2021 Headliners

Just now, Chapple12345 said:

Emily said they had 3 headliners pencilled in for 2020 back in 2017, however there was a big rumour for Macca in 2019 before the Killers came in so it just shows how far things can be planned in advance 

But Kendrick apparently only decided he was touring in September last year so maybe Taylor and someone else were pencilled in but that someone else was rubbed out because it was only pencil after all.

53 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

When you say technically...?

Because I think we know that Glasto usually works off an informal yes from most headliners before pen to paper.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But Kendrick apparently only decided he was touring in September last year so maybe Taylor and someone else were pencilled in but that someone else was rubbed out because it was only pencil after all.

I interpret this as Kendrick only putting pen to paper in September. Glasto had a “yes” from him way before that. Looking back there’s too many clues that Glasto had both him and Swift in the bag long before.

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I interpret this as Kendrick only putting pen to paper in September. Glasto had a “yes” from him way before that. Looking back there’s too many clues that Glasto had both him and Swift in the bag long before.

I still reckon this could be the case this year, not sure Glastonbury is in the same rush as everyone else to get an announcement out. 

All the speculation flying about round here is definitely warranted but we've got a weird year ahead of us. 2020s headliners are still my frontrunners for the time being and I'm not sure anyone can definitely tell me otherwise. 

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Having headliners booked this far ahead is pretty unusual for Glastonbury isn't it? Pencilled in maybe, but not booked.

Emily has stated theyve had times when they had headliners sorted 2 years in advance, so its not that strange. And as its been shown with other europe festivals starting their line up announcements at the end of the summer of whatever respective year we are in it seems the norm to have the top of the bill taken care of that far in advance. Lets look at Primavera for example, you mean to say theyre not constantly working on the following year so that they can announce a big act during the festival itself? They announced Pavement for 2020 in the middle of the 2019 event. That certainly translates to being 15 - 18 months ahead of where they need to be.

Edited by Suprefan

1 hour ago, Chapple12345 said:

Emily said they had 3 headliners pencilled in for 2020 back in 2017, however there was a big rumour for Macca in 2019 before the Killers came in so it just shows how far things can be planned in advance 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Because I think we know that Glasto usually works off an informal yes from most headliners before pen to paper.

47 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Emily has stated theyve had times when they had headliners sorted 2 years in advance, so its not that strange. And as its been shown with other europe festivals starting their line up announcements at the end of the summer of whatever respective year we are in it seems the norm to have the top of the bill taken care of that far in advance. Lets look at Primavera for example, you mean to say theyre not constantly working on the following year so that they can announce a big act during the festival itself? They announced Pavement for 2020 in the middle of the 2019 event. That certainly translates to being 15 - 18 months ahead of where they need to be.

So like I said, pencilled in but not booked.

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

So like I said, pencilled in but not booked.

I guess this goes down to minute details but I don’t see pencilled in and a verbal yes as the same thing. From what Emily has said in the past and what we’ve gathered from other sources it seems like Glastonbury work off a verbal yes for a while before all the contracts are concluded. Pencilled in to me sounds like the development stages where they aren’t quite sure if the act will accept yet, so they are planning the lineup as if the act has agreed.

Another example of that is the stones contracts not being completed until the morning they were announced. They were working off a verbal yes from the band for a long time though and they were pretty confident that the stones were going to show up. Another one is Adele agreeing to play during Kanye’s set and a hand shake to seal the deal. From that point on Adele’s team would have been working around the Glastonbury date regardless of whether the contracts were done and dusted. 

Maybe i’m being too pedantic but pencilled in to me doesn’t sound the same as an act full on agreeing to do it.

To link this all back to Kendrick and Taylor it makes sense that both of these acts would have agreed for 2020 in 2017. Both of these acts toured before 2020 in 2018 when the festival was not on. Therefore it makes sense that both of these acts would agree to headline the next time they planned to tour, which would be 2020.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I guess this goes down to minute details but I don’t see pencilled in and a verbal yes as the same thing. 

I should imagine most people would. In 2015, Adele says to Emily that she’ll do it the following year. She’s then pencilled in on the planner for 2016.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

I should imagine most people would. In 2015, Adele says to Emily that she’ll do it the following year. She’s then pencilled in on the planner for 2016.

Much of a muchness but to me pencilled in sounds like there’s nothing binding in the agreement, when we know most acts agree, sort things, and spend money way before all the contracts are concluded. To the point where it would be a breach of a verbal contract if one party changed their plans.

