Teacher attending future festivals

Jack.194

Hey, (posted these previously but got no responses so re-trying, hope that’s ok!)

I’m currently a trainee teacher and am attending the festival this year in my long post-uni summer (I also attended last year) but as of September I’ll be in a full-time job teaching (for which I highly doubt I’ll be able to book holiday around Glastonbury time, which takes place during term-time) and I just have a few questions so that I can hopefully accommodate the festival;

- Are there any teachers who manage to attend the festival? If so, how?

- Leaving at around 4 on a Friday, I live around a 3 hour drive from Glastonbury, how busy are the queues likely to be at 7pm on a Friday?

- How late will I likely be able to leave the festival if I leave on the Sunday night after headliners finish?

Any advice is very welcomed! I know I’d miss a big chunk of the festival (and I know the Wednesday/Thursday is as good if not better than the Friday/Saturday/Sunday but I do feel like attending just for two nights is better than missing it entirely!

I just want to know whether I’m being too optimistic or whether it’s possible I’ll be able to attend! I desperately don’t want this year to be my last!

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Hey, (posted these previously but got no responses so re-trying, hope that’s ok!)

I’m currently a trainee teacher and am attending the festival this year in my long post-uni summer (I also attended last year) but as of September I’ll be in a full-time job teaching (for which I highly doubt I’ll be able to book holiday around Glastonbury time, which takes place during term-time) and I just have a few questions so that I can hopefully accommodate the festival;

- Leaving at around 4 on a Friday, I live around a 3 hour drive from Glastonbury, how busy are the queues likely to be at 7pm on a Friday?

- How late will I likely be able to leave the festival if I leave on the Sunday night after headliners finish?

Any advice is very welcomed! I know I’d miss a big chunk of the festival (and I know the Wednesday/Thursday is as good if not better than the Friday/Saturday/Sunday but I do feel like attending just for two nights is better than missing it entirely!

I just want to know whether I’m being too optimistic or whether it’s possible I’ll be able to attend! I desperately don’t want this year to be my last!

Thanks

Can’t you just join a union and pretend you’re  depressed? Plenty of teachers at my college were at it.

Edited by Tommy Dickfingers
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Can’t you just join a union and pretend you’re  depressed? Plenty of teachers at my college were at it.

I’ll be teaching Primary, also I’m sure they’ll notice me getting consistently depressed at the same time for the same length every year

17 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Thanks

In recent years pre retiral  I worked a 4.5 day week but did a lot of extra hours cover so took the festival week off in lieu. Also up here the festival is on our last week of term, sports and visits week, so not been a problem.  Years  ago I took a weeks unpaid leave when attending the festival. A lot depends on your employing authority. Can’t see any problems queuing on Friday. I’ve once left after the Sunday headliner and got away from site reasonably quickly. 

Maybe applying for unpaid leave for a couple of days would be your best idea

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Queues will be non-existent. 

Will send a DM with other info - may not be until tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

In recent years pre retiral  I worked a 4.5 day week but did a lot of extra hours cover so took the festival week off in lieu. Also up here the festival is on our last week of term, sports and visits week, so not been a problem.  Years  ago I took a weeks unpaid leave when attending the festival. A lot depends on your employing authority. Can’t see any problems queuing on Friday. I’ve once left after the Sunday headliner and got away from site reasonably quickly. 

Yea taking time sick/unpaid holiday is something I’ll have to consider when I know full employment details but I’m approaching the situation as if I can’t get any holiday + have to work up to Friday afternoon.

It’s just the queueing times I’m interested generally, that’s useful info though so thank you!

47 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Thanks

Hello :)

One of the members of my Glastonbury crew is a teacher. He works in London. In previous years he has tried to get away as early as possible on the Friday and driven straight down to the site from work. No queues at all at that time. I remember him coming to find us in the JP one year just before Crystal Fighters were on, so around 6pm I think? Now he's a Deputy Head so he teaches fewer lessons and is generally more flexible, so I presume he will try to leave even earlier on the Friday.

