2020 New Music

dentalplan

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Would also be remiss of me not to stick this up. Local Brighton dreampop type band Thyla have an EP out today - Everything at Once.

Love this track from it, posted this before but worth sticking up again for the EP release :)

Love that. Just added the EP on Apple Music. Will check local listings for gigs.

1 minute ago, Tommy101 said:

I think I need to wake up a bit before giving this a go but looking forward to it.

If anyone is looking for a soundtrack to their first coffee of the day the new John Hopkins track is perfect

Have you checked the Olafur Arnalds / Ry X track that came out the other day Tommy?

1 minute ago, Hotchilidog said:

Love that. Just added the EP on Apple Music. Will check local listings for gigs.

They're playing tonight in Brighton pal, can't make it myself. Saw them supporting Magic Gang a while back, they're good live.

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, Quark said:

They're playing tonight in Brighton pal, can't make it myself. Saw them supporting Magic Gang a while back, they're good live.

I just saw that. I can't make it either! Surprisingly gutted and I've only know them for 10 minutes. Looks like they are planning busy year according to the FB Event post though. Cracking find Quark!

5 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Has anyone dared touch Green Day's new album yet?

Can't find a barge pole long enough

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Have you checked the Olafur Arnalds / Ry X track that came out the other day Tommy?

Lovely stuff.

I love that my Spotify release radar has Hopkins, Mefjus and Napalm Death on this morning. It's going to be a roller coaster.

19 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Has anyone dared touch Green Day's new album yet?

Not sure I can bring myself to do it tbh.  

EDIT - My 10:30 meeting has been cancelled. Fuck it, I'm going in. Smoke me a kipper etc...

Edited by Quark

1 hour ago, Fish Bulb said:

HMLTD's full debut album is every bit as bonkers as you'd hope it would be. Apparently their live shows are loads of fun. This has convinced me to find out for myself next weekend in Brum:

They're amazing fun live. I wasn't really convinced by the hype when To The Door came out but saw them by accident a few years ago and it completely won me over

On 2/2/2020 at 9:02 AM, Dronx said:

Im really enjoying the new Blossoms album. Really good indie pop album. 

It's ok for me.  Got some toe tappers on it but there's nothing here that's going to pull me back.

I really liked the sound on their EPs and the first album, but they've not recaptured it or have chosen to move in a slightly different direction. Can't quite put my finger on it, but going back to tracks like Charlemagne, Getaway, Blown Rose and I just don't get the same vibe.

Don't know if they've polished the production or whatever, but the tracks just don't have that same slightly melancholic note to them that I liked in that first album. 

Really enjoying the new track "Fake ID" from Spyres, a local band from Glasgow starting to do pretty well for themselves, pretty standard indie rock but really enjoyable.

First track from Pottery's debut album, "Texas Drums, Pt. I & II", is very strong also - their EP last year was brilliant.

Listened to the new Spanish Love Songs one. It's alright if you're into your emo-pop-yank-punk. Not pushing the boundaries or out, just some semi enjoyable moping against the machine.

New Shopping album was great, fun kinda jangly post-punk.

LOVE the new Sunflowers one. They've described it as "a conceptual sci-fi record about the end of the world, the rise of the machine, the feeling of doubt about one’s individuality and the acceptance of chaos" and it sounds fucking A. Its a bit less wannabe Oh Sees than their last one, although the influence is still clear, and it works in their favour. Great Psych garage album. Tied AOTD with...

New HMLTD one is actually better than I was expecting. Didn't know how I'd feel about all the old songs being on there but its like seeing old friends among the newer stuff, the whole thing was thoroughly enjoyable

La Roux was exactly what I expected, I quite enjoyed it enough though. Works with Manchester's current quite good weather.

I might give Clock Opera's a go later today, probably spend the afternoon with some of the above though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

I just saw that. I can't make it either! Surprisingly gutted and I've only know them for 10 minutes. Looks like they are planning busy year according to the FB Event post though. Cracking find Quark!

Change of plan - Brighton Electric here I come :D

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

Ok, if they tour more dates, do it. Fantastic last night.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, priest17 said:

Listened to the new Spanish Love Songs one. It's alright if you're into your emo-pop-yank-punk. Not pushing the boundaries or out, just some semi enjoyable moping against the machine.

New Shopping album was great, fun kinda jangly post-punk.

LOVE the new Sunflowers one. They've described it as "a conceptual sci-fi record about the end of the world, the rise of the machine, the feeling of doubt about one’s individuality and the acceptance of chaos" and it sounds fucking A. Its a bit less wannabe Oh Sees than their last one, although the influence is still clear, and it works in their favour. Great Psych garage album. Tied AOTD with...

New HMLTD one is actually better than I was expecting. Didn't know how I'd feel about all the old songs being on there but its like seeing old friends among the newer stuff, the whole thing was thoroughly enjoyable

La Roux was exactly what I expected, I quite enjoyed it enough though. Works with Manchester's current quite good weather.

I might give Clock Opera's a go later today, probably spend the afternoon with some of the above though.

Saw Spanish Love Songs supporting the Menzingers last night having never heard of them and they were good to be fair, might give the album a go.

23 hours ago, Quark said:

Great find! You Tube surfed to this..

Us older punters will recognise the influence/parody, it's even shot in 4:3 :D