20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Kings of Leon? I know they were just about to release album #3 at the time but they were still seen as something of a niche band at that stage.

(Sex on Fire, which made them huge, wouldn’t arrive for another year)

Killers headlined around album #2 too IIRC.

They were about to release album #4, and had already had their fair share of UK success and had been subbing several festivals for a good few years - Glastonbury just got in there before the explosion that same year.

Killers I'll give you. It seemed the Eavi were really taken with them and saw the star power immediately, bumping them from a jam packed mid-JP slot to Pyramid sub on just their first album in a year and then headlining the next festival two years later.

edit: actually I seem to remember The Killers being a late fill in (again) for somebody else dropping out, or at least recall an interview with Brandon and how the Eavi had to really beg him to take the headline slot for some reason.

Other than that, I think it's largely/exclusively been British acts who get that favourable treatment. Not to say it couldn't change, but Glastonbury does seem to favour homegrown acts in that respect, as big US acts get that treatment from Coachella/elsewhere so really don't need the helping hand.

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When Lost Prophets man gets out of prison then yes, by all means he is legally entitled to make music and attempt to distribute and play it publicly. Of course it’s highly unlikely that he would be ab

Why? Are you in Widnes protection?

Just my two cents: I'm here to chat about music. That's what I love about this place - there's some fantastic discussion to be had and it's a tremendous resource (as I again found this morning wi

Posted Images

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

In terms of first time headliners, who have been given a “leg up” to headliner status, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Stormzy etc....

Has there ever been a non-British act in this position? 

I was trying to think of other artists other than AM and Stormzy that had got the gig on just one album and I couldn’t think of anyone else.

I think all those artists, apart from all being British also captured a moment at that time.

Billy is big, no doubt, but Glastonbury are in the enviable position that they don’t need to book artists based purely on how popular they are just to shift tickets. A festival like I don’t know, Reading might try and book her purely for her popularity because it would help shift tickets, but Glastonbury don’t need to do that.

They don’t have to chase what’s popular, so the only other reason they might go out of the way to book her would be that she is a woman, which of you ask me defeats the purpose of doing it. Somebody mentioned Bieber, similar sort of initial popularity but I didn’t remember anyone suggesting he should headline because of it, or the festival actively pursuing him.

If it’s a question of wanting a female to headline them they should go after gaga well before billy, not least because she smashed her other stage performance so if nothing else has earned it. Something you can also say about Stormzy from the year before he headlined as well. Booking someone just because they’re really big right now is wrong imo.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They don’t have to chase what’s popular, so the only other reason they might go out of the way to book her would be that she is a woman, which of you ask me defeats the purpose of doing it. 

Yeah that's the ONLY reason why Glastonbury Festival would want to book Billie Eilish 🤦‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If it’s a question of wanting a female to headline them they should go after gaga

👑 🐝 

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Only OTHER reason

Thanks for selectivity editing my post 

If they don't have to book acts that are popular, for what reason do they book acts? 

I find it problematic that she is being reduced to being touted as a headliner just because she is popular and or a female. Isn't every headliner touted because they are popular in some way shape or form? 

I think there is a lot of ignoring what she's done as an artist and a lot of reductive language being used to describe her by people purely based on their own lack of interest.

Edited by jyoung
12 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

👑 🐝 

Been there. Smashed it. Probably won't happen again.

Gaga is the obvious option if they feel a female headliner is necessary in Taylor's absence (or, hopefully, if she was already lined up to headline 2021), but if she's not up to it then I'm sure they'll just go for whoever's available and suitable rather than just going down the line of female acts. 

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I find it problematic that she is being reduced to being touted as a headliner just because she is popular and or a female. Isn't every headliner touted because they are popular in some way shape or form? 

I think there is a lot of ignoring what she's done as an artist and a lot of reductive language being used to describe her by people purely based on their own lack of interest.

