2020 New Music

dentalplan

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

I've missed so much new music recently, need to get on the RTJ hype ASAP.

Can anybody send me some things to listen to that may have passed me by?

Been digging the Four Tet, Caribou, Bombay BC, Disclosure, Tame Impala and The Big Moon releases so far this year.

What do my ears need to hear? 

Princess Nokia released 2 great albums on the same day, one kinda aggressive and trappy, the other with band arrangements not too dis-similar to earlier Chance The Rapper stuff. Some great sounds in there.

Baxter Dury's latest was great as well.

I love HMLTD's debut, despite it probably being a bit long. It's a bit much hearing one of the poshest voices in upcoming musiv singing about how he sold his soul to the devil coz he was pretty fucking poor as well ahah (I have no idea about their actual monetary situations or upbringing)

Riz Ahmed's new one is great as well, UK Hip-Hop a way no one else I know is really doing it (please recommend me stuff if I'm oblivious to others)

Wasted Shirt - Fungus II hits like a sledgehammer, banger.

Denzel Curry and Kenny Beats EP is a great fun 17 minutes, clearly both having fun, Denzel rising through the current Hip-Hop ranks for me.

The Wants - Container is a great debut, kinda synthy post-punk. I love it but hate their band name for some reason.

Mush's debut is a fucking great guitar album, echoes of Talking Heads throughout.

Joe Gideon - Armagideon is one of those albums I don't understand how it has so few plays on Spotify, heavy Nick Cave vibes (whilst not as powerful a presence). Saw him a few weeks ago performing with The Bad Seeds percussionist and it floored me and my jaw.

Can't stop going back to La Roux's new one as well, was so excited to blast it this summer, its gonna power a few of my daily walks I reckon.

I'd also like to echo everyone else's recommendations. I've also just looked up at my list and realised I've probably gone a bit far but can't choose any of them to get rid of.

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

Been digging the Four Tet, Caribou, Bombay BC, Disclosure, Tame Impala and The Big Moon releases so far this year.

The Lone Bellow new album is a nice chilled lockdown listen in the sunshine. 

4 hours ago, nikkic said:

Swedge, FF and Lessthanwill1 have covered off most of mine between them!  But I'd add in

The Milk - Cages

October Drift - Forever Whatever

Thyla - Everything At Once EP

Moses Boyd - Dark Matter

Franc Moody - Dream in Colour

Yumi Zouma - Truth Or Consequences

The Lathums - Fight On EP

Slow Readers Club - Joy Of The Return 

We might not have a festival and all be locked in our houses, but this really has been an outstanding first quarter of the year for music.

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

Joe Gideon - Armagideon is one of those albums I don't understand how it has so few plays on Spotify, heavy Nick Cave vibes (whilst not as powerful a presence). Saw him a few weeks ago performing with The Bad Seeds percussionist and it floored me and my jaw.

I was about to reply saying that I saw him a little while ago supporting the Duke Spirit and that he was excellent until I looked up the gig and found it was 3 and a half years ago! Still excellent mind! :D

Edited by cdm22

Fuck the new Dua album is gorgeous, loved Dont Start Now, Future Nostalgia and Phyaical so was pretty hyped for the album but the everything up until Love Again is on that level imo. It drops off a bit for those last 3 songs tho....

Not a groundbreaking album, but its very sonically cohesive and full of bops

Latest single “Primordial Soup” from Nap Eyes is very good. The full album is also out today. Just making my way through it now. 

Indie rock / alt. country.

Reminding me of Waxahatchee but with male vocals. Those who like Whitney and RBCF will probably enjoy this (though Nap Eyes are a lot more laid back that RBCF). 

699AA66C-B19D-4EB2-987F-49C58C1BB03D.png