So, he does mis a fair chunk of the festival but definitely thinks getting the weekend is better than nothing! His game plan on arrival is to get as messy as possible as quickly as he can and party through Fri night/Saturday - he actually went missing for a good few hours last time. He then tries to get a relatively good sleep on Saturday night (when he finally gets to bed) and does Sunday completely sober, before leaving around 6/7pm on the Sunday. It would probably be possible to stay for the headliner if it was a big one, but the queues are likely to be more shit then I expect. Obvs packing the car up in the morning will help a little with that. 

I do  know several colleagues who have over the years been creative with taking time off either by taking sickies, attending non existent weddings of close relatives, the old standby, the grannies funeral. If anyone takes that route then obviously you have to keep quiet about attending the festival. Best to explore the legitimate ways of taking time off!    

Leaving on Sunday night, get the car packed in the morning. The one time I left after a headliner  I reached the M5 by 4am , still wearing a coldplay wristband.  stood at the back of the field for a quick getaway. That was a bad year with the mud. Probably been a lot easier the last two festivals. 

My wife who is a teacher has a ticket this year, first time we'll be attending Glasto and we're still debating the best way for her to not have to go to work on the thursday and friday. She doesn't work mondays so no rush to leave Sunday night or anything which is good.

Have discussed pulling sickies for the Thursday/friday but concerned about being spotted on the bbc coverage (is this overthinking it? Or have ppl been caught out before?)

Any advice would be good though?

Thanks 

15 minutes ago, petewilson09 said:

My wife who is a teacher has a ticket this year, first time we'll be attending Glasto and we're still debating the best way for her to not have to go to work on the thursday and friday. She doesn't work mondays so no rush to leave Sunday night or anything which is good.

Have discussed pulling sickies for the Thursday/friday but concerned about being spotted on the bbc coverage (is this overthinking it? Or have ppl been caught out before?)

Any advice would be good though?

Thanks 

I’d go into work on the Thursday/Friday if she can’t get it off, I’ve heard of teachers getting in a fair bit of trouble after getting caught. If there’s no way anyone would find out then it’s maybe a risk worth taking, but can never be ruled out!

Could she not swap different working days around to get at least the Friday off?

I'd be terrified of skiving and getting caught!  I guess you minimise risks by not hanging around front of stages or wearing a big hat and glasses or something.. But thats the risk you take... 

But plenty of folk arrive friday evening and leave sunday... 

• Like 1

@Jack.194

I am not a teacher disclaimer.

However, I did volunteer alongside someone in almost exactly your position in 2016. Fresh out of school and intending to go right back and have a career.

I made sure to rib them with "You do realise you'll never be able to attend a full festival ever again".

Unlike you, it was their first festival, so I was able to add, "...and given what you've experienced this weekend, do you still fancy said career?". They wavered at that question.

I'm pretty certain that I saw them there in a volunteering capacity in the festival just gone (which means they would've been there from Tuesday 'till Monday).

So. Did they find an out? Did they change career plans?  Did they try teaching and hated it? Was I mistaken and it wasn't them?

So many questions, but no answers from me then. Just an anecdote.

Also. This is very similar to the, "How do I take my kids out of school for Glastonbury without getting a fine", threads that pop up every year. I'll bet there are more parents than teachers on here.

Maybe take some tips from them.

I hope you find a solution Jack.

3 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

- Are there any teachers who manage to attend the festival?

Yes, my other half & I are going. We are secondary school teachers though.

If you are training PGCE then you should be finished by mid-June. If salaried or SCITT then maybe consider starting next September (you will lose your summer salary though).

I am driving Wednesday & going back (not too far but too far to be wrecked the night before) to pick her up. I don’t leave my car on festival site as a friend lives in Taunton.

Will DM you some details.

Sunday will unfortunately be a quieter night & maybe leave 1am-ish & just plow back home. We won’t be taking much gear to get a quick exit & I’ll take as much when I first arrive. We should have done everything late night orientated by Sunday anyway. Shame we will have to speed up our attendance but not much we can do. It will be my 10th Glasto & her first so a shame I won’t be able to do the Wed/Thursday magical wander around the site.