On the flip side, I think a lot of her fans on here are reducing her to 'the replacement female' if Taylor is out. I get that she's a huge deal at the moment and that a lot of festivals seem to be keen to strike whilst the irons hot and get her headlining, but those festivals have also tended to be either festivals that have multiple headliners each night which she is one of, or slightly smaller festivals . The idea that Glastonbury would go for her, one album in, amidst a sea of hype, after she's already played the festival touring that same album, is a pretty wild train of thought to me.

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The idea that Glastonbury would go for her, one album in, amidst a sea of hype, after she's already played the festival touring that same album, is a pretty wild train of thought to me.

They did with Stormzy so maybe it's not that wild?

13 minutes ago, jyoung said:

If they don't have to book acts that are popular, for what reason do they book acts? 

I get your point, but it's an inevitable part of the conversation when the festival have said that they want to do more to get a strong gender balance across the festival, including at headliner level.  Of course they're only going to put people up there who are talented and have the material and all the rest of it, but at the same time that goal to have greater female representation inevitably means that it's got to be considered as part of the decision, surely?

And that's not a bad thing in my mind; it's a conscious change to make women at the top of the bill more normalised, which it absolutely should be.

22 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I struggle to think of any young, male, American acts who have burst onto the scene and there has been a clamour for them to headline off their first album, so like it or not the female element comes into it. The festival themselves have expressed a desire to book more woman.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
4 minutes ago, Quark said:

And that's not a bad thing in my mind; it's a conscious change to make women at the top of the bill more normalised, which it absolutely should be.

That's true, good point.

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

They did with Stormzy so maybe it's not that wild?

100% was supposed to have a new album out by then, British, cultural moment, smashed his OS sub slot, politically aligned with the festival... the list goes on.

Not to say Billie couldn't have a new album out between now and the festival, but just had a google of it and it doesn't seem like she's in a rush to get it out, and why should she? She's still very much riding the wave of her first album and she was booked to headline these few festivals off the back of it, so no rush at all for her. I'm sure Glastonbury would rather get her later with more material under her belt so that she can really knock it out of the park with an all timer, rather than a 'well she ain't Taylor but here's her 2019 set + a Bond song and some EP tracks' kind of deal, 'cause if she plays next year then I doubt she's gonna get another stab at it.

Edited by FloorFiller

I agree with the above comments. Billie is the "it" artist at the moment and fair play, shes made a connection But Dont see why theres this rush to thrust her onto top billing.  

Whatever happens there needs to be at least one female artist topping the billing. Thoughts on a Florence and Haim Headline and undercard? 

Billie Eilish:

• Has tapped in to something and is speaking to young people more than any other act for years
  • Already has more bigger singles than many past headliners
  • Album was critically and commercially a huge hit
  • Swept up at the Grammys
  • Has already played Glastonbury to a huge crowd
  • Is already booked as a festival headliner across Europe and sold out a run of shows here in the UK in half an hour
  • Has an album and a 9 track EP, plus two singles released already since When We All Fall Asleep. More than enough material to headline with
  • "Music is too downbeat for a headliner" - I think we've been there before when talking about headliners? I was guilty of that with Adele and had all the egg on my face. I've learned my lesson there. Plus, Billie's quieter stuff still tends to go off live
  • I don't tend to put too much stock in Spotify, but fwiw she's the 18th most listened to act in the world 
  • Will likely have at least some new material by 2021 festival, if not a full album

I think she'd fucking smash it headlining the Pyramid. She isn't a flash in the pan artist, or someone who just has a lot of hype around her now - she's already amassing a Taylor Swift style rabid fanbase that will be there to stay. I think she's a no brainer.

Annoyingly this won't embed, but Billie Eilish circle pits on the Pyramid? Sign me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg_vBQWGyhM

• Upvote 2

Anybody think The xx could be in with a shout? 

