2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

As much as I hate to say it though, they are around when acts have pulled out and the list isn’t extensive and when you need to cover two headliners...

and didn’t the Peppers say they would do it for free for when they didn’t turn up or has that offer expired?  At the moment it’s up there with the most likely based on what we have. With the other options I would see them but it’s still shit. 

33 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

As much as I hate to say it though, they are around when acts have pulled out and the list isn’t extensive and when you need to cover two headliners...

and didn’t the Peppers say they would do it for free for when they didn’t turn up or has that offer expired?  At the moment it’s up there with the most likely based on what we have. With the other options I would see them but it’s still shit. 

Didn’t ME say he wouldn’t let RHCP into the festival, even as ticket holders?

52 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

and didn’t the Peppers say they would do it for free for when they didn’t turn up or has that offer expired?

Nah they pulled out in 1993 because Flea was diagnosed with ME. They offered to play for free in 2007 because they were touring and I guess they thought it might have been a good gig for them but the headliners were already lined up so they didn't get a look-in.

21 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Didn’t ME say he wouldn’t let RHCP into the festival, even as ticket holders?

He might have, but he says a lot of things that change in time.  He said that The Cure wouldn't headline again, didn't he? And that The Fall and James were banned?

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nah they pulled out in 1993 because Flea was diagnosed with ME. They offered to play for free in 2007 because they were touring and I guess they thought it might have been a good gig for them but the headliners were already lined up so they didn't get a look-in.

The offer was in 2005, and came when Kylie pulled out.

The festival, rightly, thought that bumping up Basement Jaxx to headline the Pyramid was a better option than getting RHCP for free.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

The offer was in 2005, and came when Kylie pulled out.

The festival, rightly, thought that bumping up Basement Jaxx to headline the Pyramid was a better option than getting RHCP for free.

Is this not what you're referring to? https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/07/070123a.shtml

Doesn't seem like they were touring much in 2005. I think you're wrong.

1 minute ago, incident said:

The BBC version of the same story (also from 2007) suggest they specifically offered to replace Kylie 2 years previously -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6312417.stm

I see, may be right then - sorry. I'd always assumed that it was 2007 because it was Martin Elbourne talking to eFestivals about 2007 acts with that tidbit thrown in there.

Still and all, it says right there that the space had already been filled. They're not turning down RHCP during their run of successful massive-selling albums around the turn of the century if there was a space free. Or now even, but hopefully some other acts have got their foot in the door ahead of them.

To be honest, I took "the space was already filled" as being a nice way of saying "no, not you". Especially with hindsight.

If the festival had even the slightest interest, then surely they'd have been booked at some point in the 15 years since - if the band were interested enough that they'd make a special trip to the UK and do it for free, then even if the slot was legitimately filled that year it would naturally lead to a conversation and the oppoutunity to get one of the 07 (or 08) headliners nailed down early.

Honestly, I'd love it to be the Chilis for two reasons:

1. I'd have a great time watching them; and, almost more importantly, 

2. The reactions around here would be absolutely priceless and worth it for so many of the hot takes that pop up. 

The reaction of the general public to their announcement would be positive on the whole as well I think. Make it so Emily. 

4 hours ago, incident said:

To be honest, I took "the space was already filled" as being a nice way of saying "no, not you". Especially with hindsight.

If the festival had even the slightest interest, then surely they'd have been booked at some point in the 15 years since - if the band were interested enough that they'd make a special trip to the UK and do it for free, then even if the slot was legitimately filled that year it would naturally lead to a conversation and the oppoutunity to get one of the 07 (or 08) headliners nailed down early.

I don’t see it necessarily as the festival being interested to book them next year, rather they may be left with few other options. And at the end of the day, an act the size of Chillis as a backup, “ugh fine we will give them a call” type option is still a big booking.

I don’t think they were actively pursuing The Killers for years on end either, but when your preferred options fall through sometimes you have to go for something you normally wouldn’t fancy. 2020 was probably the perfect template for what Emily wants as headliners in a perfect world, but unfortunately those many moving parts are unlikely to line up so perfectly every year.

8 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'd strongly dispute this. I still think guitar music is pumping out objectively better music than pop but it's all being done by girls/girl fronted bands so it's not hitting the mainstream the way it would if it was a standard lads band.

Well that's the issue - I know I love a lot of those same acts as you but they're not reaching headliner level. There are more new, quality pop acts that have risen to headliner status than there are new guitar acts in that same position over the last 5-10 years. And then you've got the acts that are on the cusp of really blowing up to that level in the next few years, like Billie (if you want to argue she's not there already), Lizzo, Sigrid, Chris etc.

I guess the moral of the story is whichever way you slice it, women are killing it and dudes need to get their arses in gear!

7 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Aye, said the same a few pages back. They’re a headline sized band in the area next year - they have to be taken seriously as contenders.

Why would Emily choose the Chillis when the The 1975 are available and gagging to do it?  Just wouldn’t make sense at all.  I know many of you are not fans of The 1975, but they are way more relevant than the Chillis at the moment, are British, have served their time with two previous appearances, and from my perspective anyway are miles better than the Chillis.

The 1975 are currently at their peak whereas the Chillis are well past it - surely that’s an easy call?

Friday - The 1975

Saturday - Macca

Sunday - Gaga

That would really make up for losing this years headliners for me anyway

I'll put my hand up and say I liked Chillis, and Frusciante is a bit of an inspiration for me as a guitarist. I still find their songs really fun and satisfying to learn on guitar so there's always a soft spot there.

However

I have no interest in seeing them in 2021. They're a band that have aged incredibly poorly. There's too much exciting stuff at Glastonbury to spend 2 hours watching a band 25 years past their peak.

26 minutes ago, jparx said:

Well that's the issue - I know I love a lot of those same acts as you but they're not reaching headliner level. There are more new, quality pop acts that have risen to headliner status than there are new guitar acts in that same position over the last 5-10 years. And then you've got the acts that are on the cusp of really blowing up to that level in the next few years, like Billie (if you want to argue she's not there already), Lizzo, Sigrid, Chris etc.

I guess the moral of the story is whichever way you slice it, women are killing it and dudes need to get their arses in gear!

I was thinking about this the other day.

Looking through past line ups and you see your Coldplays, Oasis, Radiohead, Muse et al all playing lower slots before they hit the big time.

When you look at the line ups from the past decade it’s hard to see which guitar bands are going to step up to that level.

6 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Why would Emily choose the Chillis when the The 1975 are available and gagging to do it?  Just wouldn’t make sense at all.  I know many of you are not fans of The 1975, but they are way more relevant than the Chillis at the moment, are British, have served their time with two previous appearances, and from my perspective anyway are miles better than the Chillis.

The 1975 are currently at their peak whereas the Chillis are well past it - surely that’s an easy call?

Friday - The 1975

Saturday - Macca

Sunday - Gaga

That would really make up for losing this years headliners for me anyway

Sure, but it's all down to scheduling. RHCP are actively being added to festivals around Glastonbury as replacements for Taylor/Kendrick. I don't think for one second Emily would be grinning ear to ear when signing the contract with RHCP, but it may well be a The Who/The Killers type deal.

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

I was thinking about this the other day.

Looking through past line ups and you see your Coldplays, Oasis, Radiohead, Muse et al all playing lower slots before they hit the big time.

When you look at the line ups from the past decade it’s hard to see which guitar bands are going to step up to that level.

Royal Blood were probably on course but that seems to have majorly fizzled. Same for the "F" word as well. There seems to be something preventing them for breaking through to the top level.

'75 are the one, really.