2021 Headliners

I remember it vividly, on the way back from a school trip to Alton Towers, 'Oh Yeah' by Ash ringing in my ears. We stopped at a service station on the way home (think it was Lancaster) where I was able to watch that Patrick Kluivert consolation goal go in, knocking Scotland out of the tournament. It's all been downhill from then on. 

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

The mention of Euro 96 just awoke a memory I didn't even know I had! And it turns out the memory was from World Cup 98 anyway.

Does anyone remember the England squad coin collection book? 

Coins1.jpg

Coins2.jpg

Yep I had that!

19 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I remember it vividly, on the way back from a school trip to Alton Towers, 'Oh Yeah' by Ash ringing in my ears. We stopped at a service station on the way home (think it was Lancaster) where I was able to watch that Patrick Kluivert consolation goal go in, knocking Scotland out of the tournament. It's all been downhill from then on. 

I went to school next door to Villa Park, where the Dutch and Scots played. Remember having a kick about with some of their fans in the park beforehand.

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I completed this one .... apart from the last sticker ... they sent me the wrong one ... when I needed just a few to complete it !! Bloody Cameroon :( 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had the full England & Scotland squads in coin form from the Esso garage collection.  The main thing I remember is that they had a coin with David Platt's face but named it David Rocastle.

Think I've still got them at my parents' somewhere.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I had the full England & Scotland squads in coin form from the Esso garage collection.  The main thing I remember is that they had a coin with David Platt's face but named it David Rocastle.

Think I've still got them at my parents' somewhere.

I dread to think what it cost to complete (ever so nearly ) ... think I got pulled in by the initial low cost issues ... that volley v Belgium .. I think :) 

So do we think AM were the band Emily hinted about for the NME awards? There was also that interview where she dodged the question about them coming back.

If they are about and the band want to play they are a very safe bet. They’ve become a bit elusive to UK festival shows but if they want to do it I guess they fit the bill pretty well.

Can you believe their last show at Glasto was 7+ years ago? I was there and I remember it very well. It wasn’t as bad as people said and I enjoyed it, but it’s mad to think that (again) there will be a whole generation of attendees who haven’t seen them at the festival.

I really wonder though what their set lists will look like now with another album on top of Tranquility. Might be difficult to squeeze a bit of every album on their set list now.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So do we think AM were the band Emily hinted about for the NME awards? There was also that interview where she dodged the question about them coming back.

If they are about and the band want to play they are a very safe bet. They’ve become a bit elusive to UK festival shows but if they want to do it I guess they fit the bill pretty well.

Can you believe their last show at Glasto was 7+ years ago? I was there and I remember it very well. It wasn’t as bad as people said and I enjoyed it, but it’s mad to think that (again) there will be a whole generation of attendees who haven’t seen them at the festival.

I really wonder though what their set lists will look like now with another album on top of Tranquility. Might be difficult to squeeze a bit of every album on their set list now.

Without this turning into a set list thread, it’ll probably contain very little of Tranquility Base and lots of AM. And way too much Favourite Worst Nightmare.

It is strange to think it would have been only six years between their first two and they’d changed so much in that time, and then since 2013 not a great deal has changed. Guess it’s nice for every generation of Glastonburygoers to have a chance to be disappointed by Arctic Monkeys.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Without this turning into a set list thread, it’ll probably contain very little of Tranquility Base and lots of AM. And way too much Favourite Worst Nightmare.

It is strange to think it would have been only six years between their first two and they’d changed so much in that time, and then since 2013 not a great deal has changed. Guess it’s nice for every generation of Glastonburygoers to have a chance to be disappointed by Arctic Monkeys.

If they have a new album throw that on too. They will probably play a few from Tranquility and lots of AM, I just wonder if Humbug and Suck It And See are history...

Funnily enough I had Everything You've Come To Expect on last night for the first time in ages, dunno why its been so long cause I think it's a great record. Obviously he then followed it up with TBH&C which was another great record and a big improvement on AM. I think it would be unfair to say that Turner (and by proxy the band) haven't evolved and improved since they last time they headlined. 

re; Humbug and SIAS: I'd be very surprised if Crying Lightening drops out of their setlists. Cornerstone too, not so confident about the likes of Don't Sit Down or She's Thunderstorms right enough. Think that's most likely to be the biggest casualty  

7 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Funnily enough I had Everything You've Come To Expect on last night for the first time in ages, dunno why its been so long cause I think it's a great record. Obviously he then followed it up with TBH&C which was another great record and a big improvement on AM. I think it would be unfair to say that Turner (and by proxy the band) haven't evolved and improved since they last time they headlined. 

re; Humbug and SIAS: I'd be very surprised if Crying Lightening drops out of their setlists. Cornerstone too, not so confident about the likes of Don't Sit Down or She's Thunderstorms right enough. Think that's most likely to be the biggest casualty  

They’re at that stage now where they can just play the big hitters from each album plus the odd favourite to make a full set, especially with three or four from a new album to come:

WPSIAM - Dancefloor, Mardy Bum, Sun Goes Down, San Fran

FWN - Brainstom, Fluroescent, 505, Yellow Bricks,

Humbug: Crying Lightning, Cornerstone, Pretty Visitors

SIAS: Brick By Brick

AM: DIWK, RU Mine, Arabella, WDYACMWYH, SOOI

TBHC: 4 out of 5

Add a few from the next album and you have yourself a pretty comprehensive setlist.