With a new album hopefully coming before next year, and having already headlined the Other, I think they’re due a big slot - although headlining is probably too unlikely. 

1 minute ago, aj6658 said:

I agree with the above comments. Billie is the "it" artist at the moment and fair play, shes made a connection But Dont see why theres this rush to thrust her onto top billing.  

Whatever happens there needs to be at least one female artist topping the billing. Thoughts on a Florence and Haim Headline and undercard? 

For me - all day long. Yes yes yes. Not sure it's on the cards for next year.

Annoyingly, Ken has info that HAIM may not be around next year. According to him, the Ireland show was rebooked before they fully committed to tour next year, and now there are doubts whether or not they want to travel in 2021. Certainly hope it's wrong or else i've lost 4 of my top 5 acts from 2020...

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Annoyingly, Ken has info that HAIM may not be around next year. According to him, the Ireland show was rebooked before they fully committed to tour next year, and now there are doubts whether or not they want to travel in 2021. Certainly hope it's wrong or else i've lost 4 of my top 5 acts from 2020.

That would be vexing.  One of those bands I'd never really paid much attention before they started releasing the track from this album, and never caught them live.  Hoked on Women In Music, would love to see them next year

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Billie Eilish:

• Has tapped in to something and is speaking to young people more than any other act for years
  • Is already booked as a festival headliner across Europe and sold out a run of shows here in the UK in half an hour
  • Has an album and a 9 track EP, plus two singles released already since When We All Fall Asleep. More than enough material to headline with
  • "Music is too downbeat for a headliner" - I think we've been there before when talking about headliners? I was guilty of that with Adele and had all the egg on my face. I've learned my lesson there. Plus, Billie's quieter stuff still tends to go off live
  • I don't tend to put too much stock in Spotify, but fwiw she's the 18th most listened to act in the world 
  • Will likely have at least some new material by 2021 festival, if not a full album

I think she'd fucking smash it headlining the Pyramid. She isn't a flash in the pan artist, or someone who just has a lot of hype around her now - she's already amassing a Taylor Swift style rabid fanbase that will be there to stay. I think she's a no brainer.

Annoyingly this won't embed, but Billie Eilish circle pits on the Pyramid? Sign me up.

Whilst a don’t disagree with any of your points I do to an extent with the one you’ve bolded.

Young people inevitably get old, the young people she’s tapped into will be replaced with other young people that someone else will tap into later on down the the line.

We were all young once and we all had an artist that tapped into us. 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Anybody think The xx could be in with a shout? 

With a new album hopefully coming before next year, and having already headlined the Other, I think they’re due a big slot - although headlining is probably too unlikely. 

Can’t see that at all.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

That would be vexing.  One of those bands I'd never really paid much attention before they started releasing the track from this album, and never caught them live.  Hoked on Women In Music, would love to see them next year

Absolutely. The info was more “they may be around but it’s not definite” so I’m keeping everything crossed. It explains why they were absent from the Mad Cool announcement though.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Whilst a don’t disagree with any of your points I do to an extent with the one you’ve bolded.

Young people inevitably get old, the young people she’s tapped into will be replaced with other young people that someone else will tap into later on down the the line.

We were all young once and we all had an artist that tapped into us. 

Didn’t happen with Taylor Swift. She developed a huge and devoted fan base early on and that’s persisted and continued to grow throughout her career.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Didn’t happen with Taylor Swift. She developed a huge and devoted fan base early on and that’s persisted and continued to grow throughout her career.

has it,  i would say her fanbase seems to be mostly people who were young-ish in the early 2000s and have aged with her and are now in their 20s

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Billie Eilish:

Understand all your points and don't disagree if I'm honest.

To say someone's music is 'too downbeat to headline' is ridiculous, what a weird statement whoever made that.

All I would say is that although the points you are making are relatively valid, she isn't at Glastonbury headliner status for 2021. Sweeping up at the Grammys, playing previously to a huge crowd, and having bigger singles does not put her in the same category as Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, Coldplay etc.

