Booking Billie would be a ballsy move, but based on just about every interview I've ever read with Emily it feels like the sort of play she'd make rather than the reactionary choice of booking the likes of Green Day or Billy Banjo.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When Lost Prophets man gets out of prison then yes, by all means he is legally entitled to make music and attempt to distribute and play it publicly. Of course it’s highly unlikely that he would be ab

Why? Are you in Widnes protection?

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

AM is still nothing more than a rumour that maybe they'll be doing something next year as far as I am aware - there is still nothing other than "oh, its been a while since there last album and last time they played glasto" to realistically suggest that they will be back for G.

They strike me as a band anyway who would have quite happily pushed plans back a year when they couldnt get into the studio to record over lockdown.

Arguably you could chuck The Strokes in there and technically Foals are about too, but I'd say Billie is comfortably bigger than both of those acts

Good points. I still want to keep Arctics on my radar just so they don't sneak up on me though! I wouldn't begrudge them headlining if we get a good mix of headliners, just hope they go for some more interesting options alongside.

I think even the most ardent "Billie won't headline next year" people would have to concede she's more likely than The Strokes or Foals?

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Booking Billie would be a ballsy move, but based on just about every interview I've ever read with Emily it feels like the sort of play she'd make rather than the reactionary choice of booking the likes of Green Day or Billy Banjo.

Think that about sums it up.

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Looking at what happened 10 or 15 years ago when Michael was running the show doesn't necessarily give much of a steer as to what may happen next year.

A reasonable point, it was only 11 eleven years ago that Neil Young and Springsteen were headlining. Feels highly unlikely we’d see two of those bookings in the same year again.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A reasonable point, it was only 11 eleven years ago that Neil Young and Springsteen were headlining. Feels highly unlikely we’d see two of those bookings in the same year again.

I know it will be seen as progress in a lot of ways but I do think it'd be a shame if two acts of that calibre were available and Glastonbury didn't book them. 

That was my first Glastonbury so to have those two topping the bill was absolutely incredible. One of very few years I've seen more than one Pyramid headliner. 

I’ve been reading this thread for the last few days in a kind of bemusement. I thought the Billie E stuff was a bit of a joke, I didn’t think she was even close to headlining! But people seem to really believe she can!

Is Billie E really more famous then Gaga was in 2009, or Katie Perry and Lorde in 2017? I’m no pop expert but as an outsider, to me, she seems closer to either of those the (in terms of fame/ number of hits) then to Taylor Swift (now) or Beyoncé (even in 2008). 

As someone not invested in pop, I saw Lorde and Perry and I would of seen Gaga, Taylor and Beyoncé but I went nowhere near Billie in 2019, and would be incredibly surprised to see her headline! I think even Miley Cyrus is more famous to me (I didn’t see her either).

To me at least she seems perfect for a midday pyramid slot and absolutely no higher. Maybe I’m just too old now to keep up with trends!

Edited by kemosabe
24 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I know it will be seen as progress in a lot of ways but I do think it'd be a shame if two acts of that calibre were available and Glastonbury didn't book them. 

That was my first Glastonbury so to have those two topping the bill was absolutely incredible. One of very few years I've seen more than one Pyramid headliner. 

Not so much the calibre, more that they’d be unlikely to book two older white male heritage guitar acts to headline the same year.

2 hours ago, st dan said:

Anybody think The xx could be in with a shout? 

With a new album hopefully coming before next year, and having already headlined the Other, I think they’re due a big slot - although headlining is probably too unlikely. 

Definitely not, more likely to see them headlining the Other imo. Loved their 2017 sub set and their headline set at All Points East was amazing but don't think it'd work on the Pyramid cos they don't really have any properly well known to the general public singalong tunes

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This exactly. Don't even think it's that ballsy. Do I think it will happen? I was going to say not next year, but wouldn't be surprised. There is no pattern remember. Despite Kendrick clearly being talented, productive and acclaimed, I think he's more of an 'out there' headliner than Billie in the UK festival market...

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Kendrick (likely not around)

Macca

Taylor (likely not around)

The 1975

Gaga (dates currently don't match up, but hopefully that changes)

Arctic Monkeys

RHCP

Mumford and Sons (?!)

Gorillaz (?!)

Flo. I'm still of the opinion that she was one of the pencilled in names for 2021 before all this started.

Admittedly based on nothing more a very dubious 3rd hand drunken conversation, but it makes all the sense in the world.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Flo. I'm still of the opinion that she was one of the pencilled in names for 2021 before all this started.

Admittedly based on nothing more a very dubious 3rd hand drunken conversation, but it makes all the sense in the world.

What's this? I'd take Flo headlining all day long.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

What's this? I'd take Flo headlining all day long.

My memory isn't as clear as I'd like, but at a festival last year,  and came indirectly from someone who'd worked in artist liaison* at Glastonbury earlier in the season.

Words to the effect of "She's been promised it / She's agreed to do it (can't remember which) on the next album."

I've added the (I think reasonable) assumption that the next album will equate to 2021 though could mean 2022 especially with stuff getting pushed back.

Could well be usual festival bullshit, but as I said it makes sense to me.

* Full disclosure, this is not anywhere near as impressive or reliable as it may sound. The staff rumour mill can be even less reliable than the public rumour mill at times.

18 minutes ago, incident said:

My memory isn't as clear as I'd like, but at a festival last year,  and came indirectly from someone who'd worked in artist liaison* at Glastonbury earlier in the season.

Words to the effect of "She's been promised it / She's agreed to do it (can't remember which) on the next album."

I've added the (I think reasonable) assumption that the next album will equate to 2021 though could mean 2022 especially with stuff getting pushed back.

Could well be usual festival bullshit, but as I said it makes sense to me.

* Full disclosure, this is not anywhere near as impressive or reliable as it may sound. The staff rumour mill can be even less reliable than the public rumour mill at times.

Ha that's fine - interesting none the less when we're fairly thin on other info at this point.

It would be a major result if the "one returning headliner" for 2021 was Florence. Pretty much guarantees a really interesting set of headliners for me, ruling out the Coldplays and the like.

3 hours ago, st dan said:

Anybody think The xx could be in with a shout? 

With a new album hopefully coming before next year, and having already headlined the Other, I think they’re due a big slot - although headlining is probably too unlikely. 

Definitely not for next year. It's unlikely they'll have a new album out by then anyway. Jamie has a new album out this year, and is playing solo next summer (Primavera, possibly elsewhere?) and Romy has a solo album out later this year too.

Unlikely they'll be touring as a band next summer I'd have thought.

A new album with a couple of hits and they could possibly be in 2022/2023.