d just stick on to listen to, but big fan of Trent’s instrumental stuff. 

New Nap Eyes is really good. Caught bits of them in the past but this is the first album I’ve given a go and I’m really digging it. 

Still got the new Daniel Avery and Sorry albums to go, and I might give the new Pearl Jam a cursory listen at some point as I did like that first single.

Bonanza of new albums on Friday that I'm still just getting my teeth into so can't comment on those too much yet.

This song has just come out of nowhere though; supergroup-of-sorts with Paul Banks of Interpol, Matt Barrick from The Walkmen and Josh Kaufman who's done session work all over the spot (The National, TWOD, Hold Steady) and was recently part of supergroup-of-sorts Bonny Light Horseman.

The two Muzz songs so far sound like The National fronted by Paul B, which will do me right for an album yes lawd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Bonanza of new albums on Friday that I'm still just getting my teeth into so can't comment on those too much yet.

This song has just come out of nowhere though; supergroup-of-sorts with Paul Banks of Interpol, Matt Barrick from The Walkmen and Josh Kaufman who's done session work all over the spot (The National, TWOD, Hold Steady) and was recently part of supergroup-of-sorts Bonny Light Horseman.

The two Muzz songs so far sound like The National fronted by Paul B, which will do me right for an album yes lawd.

Heard about this project a few weeks ago but didn't realise they'd released anything yet, this is great. 

On 3/26/2020 at 11:00 AM, priest17 said:

Princess Nokia released 2 great albums on the same day, one kinda aggressive and trappy, the other with band arrangements not too dis-similar to earlier Chance The Rapper stuff. Some great sounds in there.

Baxter Dury's latest was great as well.

I love HMLTD's debut, despite it probably being a bit long. It's a bit much hearing one of the poshest voices in upcoming musiv singing about how he sold his soul to the devil coz he was pretty fucking poor as well ahah (I have no idea about their actual monetary situations or upbringing)

Riz Ahmed's new one is great as well, UK Hip-Hop a way no one else I know is really doing it (please recommend me stuff if I'm oblivious to others)

Wasted Shirt - Fungus II hits like a sledgehammer, banger.

Denzel Curry and Kenny Beats EP is a great fun 17 minutes, clearly both having fun, Denzel rising through the current Hip-Hop ranks for me.

The Wants - Container is a great debut, kinda synthy post-punk. I love it but hate their band name for some reason.

Mush's debut is a fucking great guitar album, echoes of Talking Heads throughout.

Joe Gideon - Armagideon is one of those albums I don't understand how it has so few plays on Spotify, heavy Nick Cave vibes (whilst not as powerful a presence). Saw him a few weeks ago performing with The Bad Seeds percussionist and it floored me and my jaw.

Can't stop going back to La Roux's new one as well, was so excited to blast it this summer, its gonna power a few of my daily walks I reckon.

I'd also like to echo everyone else's recommendations. I've also just looked up at my list and realised I've probably gone a bit far but can't choose any of them to get rid of.

On 3/26/2020 at 11:44 AM, st dan said:

The Lone Bellow new album is a nice chilled lockdown listen in the sunshine. 

On 3/26/2020 at 1:14 PM, Quark said:

Swedge, FF and Lessthanwill1 have covered off most of mine between them!  But I'd add in

The Milk - Cages

October Drift - Forever Whatever

Thyla - Everything At Once EP

Moses Boyd - Dark Matter

Franc Moody - Dream in Colour

Yumi Zouma - Truth Or Consequences

The Lathums - Fight On EP

Slow Readers Club - Joy Of The Return 

We might not have a festival and all be locked in our houses, but this really has been an outstanding first quarter of the year for music.

Thanks for all the recommendations chaps, apologies as it's taken me a while to get on here and say ta. 

All downloaded and working my way through them now!

11 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Cheers for the heads up BSR.

First up, I like this a lot.

Maybe it's my tin ear (always a possibility), but I didn't hear it as THAT dramatic a change for them tbh. From the way you described it I thought they'd gone full electronica or Slipknot on us! :lol:

I mean it's definitely a bit different from the stuff on Hope Downs, not quite so jangly in the guitar sound, but I'd have said it's still an RBCF record if that makes sense?

Either way, lush. And confirmed new album coming 5th June as well :)

https://pitchfork.com/news/rolling-blackouts-coastal-fever-announce-new-album-share-new-song-listen/

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Maybe it's my tin ear (always a possibility), but I didn't hear it as THAT dramatic a change for them tbh. From the way you described it I thought they'd gone full electronica or Slipknot on us! :lol:

I mean it's definitely a bit different from the stuff on Hope Downs, not quite so jangly in the guitar sound, but I'd have said it's still an RBCF record if that makes sense?

As @dentaIpIan spotted, I was being sarcastic!! The production is cleaner, and it’s the ginger dude singing so the main vocal is different to most of their tracks, but this could have easily fitted on Hope Downs if you ask me. Not that that’s a bad thing!

6 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

As @dentaIpIan spotted, I was being sarcastic!! The production is cleaner, and it’s the ginger dude singing so the main vocal is different to most of their tracks, but this could have easily fitted on Hope Downs if you ask me. Not that that’s a bad thing!

I blame 3 weeks working from home. I've lost all sense of conversational nuance! :lol:

Going to sit in the corner and think about what I've done...

4 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

What did you think of the album? Probably the pick of last weeks releases for me.

Had some standouts but maybe a little too much fluff. I’ll keep on with it.

4 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I didn’t think you were being sarcastic. For a band who has toed the line so carefully, it was a departure!

Finished listening to it again just now and the vocal's definitely the main difference, but it's also more chord-based than the REM arpeggio style they had on French Press and most of Hope Downs.

But yep, definitely like it.  Cars In Space has really grown on me too, looking forward to the new album.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:36 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Having chewed, I'm pleased to report that it's a Bobtastic Banquet that I love to hear.

I didn't really know what to expect going into this one.  17 minutes of Bob could have gone in any number of directions.

Turns out I love it. Great storytelling style, actually makes his weakened voice a strength rather than an issue. Reminds me of Cash's version of Hurt in that respect.

Yup. Thumbs up, Bob

Edited by Quark