23 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Comments like this baffle me. Where you been? Do you have any gay mates?

sure. and like most people, none of them have mentioned Lady Gaga's music in about 10 years. I mean, i'm sure some still listen to her, like plenty of others do, but no-one is shouting about a new Lady Gaga album these days. When she tours again, people will want to hear Born This Way, Alejandro and Poker Face, not whatever the lead single was from her last album, or "that one with Ariana Grande whose title we've already forgotten".

I can barely even fathom how discussion of new Lady Gaga music would even come up now tbh. And unless you specifically sought it out, or have Capital FM on all day, I'm not sure how anyone would even hear it in the last 6 weeks.

Maybe it's an age thing, you're like 21 or something right? In your 30s, pretty much no-one is making a big deal about any album, let alone yet another one from an act widely seen to have peaked a decade ago, who is far better known currently for her acting, than her music.

It would be similar to Katy Perry, some massive hits about 10 years ago that everyone would know to hear, diminishing returns musically since then, and most people wouldn't even know what her last album was, let alone have listened to it. When she releases her new album in a month, it'll probably go to no.1, it'll probably have a few playlisted singles that will quickly be forgotten, but most people who know her and know Firework or Roar won't know that she has an album out, and a mention of her name will be met with a "oh yeah, isn't she a judge on some talent show these days?".

7 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

sure. and like most people, none of them have mentioned Lady Gaga's music in about 10 years. I mean, i'm sure some still listen to her, like plenty of others do, but no-one is shouting about a new Lady Gaga album these days. When she tours again, people will want to hear Born This Way, Alejandro and Poker Face, not whatever the lead single was from her last album, or "that one with Ariana Grande whose title we've already forgotten".

I can barely even fathom how discussion of new Lady Gaga music would even come up now tbh. And unless you specifically sought it out, or have Capital FM on all day, I'm not sure how anyone would even hear it in the last 6 weeks.

Maybe it's an age thing, you're like 21 or something right? In your 30s, pretty much no-one is making a big deal about any album, let alone yet another one from an act widely seen to have peaked a decade ago, who is far better known currently for her acting, than her music.

It would be similar to Katy Perry, some massive hits about 10 years ago that everyone would know to hear, diminishing returns musically since then, and most people wouldn't even know what her last album was, let alone have listened to it. When she releases her new album in a month, it'll probably go to no.1, it'll probably have a few playlisted singles that will quickly be forgotten, but most people who know her and know Firework or Roar won't know that she has an album out, and a mention of her name will be met with a "oh yeah, isn't she a judge on some talent show these days?".

Stop! She’s already dead!

0CD70F72-285A-4DEA-8DF8-8DCB2C8B67D3.gif

Edited by Matt42

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

Did you just try and use the argument "Gaga doesn't have any hits, you'd only hear her music if you listen to a top 40 radio station"...

11 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Did you just try and use the argument "Gaga doesn't have any hits, you'd only hear her music if you listen to a top 40 radio station"...

I don't listen to a Top 40 radio station, and I never hear any of her music - which I know isn't exactly what you were getting at - but of curiosity, and as someone who would probably watch her should she headline, where is her music played these days?

She has 6 UK number ones and two of them we released in the past two years.

Joanne and Cheek to Cheek are the only  albums of hers which haven’t gone #1 here and pretty much every single she’s released has been a top 10 hit.

Its much easier to just say you don’t really rate her as an artist. Rather than try and put it in a way that she’s not that big or relevant.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I don't listen to a Top 40 radio station, and I never hear any of her music - which I know isn't exactly what you were getting at - but of curiosity, and as someone who would probably watch her should she headline, where is her music played these days?

Good question. I think (?) she occasionally pops up on 6 Music, but I'm like you and not a "mainstream" radio listener for the most part, so I have to go looking for her stuff.

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Does Taylor Swift or Kendrick Lamar get played outside top 40 radio?

Just now, Matt42 said:

I occasionally hear Kendrick, never to my knowledge do I hear Taylor.

I'm in my 40s, I have no kids, my points of reference are obviously going to be different.  Add  in how much ways of listening to music has changed over, say, the last 20 years and it's easy to miss where things are!

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

TS not so much.  I think Kenny pops up occasionally.

My radio stations are pretty limited tbh, 6Music is my go to followed by Chill, Classic FM (yes I know) and the Absolute stations. Very rarely Radio 1 if Mrs Q and I are in the car together and can't agree on a playlist or something. Although my biggest success of lockdown is getting her to listen to 6Music.