If not we have a plan in mind to maybe go together Thursday due to her departments on going problems & the amount of cover she has done recently.

Make sure you are joined to a union, I’m still signed up for free from training.

....on a side note, I did house assembly for how to get students at the school recycling more & not dropping litter as we had an open day coming up. I showed them a picture of the aftermath of Glasto a few years ago. I got a lot of credit from the kids for being a teacher that goes to festivals, more questions about seeing Charli XCX than about tetonic plates.

314FE96F-1F2C-4D7D-B83D-0EDB7B6E5BCD.jpeg

Edited by Bisque

If you have an interview, just state outright the dates off & don’t explicitly say why. It’s none of their business why you need time off in term time, plenty of teacher friends have had to do it for weddings abroad when they’ve been bridesmaids etc.

Don't call in sick. Very tough to explain when you return with a sun-tan.

I have no personal experience but know a few teachers who have done the festival. I say the only thing to do is just go for it. You'll arrive late on Friday, maybe catch the headliners. Have an amazing Saturday and Sunday and then get home in the early hours. Monday will be hell, but it'll be worth it.

I met a very clean smelling fresh faced woman at the front for Rosin Murphy on a recent Friday evening. Just cracked her first gin in a tin having left school at 4pm. She was absolutely loving it and would it have missed it for the world. 

Getting on site will be a doddle for you. 

13 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

Thanks

You're getting a lot of people encouraging sickies and even choosing a different career...which is a bit much! Honestly, the friend who I described in the post above loves teaching and loves Glastonbury - it is possible to do both. Sure Friday evening to Sunday evening isn't ideal, but the fact that he keeps coming back every year suggests to me that it's still possible to have a great time 🙂

Are you going with people who aren't teachers? If you could get them to take your tent down that would mean you really limit the amount of faff you have on arrival. Get there, dump bag, and get the fuck out to see some music!

My wife is a teacher and has attended before.

Depending on how flexible (nice) your headteacher is you may be able to use the time which is set aside each week (think it's an entire day if you're NQT or half a day after this) to plan for following week's lessons and "work from home" or in other words go to the festival.

With that in mind you could even leave school Thursday afternoon and be at the festival by the time the sun goes down!

We live 25 mins away from site and she just left after the headliner and went in to school on the Monday.

It does mean a sober Sunday but that's a small price to pay.

I would  encourage against sickness and go with the honest approach .... im not sure how you could / can have the same enjoyment levels without mentioning that you have been to the festival or are going in the build up .... a total impossibility for many on here . Social media and photos would also need to be completely avoided along with covering up the disheveled / completely knackered appearance on the Monday.

It is quite possible to avoid all the bbc coverage by staying away from the barriers of the main stages all weekend and not wearing anything that might encourage tv coverage or photographers , ive stayed out of it for most of my 13 festivals ...but there is that small chance of getting caught out ... my friends at their first Glastonbury last year were on the main festival website with a photo of them at Pangea last year ... that I found with no knowledge of it existing .

Be honest ... Its a better policy for life and not just Glastonbury  

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

You're getting a lot of people encouraging sickies and even choosing a different career...which is a bit much! Honestly, the friend who I described in the post above loves teaching and loves Glastonbury - it is possible to do both. Sure Friday evening to Sunday evening isn't ideal, but the fact that he keeps coming back every year suggests to me that it's still possible to have a great time 🙂

Are you going with people who aren't teachers? If you could get them to take your tent down that would mean you really limit the amount of faff you have on arrival. Get there, dump bag, and get the fuck out to see some music!

Yea I wouldn’t have thought of pulling a sickie, plus changing careers is a bit much haha, just wanted info on arriving/leaving at certain times but looks like that’ll be the plan! Arrive late Friday leave late Sunday, 2 nights isn’t as good as 5 but is a hell of a lot better than 0!