Teacher attending future festivals

Jack.194

3 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Arrive late Friday leave late Sunday, 2 nights isn’t as good as 5 but is a hell of a lot better than 0!

Exactly! And you eliminate the chance of getting over-excited and waking up on Friday with the hangover from hell before it's really kicked off. That's definitely a win!

14 hours ago, petewilson09 said:

My wife who is a teacher has a ticket this year, first time we'll be attending Glasto and we're still debating the best way for her to not have to go to work on the thursday and friday. She doesn't work mondays so no rush to leave Sunday night or anything which is good.

Have discussed pulling sickies for the Thursday/friday but concerned about being spotted on the bbc coverage (is this overthinking it? Or have ppl been caught out before?)

Any advice would be good though?

Thanks 

Can she not offer to work a few Mondays prior to the festival  in return for the Thursday, Friday off?  

I once took a few hours off to queue up for tickets for a football game only to be filmed in the queue by bbc Scotland and was shown on the local evening news. I was actually collecting tickets for a uefa cup final that were like gold dust. That was hard to explain but colleagues covered for me and those who mattered didn’t see it! 

18 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

Are there any teachers who manage to attend the festival?

Yes loads. Most come Friday, possibly get off early. I'm primary teacher and have only managed to go one Thursday evening. I get the 'teacher's train' on Friday. Someone once asked how many people on the Glastonbury bus at 6pm Friday were teachers. It was 90%!

- Leaving at around 4 on a Friday, I live around a 3 hour drive from Glastonbury, how busy are the queues likely to be at 7pm on a Friday? Absolutely no queues at all.

- How late will I likely be able to leave the festival if I leave on the Sunday night after headliners finish? If driving you can go as late as you want, just have to be tired the next day. If going by train it will depend when the last train is. I believe the London one has about 8pm so you need to heading back, and getting the last bus at 6:30ish I think. 

I'd never stop going. 

6 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

Arrive late Friday leave late Sunday, 2 nights isn’t as good as 5 but is a hell of a lot better than 0!

Nail on head. Try & get a mate to take some gear down for you before you get the chance to arrive so you can turn up & get straight in.

Also make sure you fully get cover work sorted as you don’t want to be going back Monday feeling not 100% & the kids rioting.

Set them some group work or project that you will reward when you get back, the best in class gets a treat (donuts, lollies, sweets if allowed). Maybe get them to do a presentation on their work in front of the class so you can judge it. That’s what I’d do.

Probably depends on what you school is like in terms of very occasional flexibitly in working hours. Sometime honesty is the best option. If you work your nuts off the rest of the year and they know you aren't taking the piss the a lot of schools will allow it,  treating the Friday as PPA timer whatever its  called where a teacher is way from the class planning, etc. 

Even if you could leave at midday you could still get there by 4 and have a great time. I have driven back Sunday night, having to work in Norfolk the next day. Not ideal but it can be done. And no queues getting in or out

As I have said it depends on you relationship with the school and the headteacher. If they trust you and you are totally honest up front with them, i think you will find s lot of schools might allow at least half a day if you go the 'extra mile' the rest of the year

25 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Probably depends on what you school is like in terms of very occasional flexibitly in working hours. Sometime honesty is the best option. If you work your nuts off the rest of the year and they know you aren't taking the piss the a lot of schools will allow it,  treating the Friday as PPA timer whatever its  called where a teacher is way from the class planning, etc. 

I would go with the honesty option too. My OH’s head of department knows I got her a ticket & she is NQT but is already head of KS3. She is working hard & her head/mentor is like a mom to her so we should be ok.

& yeah PPA (life saver during NQT year) is what it’s called, perhaps do a deal & accrue some time so it’s not so inconvenient for other staff.

I’ve covered enough classes for friends when I really shouldn’t have.

One year I managed to get Friday afternoon off. If you've got something like PE, you can have a case. Obviously depends on the head. Pick your time carefully to ask and probably the further away in time the better. The trains are often quicker in the afternoon and cheaper ad those few hours difference between getting there at 4pm Friday and 8pm makes a big difference. 

My girlfriend is a teacher and we live in the north east, in the past she has managed to get the Friday off so flies from Newcastle > Bristol on the Thursday evening then misses the Sunday headliner to catch a flight home on the Monday. She’s at a different school this year with a much stricter head teacher so is apprehensive about being able to get Friday off, so she might have to come Friday evening which she still thinks is better than nothing!

If you manage to build up a long period of zero sickness then negotiating one day off (Friday) should hopefully be ok, then you can go down Thursday after school and come back Sunday after headliners. If not then Friday afternoon to Sunday night.

I used to go Tuesday morning to Monday afternoon every year, but now have moved to Thursday morning to Sunday night (child care issues), still gutted I miss out on Tuesday night BBQ and Wednesday fun but leaving Sunday night is no bother to me at all.