If you took out all the points you have made and compared her 'as a brand' to previous Glastonbury headliners of the past 4 years (barring Stormzy, which was British grime headlining the festival) then she falls short as a Glastonbury headliner for 2021.

My take on it is that there are much bigger acts at present who can (and will be willing) to headline. If Taylor drops out, they will pull one of these in.

Sure, she is shit hot at the minute (label plants always are) but not 2021. 2023 I think.

She obviously is big enough to to sub in 2021 on Pyramid, which I see as much more likely (but then what do I know).

14 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

Understand all your points and don't disagree if I'm honest.

To say someone's music is 'too downbeat to headline' is ridiculous, what a weird statement whoever made that.

All I would say is that although the points you are making are relatively valid, she isn't at Glastonbury headliner status for 2021. Sweeping up at the Grammys, playing previously to a huge crowd, and having bigger singles does not put her in the same category as Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, Coldplay etc.

If you took out all the points you have made and compared her 'as a brand' to previous Glastonbury headliners of the past 4 years (barring Stormzy, which was British grime headlining the festival) then she falls short as a Glastonbury headliner for 2021.

My take on it is that there are much bigger acts at present who can (and will be willing) to headline. If Taylor drops out, they will pull one of these in.

Sure, she is shit hot at the minute (label plants always are) but not 2021. 2023 I think.

She obviously is big enough to to sub in 2021 on Pyramid, which I see as much more likely (but then what do I know).

I'm just not sure I get your point. She satisfies the majority of criteria you would have for a headliner. The "brand" thing just seems very nebulous to me. All of the points I made, coupled with the notion Billie feels like a booking Emily would want to make, ESPECIALLY if they're faced with all male guitar bands headlining in 2021. The list of headliners for 2021 seems to be:

Kendrick (likely not around)

Macca

Taylor (likely not around)

The 1975

Gaga (dates currently don't match up, but hopefully that changes)

Arctic Monkeys

RHCP

Mumford and Sons (?!)

Gorillaz (?!)

I think it's more likely Billie headlines than we get three of Macca, 1975, Arctics, RHCP, Mumfords, Gorillaz etc. Unfortunately the festival are very unlikely to book two female pop acts, so Gaga being available would be the main reason I'd rule out Billie. I'd have both, but I accept that's not going to happen.

And just on the argument of "why rush?" other posters have made. If they book her to headline next year it gives them the chance of building a solid relationship with the artist. Emily clearly hitched her wagon to Stormzy last year, likely with the view that he'd ace it in 2019 but then you're also increasing the chance he will return when he's even bigger and better. As I've made clear, I believe Billie could do it in 2021 regardless, but you're also attaching the Glastonbury "brand" with Billie's, then if she's an absolute mega star in 2023 and demanding huge fees, playing stadiums etc, Glastonbury would already have a great relationship with her and you could have another Coldplay on your hands. They've clearly done that with British acts, so I don't see why they wouldn't make the same play here, regardless of Billie's nationality. There are dozens of US acts who could headline Glastonbury but never will due to the money - but if they got in there nice and early they could have a chance of luring some of these acts. 

Edited by jparx
Just now, jparx said:

Kendrick (likely not around)

Macca

Taylor (likely not around)

The 1975

Gaga (dates currently don't match up, but hopefully that changes)

Arctic Monkeys

RHCP

Mumford and Sons (?!)

Gorillaz (?!)

AM is still nothing more than a rumour that maybe they'll be doing something next year as far as I am aware - there is still nothing other than "oh, its been a while since there last album and last time they played glasto" to realistically suggest that they will be back for G.

They strike me as a band anyway who would have quite happily pushed plans back a year when they couldnt get into the studio to record over lockdown.

Arguably you could chuck The Strokes in there and technically Foals are about too, but I'd say Billie is comfortably bigger than both of those acts